Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 06:32 PM

102,292 posts, read 108,372,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Which doesn't mean a thing cause MOST Americans DON'T speak Spanish.
That's their problem. Why are people getting so upset about one little promotion in Dallas? You'd think Japan had dropped the Atom Bomb. 32 pages and counting, on such a trivial matter? Man, some people need to relax and find a good hobby. Ranting doesn't count as a hobby, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 PM

29,226 posts, read 22,465,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its not about more business. Its about Spanish over English.
No, it's ALL about increasing business. The same tactic could work just as well in a Russian neighborhood, a Korean neighborhood, or a Polish neighborhood.

Like the man said, learn how to make an order in Spanish and get a free pie. or don't patronize. Either way, it is business. Everybody loves pizza.

...and everyone once had to know a little Italian to order one.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,943,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's their problem. Why are people getting so upset about one little promotion in Dallas? You'd think Japan had dropped the Atom Bomb. 32 pages and counting, on such a trivial matter? Man, some people need to relax and find a good hobby. Ranting doesn't count as a hobby, btw.
If any language but Spanish; I might agree but the Spanish language's rep ain't good these days cause it's tied in real close to illegal aliens.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM

37,961 posts, read 17,937,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Like I said, I DO NOT want you to speak for me.
Like I said I speak for the individual when it comes to their rights. You included. I have no choice. EVERYONE has rights equally.

Quote:
And this is yet another example of the nuttiness that disqualifies you from speaking for me.
But that's your misguided perception. Truth is treason to those with blinders. Whenever I fight against those that want to ignore the rights of individuals you are included in those I speak for. Unless you are not human.

Quote:
Please learn to speak for self.
No need for me learn, I already know how to speak for myself. When I speak for freedom of speech that freedom is yours too. I can't take it from you. That would be stealing. You may be in favor of some forms of stealing but I'm always against it.

Quote:
I would like to fire you, but you called me princess.
You can't fire me since I don't work for you. Sucks when you can't control me huh? Unlike you I don't order people around. I don't make people do things or use force unless my rights are taken from me.

Quote:
Are you now in love with me?
Nope I don't swing that way. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 PM

30,436 posts, read 52,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Just invest in rosetta stone or one of those learning spanish apps. It is NOT that hard man.
Or get a library card, as most public libraries now offer programs like Mango Languages for free... we used to carry Rosetta Stone too, but unfortunately they suspended all library subscriptions a while back (when they realized they were losing money on us).

I speak Spanish pretty well, and use it nearly every day at work - since the town where I work now is 69% Hispanic (not including migrant workers or "undocumented" folks), and I'd guess around 40-50% of them speak little/no English. I need to brush up on my skills, though, so I recently started using Mango through our library & on the free iPhone app. What's the big deal? Most other countries actually encourage bi/multi-lingualism, but for some reason Americans are still so freakin' stubborn on that. Guess you can't fix stupid, LOL.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
If any language but Spanish; I might agree but the Spanish language's rep ain't good these days cause it's tied in real close to illegal aliens.
It's also the primary language for millions of LEGAL Hispanics here, not to mention the Mexican & Central American residents who live right below us. Not my problem that some people "tie it to illegals," in fact I find that attitude to be both uninformed and offensive - especially considering the number of legal Americans I meet every day who primarily speak Spanish. But some people would probably hear them and assume things about their citizenship, which again is extremely uninformed and bigoted.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,569,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
So, if I am an american and order in english I will have to pay for my pizza....I believe all native english speaking people should avoid this chain like a terriible virus...take out a big ad in the local paper to not order in english or patronize this slap in the face!!!

This country is going down the toilet.......... These people ain't even tryin' to assimilate........these folk are creating their own little nations inside ours!!

What is the incentive to learn english when we accomodate them so much???
We got spanish radio, spanish TV, spanish yellow pages, spanish exit signs, spanish instrutions inside boxes to assemble things......I even saw spanish pamphlets on learning to drive at the BMV!! Is that insane???? Driving!!!
It's crazy.........

Last edited by citizenkane2; 05-25-2012 at 11:14 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:17 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,569,297 times

Say What Again!! - YouTube

Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,943,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's also the primary language for millions of LEGAL Hispanics here, not to mention the Mexican & Central American residents who live right below us. Not my problem that some people "tie it to illegals," in fact I find that attitude to be both uninformed and offensive - especially considering the number of legal Americans I meet every day who primarily speak Spanish. But some people would probably hear them and assume things about their citizenship, which again is extremely uninformed and bigoted.
When it's the truth; it ain't being bigoted. Sheesh! 1 HUGE reason legal aliens became "American" like the Jews, Irish, Italians and so on was to fit in, NOT be the targets of abuse. Too many Hispanics, not all by any means, still are "Mexican" in their hearts cause it's waaay too easy to run back to Mexico, 100 years ago crossing the ocean was a huge hassle. Tho word has it many Italians went HOME to Italy around 1920 cause they couldn't make it here, that's pretty harsh to say I know.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
When it's the truth; it ain't being bigoted.
I guess you missed the part where I said legal Hispanic-Americans are often subjected to these assumptions... so when it's NOT the truth, that mindset most certainly is bigoted.

Quote:
Sheesh! 1 HUGE reason legal aliens became "American" like the Jews, Irish, Italians and so on was to fit in, NOT be the targets of abuse. Too many Hispanics, not all by any means, still are "Mexican" in their hearts cause it's waaay too easy to run back to Mexico, 100 years ago crossing the ocean was a huge hassle. Tho word has it many Italians went HOME to Italy around 1920 cause they couldn't make it here, that's pretty harsh to say I know.
My great-grandparents came from Russia and Poland, and never really assimilated from what I've heard... spoke primarily Yiddish until the day they died, and lived in Slavic-Jewish enclaves of Brooklyn and Philadelphia. The following generation, my grandparents, were the ones who fully assimilated - as is the case with any non-Native families, regardless of their home country. Regardless, this has nothing to do with the fact that immigrants will struggle with English. Since when is that a new or Hispanic-specific phenomenon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies