Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 10:00 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
No, your the one that needs to admit you were wrong and move on. Your the one who said "who do you think they are marrying and having children with(meaning African inmigrants) and you implied that it was mostly Americans which is false, by admission of your own data. I stand by what I said the Africans in Houston I know mostly marry their own or they marry white women. It's the same thing with people from the Caribbean. My parents are from Trinidad, and most of the trinidadians i know who immigrate here have very negative things to say about black american women, and usually try to seek out other women from the Caribbean/west indies. The only time they marry black American women is when they are trying to get their papers.
FYI, its you're (as in "you are") not "your".

I used statistics of marriage rates to back up my comment. It seems that you are convinced that anecdotal information holds up against actual facts.

One of my best friends is from Trinidad. She dates American guys (mostly Black) and her two brothers are married to Black American women. I will add that it may be different in communities with a higher population of Caribbeans such as NYC. But I know from personal experience in Los Angeles (that Africans and Caribbeans tend to socialize with middle/upper class Black Americans (especially if they are not in a larger community of other Africans or Caribbeans) I also have several cousins married to African men. But my family is highly educated and solidly middle class.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
FYI, its you're (as in "you are") not "your".

I used statistics of marriage rates to back up my comment. It seems that you are convinced that anecdotal information holds up against actual facts.

One of my best friends is from Trinidad. She dates American guys (mostly Black) and her two brothers are married to Black American women. I will add that it may be different in communities with a higher population of Caribbeans such as NYC. But I know from personal experience in Los Angeles (that Africans and Caribbeans tend to socialize with middle/upper class Black Americans (especially if they are not in a larger community of other Africans or Caribbeans) I also have several cousins married to African men.
I don't dispute this observation. Although in areas like DC among Africans I've noticed more American born Africans marrying other American born Africans or African immigrants. Still quite a few marry African Americans though. Your prior post breaking it down seems accurate.

Ethiopians tend to be a little bit more reticent though to marry African Americans then West Africans although I do know of such unions. Could be religion plays a factor with the reticence.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't dispute this observation. Although in areas like DC among Africans I've noticed more American born Africans marrying other American born Africans or African immigrants. Still quite a few marry African Americans though. Your prior post breaking it down seems accurate.

Ethiopians tend to be a little bit more reticent though to marry African Americans then West Africans although I do know of such unions. Could be religion plays a factor with the reticence.
I would definitely have to agree with this statement and would probably add Somalians to that category, as well.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You are still missing my point. You can't change the color of your skin and that leaves you with one of the choices that I pointed out, which is working to get the other people with your color of skin to stop creating the stereotype. You have, however, elected a third choice, which is to run away from the problem by not patronizing the store where you had the problem. I guess there are too many running from the problem rather than getting their bretheren to stop creating the problems for the rest.

Edit: Had you decided to go back to the bookstore on a regular basis and never caused a problem, they would eventually come to the realization that their suspicions were invalid. You would be able to shop there without being followed. Perhaps the next black man could go in there and shop and not be followed as a result of your efforts. Think about it!
I can only try so hard to get other people to do the right thing. The fact is, there are some people who won't listen, who don't care. I can only control what I do. Me boycotting a place is my way of controlling my own fate. Maybe my money not going to that place could have an effect later on.

As for the edit, if I am going to be treated like a suspect, despite all of my best efforts to not look like one, why should I go back and patronize that store?

Old 05-27-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who the heck are you to be "advising" him on how to live his life?

Mariner: do you think it would have done any good to write a letter of complaint to the store manager?
I had not thought of that. I was so upset and what I felt was reminiscent of the pre-Civil Rights era that all I thought about was "If I am going to be treated like a suspect, then maybe my money should not be spent here".

Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
To many Blacks in America (and their liberal White enablers) education is something that is given to you, rather than something that you seek. This is why we constantly see articles about how schools are failing Black students, when really we should be reading about how Black students are failing to take advantage of their educational opportunities.
Anecdote - back in the 1970s, I witnessed "failure". Three (p.c. term here for blacks) enrolled at the local junior college - with the major of "Mass Communications". Their curriculum (2 year degree) goal was to become disk jockeys (F.C.C. 3rd class radiotelephone license, too).
2 of the 3 dropped out, too. The course work was too hard. (Remedial English, Remedial Math, etc, etc.)
[head smack]

Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Anecdote - back in the 1970s, I witnessed "failure". Three (p.c. term here for blacks) enrolled at the local junior college - with the major of "Mass Communications". Their curriculum (2 year degree) goal was to become disk jockeys (F.C.C. 3rd class radiotelephone license, too).
2 of the 3 dropped out, too. The course work was too hard. (Remedial English, Remedial Math, etc, etc.)
[head smack]
LOL my cousin switched from accounting to mass communications, he too wants to be a DJ. All you can do is shake your head but who knows maybe he'll make it in his chosen profession.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
IWhy do African immigrants out perform American blacks?
Because they are better educated, and because they don't run around screaming "racist" all the time.

All of my line-leaders at Kahn's were from Senegal or Ghana. They were smart, intelligent, educated, could read, write and speak English plus several other languages and they knew how to use computers, and on top of that, they were very conscientious and hard-working.

That totally blows away and destroys any of the stupid arguments Liberals rant about concerning education in the US. More money does not equal a better education, and they are proof that you don't need computers in the classroom -- or air conditioning --- or books --- or carpet ---- or even electricity.

Out-performing...

Mircea

Old 05-27-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Because they are better educated, and because they don't run around screaming "racist" all the time.

All of my line-leaders at Kahn's were from Senegal or Ghana. They were smart, intelligent, educated, could read, write and speak English plus several other languages and they knew how to use computers, and on top of that, they were very conscientious and hard-working.

That totally blows away and destroys any of the stupid arguments Liberals rant about concerning education in the US. More money does not equal a better education, and they are proof that you don't need computers in the classroom -- or air conditioning --- or books --- or carpet ---- or even electricity.

Out-performing...

Mircea
It goes deeper than that. Black Africans are also coming from a different culture, different perspective, difference everything. They are coming from a different perspective because they are immigrants. America, in their eyes, is perceived as a place where anyone can make it. They are coming from Africa, where people are immigrating from their own nations. Nigerians aren't going to have the same perceived feelings that Black Americans have because Nigerians basically have their own nation. They have a sense of knowing who they are, where they come from. You have to question where the culture comes from.

Black Americans have been under a far different social engineering. The perception of America is different. This perception comes from history. I recommend reading a book by Thomas Sowell called "Black Rednecks and White Liberals".

This is a matter of comparing apples to oranges.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It goes deeper than that. Black Africans are also coming from a different culture, different perspective, difference everything. They are coming from a different perspective because they are immigrants. America, in their eyes, is perceived as a place where anyone can make it. They are coming from Africa, where people are immigrating from their own nations. Nigerians aren't going to have the same perceived feelings that Black Americans have because Nigerians basically have their own nation. They have a sense of knowing who they are, where they come from. You have to question where the culture comes from.

Black Americans have been under a far different social engineering. The perception of America is different. This perception comes from history. I recommend reading a book by Thomas Sowell called "Black Rednecks and White Liberals".

This is a matter of comparing apples to oranges.
One thing to note the educational systems of Ghana and Nigeria are modeled after the old pre-liberal British educational systems where tests scores determine which path you go onto. Tests are not watered down because the contents are "discriminatory", standards of behaviors are enforced sometimes with corporal punishment, teachers are respected if not revered, parents would never dream of going to school to fight teachers (this has happened to acquaintances who have participated in Teach for America).

Basically the whoa is me attitude is simply not evident and you are expected to perform whether you come to school with shoes or not. The problem in these countries is that there are few opportunities to go to after completing school. The government in Ghana is somewhat left leaning and starting a business is prohibitive. So many are forced to go overseas. Nigeria is even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies