Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,121 times

Advertisements

Strange that US. Conservatives give Romney a pass for putting his religion before his country when it was at war.
Do US citizens have a duty to their country before their religion in time of war , or with some religions does their duty to the religion come first ie going on a mission to convert the ungodly, rather than serving your country.

I see some in Romney's religion use the excuse, well I was available for the draft after my mission.
And that is the point, why were any allowed to put religion first, country second ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I wonder if he really put religion first or merely used it as a convenient tool to put Mitt first?

Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
It was Mitt first last and always. The guy is a heartless psychotic megalomaniac. He not only destroys companies for profit from looting pension funds he does it for fun. He does not believe anyone not in his economic class, cultural background and religion are really completely human. He considers them (us) to be some form of domesticated animal to be exploited for his benefit.

If he wins he will still not be satisfied. He believes he is destined to be King of the New World Corporate Feudalism.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
I don't know enough about the LDS to comment on them but Religious beliefs can get you a pass........
I wonder if BHO even registered????

Conscription in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
According to the Selective Service System,[75]
A conscientious objector is one who is opposed to serving in the armed forces and/or bearing arms on the grounds of moral or religious principles.[...]Beliefs which qualify a registrant for CO status may be religious in nature, but don't have to be. Beliefs may be moral or ethical; however, a man's reasons for not wanting to participate in a war must not be based on politics, expediency, or self-interest. In general, the man's lifestyle prior to making his claim must reflect his current claims.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
I don't think is it clear that Americans must put either first. We are after all, a free country that values dissent in all things.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
I don't think is it clear that Americans must put either first. We are after all, a free country that values dissent in all things.
But should we support the hypocrisy of one who supported the war/draft while conveniently avoiding both?

Old 05-22-2012, 06:01 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,344 times
Sgt. Alvin York was a very religious person but supposedly after some time reading his bible, he decided to do his part for the country.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
It's not about him putting his religion in front of country...he went on mission. I've heard Mormons refer to going on mission as the most important educational experience in their lives. Romney got a deferment while he was on mission in France for 2 1/2 years. The selective service considers going on mission as an acceptable reason for seeking a deferment. When he got back from mission, he went to college and guess what, he got more deferments....just like many others did back then. Is putting education first country second an issue or is that OK because you can't tie it to religion? A lot of people stayed in school and got deferments until the war was over but, that wasn't the case with Romney. He became eligible for the draft in 1970. There was a lottery system then and he drew a high number...any one above 195 didn't get drafted. I'm not sure exactly what his number was but it was higher.

Look, I'm not crazy about the Mormon religion myself but, people have a right to freedom of religion.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:10 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
It's not about him putting his religion in front of country...he went on mission. I've heard Mormons refer to going on mission as the most important educational experience in their lives. Romney got a deferment while he was on mission in France for 2 1/2 years. The selective service considers going on mission as an acceptable reason for seeking a deferment. When he got back from mission, he went to college and guess what, he got more deferments....just like many others did back then. Is putting education first country second an issue or is that OK because you can't tie it to religion? A lot of people stayed in school and got deferments until the war was over but, that wasn't the case with Romney. He became eligible for the draft in 1970. There was a lottery system then and he drew a high number...any one above 195 didn't get drafted. I'm not sure exactly what his number was but it was higher.

Look, I'm not crazy about the Mormon religion myself but, people have a right to freedom of religion.
Why is it that the rich guys ALWAYS seemed to have high numbers.

The only thing that drives me nuts about these types is that they were all gung-ho for the Vietnam War at the time, but wouldn't go serve. Instead they relied on their nice little deferments to get out of it. Or they somehow managed to get into the Reserves or National Guard (sound familiar?) It's chickenhawkery at it's finest.

These are the same clowns that love to crush Reverend Wright, who voluntarily gave up his college deferment (despite having one tenth of the rights that Mitt Romney had at the time) to join the Marine Corps, then the Navy. But he's a bad guy because he said "goddamn America!"

But these chickenhawk deferment seeking types that LOVED the war are seen as patriots nowadays. You have to laugh at the irony.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
It's not about him putting his religion in front of country...he went on mission.
Religious mission above his country is the issue here. Would you continue with your mission if your country needed you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies