Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 09:40 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
yea, that's why i asked. but he's trying way too hard. every time i click on this forum and see some article involving blacks i see him all over it.

i hate being the internet psychologist but he seems to be trying to wash himself different for the sake of the whites on the internet. Oh noes, i'm not like them i swear, i'm some man from ghana who goes to yale and does exotic african rituals at the same time. If he wanted he could find a black forum and vent but he does so here....
Piggybacking on what you said, I see it as the "throwing your own under the bus" theory, where a person tries to criticizes his or her own to gain the approval of the dominant society, not realizing that he or she looks like the people being criticizes, and believing that such criticism will gain instant approval.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:41 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Pretty much. To us America is the easiest place to make it. It is a lot easier to make it here than in my birth country.
I'm a first generation Black American too. My family's thinking was if the system was discriminatory, then that means you have to be better than everyone else to get a fair shot.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'm a first generation Black American too. My family's thinking was if the system was discriminatory, then that means you have to be better than everyone else to get a fair shot.
My parents said the same thing. It also helped they stayed on my behind too when I was in school. My dad also worked and went to school while raising a family

Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I can understand that thinking. My father has told be about that. From what I could guess,some people despair at the fact that they would have to be better than everyone else to get a fair shot, and for that reason, some people give up.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Jim Crow was stopped; what, almost 50 years ago? The younger hood rats can't use "Jim Crow" as why they don't do well in life. Jim Crow was mostly a Southern thing; many Northern Blacks didn't have to deal with it.

Real sad cause 50 years ago Black people even down South fought and bled for education yet many of the younger ones in 2012 wanna put the Black man BACK in the hood cause the hood rats think education is "acting white". It's like the Klan today is Black "putting the Black man in his place." Sheesh!
Three is absolutely NO empirical evidence to back up a damn thing in your post. It's obvious your opinions of Black Americans are formed by being exposed to low income Black Americans with limited educations. That is only one part of Black America. Of course based on your rather limited experiences you refuse to believe otherwise.

If everything that you say about ALL Black Americans is true how could you explain the following?

IV. Booming Black Enrollment Reflects More Than Demographics | Pew Hispanic Center

Quote:
Black college enrollment reached its highest level on record in October 2010. Akin to young Hispanics, record young black college enrollment reflects educational strides as well as population gains. In October 2010, 38% of black 18- to 24-year-olds were enrolled in college. This eclipsed the prior high of 37% recorded in October 2009.

An important factor underlying the black college enrollment increase is that more young blacks are completing high school and thus are eligible to pursue college. In October 2010, 83% of black 18- to 24-year-olds had completed high school. This represents a historical high in young black high school completion.

Here are the U.S Census Bureau stats for Money Income Distribution By Families 1980 to 2008 in (Constant Dollars)

Table 695 Money Income of Families - Percent Distribution By Income Level in Constant (2008) Dollars

In in 1980:

54.9% of non-Hispanic White families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

29.4% of Black families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

32.9% of Hispanic families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

In 2008

62.5% of non-Hispanic White families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

40% of Black families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

40.1% of Hispanic families had incomes of $50,000 a year or more

In summation the number of non-Hispanic White families with incomes of $50,000 or more increased by 13.84% between 1980 and 2008.

The number of Black families with incomes of $50,000 or more increased by 36.05%

The number of Hispanic families with incomes of $50,000 or more increased by 21.58%.

In conclusion the percentage of Black American and Hispanic families with incomes of over $50,000 a has grown significantly in the last 30 years and it's grown at a faster rate than for non-Hispanic White family's. This does not mitigate the fact that the number of poor Black American and Hispanic families is disproportional to their overall population numbers but it certainly refutes any evidence that any one can present that these two demographic groups are not making any progress.

If in fact a larger subset of Black American and Hispanic were "regressing" that would mean that the percentage of lower income Black Americans and Hispanics is INCREASING. That is not factually correct.

In 1980

41% of Black American families made less $25,000 a year

32.9% of Hispanic families made less than $25,000 a year

In 2008

31.5% of Black American families made less $25,000 a year

28.9% of Hispanic families made less than $25,000 a year

The percentage of Black American families making made less than $25,000 a year decreased by 19.7% from 1980 to 2008.

The percentage of Hispanic American families making less than $25,000 a year decreased by 12.15% from 1980 to 2008.

If there are a larger percentage of Black Americans and Hispanic families making over $50,000 from 1980 to 2008 and a lower percentage the same group of familes making less than $25,000 THAN IT'S ILLOGICAL TO SUGGEST THAT THE GROUP IS REGRESSING IN TERMS IF INCREASING ITS INCOME.

Now sit here and explain to how Black people that getting more educated and whose incomes are rising are in any way NOT PROGRESSING compare to where they were 50 years ago much less 30 years years ago?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Piggybacking on what you said, I see it as the "throwing your own under the bus" theory, where a person tries to criticizes his or her own to gain the approval of the dominant society, not realizing that he or she looks like the people being criticizes, and believing that such criticism will gain instant approval.

You don't realize how close you are to the truth:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Usual suspects causing mayhem in broad daylight, downtown. I love the cover-up by 7-eleven and the police. They don't want to do any interviews, don't want to release any surveillance tapes. What are they hiding?

Flash Mob Steals From Baltimore 7-Eleven; Beats Store Manager Who Tries To Stop Them « CBS Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Edward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
My pleasure.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
You don't realize how close you are to the truth:
I was aiming for that. How much more is there?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Still trying to find those high performing, non civil war, non warring, non third world cities in Africa. Where are they,and why don't they exist below the Sahara? Why is there a sky high Aids rate in Africa?

Oh,EdwardA,you do know they list Arabs as Africans too,so any stats would get mixed too.
And Edward,if Africans are so proud of their culture,why do I see many skin bleaching clinincs being advertised in Africa? Why do I see so many wig and weave wearers with perms in their hair among the Ghanians and Nigerians over here?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Still trying to find those high performing, non civil war, non warring, non third world cities in Africa. Where are they,and why don't they exist below the Sahara? Why is there a sky high Aids rate in Africa?

Oh,EdwardA,you do know they list Arabs as Africans too,so any stats would get mixed too.
And Edward,if Africans are so proud of their culture,why do I see many skin bleaching clinincs being advertised in Africa? Why do I see so many wig and weave wearers with perms in their hair among the Ghanians and Nigerians over here?
I haven't met any Africans that bleach their skin. I've met a few that have perms, but then again, so do many Black American women. I have met more Africans who wear their hair naturally.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,664,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
no need for that, don't sink to his level. I'm happy for all african immigrants who succeed in this country and i give them nothing but my appreciation. fighting fire with fire will only tear us apart and will not benefit us at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies