Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 06:30 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Answer: African immigrants don't come from a culture rooted in and shaped by American slavery. Also the immigrant spirit.
I've been saying that day and night. For some people, this falls on deaf ears.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:35 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Oh really!

Father roasts son for proving stubborn - ModernGhana.com

Quote:
A father in Kumasi has done the unthinkable by allegedly roasting the right foot of his 8-year-old son with a hot iron, causing severe burns to the KG-2 boy who stays with his grandmother at Asafo Dadiesoaba.

The victim, Yussif Adusei, was allegedly injured by his father whose name the young boy only gave as Yussif.

He is said to have ordered the KG-2 boy to sit on the bed after which he placed a hot iron on his foot, injuring him severely.

The boy, who is currently in great pain, was admitted to the Emergency Ward of the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi on Tuesday evening when some journalists of Kessben FM took him there for treatment.

The youngster, who could not walk properly due to the severe injuries he had suffered, said his dad decided to punish him in that weird manner because he claimed he was stubborn.

Father in police grips for attempted incest with daughter - ModernGhana.com

Quote:
Sekondi May 16, GNA — Forty-four-year-old Edward Kenneth Baidoo is in the grip of the Sekondi police for allegedly attempting to commit incest with her 17-year-old daughter.

The Western Regional Crime Officer, Mr. James Kofi Abraham, told the GNA in Sekondi that the victim's mother is in Nigeria therefore lived with her half-sister and the father at Sekondi Baakano.

The Crime Officer said the victim (name withheld) is a 17-year old JHS graduate and slept in the same room with her half sister.

The police said on May 7 when the victim's half-sister had travelled, the father took advantage and entered the victim's room and inserted his fingers into her vagina and attempted to have sexual intercourse with her but she refused.

Convict Urinates In Courtroom - ModernGhana.com

Quote:
Kwasi Tawiah, a 22-year-old man standing trial at a Kumasi Circuit Court for robbing two traders at gun point, caused a stir in the courtroom when he urinated on himself moments before he was sentenced to serve a 48-year jail term.

Tawiah, a chop bar worker, pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to rob and robbery when he appeared before the court, while his accomplice, Charles Koblah, pleaded not guilty.

As the court room became as quiet as a cemetery, and with those converged there waiting patiently for the presiding Judge, Mr Emmanuel Amu Yartey, to pass judgment, a police man who was on guard duties spotted an unusual flow of liquid from where Tawiah was seated.

Close examination of the liquid, its source of flow, colour and thickness proved without doubt that it was urine, and within seconds, the court room was filled with laughter.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:39 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well if Whites are stupid what can we say for African- Americans who perform worse than even the poorest Whites in just about every academic measurement?
Have you checked school test scores in Appalachia recently? Have you looked around this forum recently?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:46 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you checked school test scores in Appalachia recently? Have you looked around this forum recently?
He can't think objectively about this issue. His responses are visceral and emotional. I can't help but think something on a DEEPLY personal level has engendered his hatred of ALL Black Americans.

Notice in his posts he NEVER differentiates between poor uneducated Black Americans and middle or upper class educated Black Americans.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:51 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If you as an individual are behaving in a civilized manner, if you are a responsible citizen, why shouldn't you be judged by all of that? If you are acting like a criminal, why not judge you by your personal acts of stupidity. Why shouldn't an individual be judged by his or her individual merits as oppose to what others see from the group?

I don't think like you. If you are a kid, after a few years, you won't be a kid anymore. I'm Black. I was born Black and I am going to die Black. I can't change that. If I am going to be judged according to a stereotype, then tell me this: What is the point in behaving civilized if you are going to be treated like a criminal anyway? Really, I want you to think about that deeply.

Sometimes you don't have to dress like a suspect to be treated like a suspect. Sometimes skin color is all it takes. I remember one day I was in a bookstore. Bookstores are among my favorite places. I went to a bookstore dressed like I had just come from church. It was a Sunday. I was in a suit. I was also the only Black person in the bookstore amongst mostly White people. Many of the White people were young kids dressed like skateboarders. A few dressed like rappers. I was followed around the store. What was I doing? What everyone else was doing. I was reading a book. I wanted to be left in peace. I kept getting followed around by the cashier. Here is a case where I didn't look anything like a suspect, but I was still treated like one. What did I do about it? I left the bookstore, vowing never to buy anything from it. I imposed my own boycott. I don't appreciate being treated like a criminal, especially when I'm not a criminal, nor do I look like one. I don't take crap from anyone.
You are still missing my point. You can't change the color of your skin and that leaves you with one of the choices that I pointed out, which is working to get the other people with your color of skin to stop creating the stereotype. You have, however, elected a third choice, which is to run away from the problem by not patronizing the store where you had the problem. I guess there are too many running from the problem rather than getting their bretheren to stop creating the problems for the rest.

Edit: Had you decided to go back to the bookstore on a regular basis and never caused a problem, they would eventually come to the realization that their suspicions were invalid. You would be able to shop there without being followed. Perhaps the next black man could go in there and shop and not be followed as a result of your efforts. Think about it!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't think like you. If you are a kid, after a few years, you won't be a kid anymore. I'm Black. I was born Black and I am going to die Black. I can't change that. If I am going to be judged according to a stereotype, then tell me this: What is the point in behaving civilized if you are going to be treated like a criminal anyway? Really, I want you to think about that deeply.
Over thirty years ago I married a woman that had previously been married to a man that cheated on her and left her. She was always suspicious of my actions, even though I never gave her any reason to be suspicious. It would have been easy to say that, as long as I am being accused of the crime I might as well do the crime, but I never did. Thirty years later we are still married and we take good care of each other.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
You just don't see the problem, do you? How can you expect everyone to treat you according to your merits, without demonstrating that you deserve it? You can't expect everyone to disregard the stereotype until that steretype is eliminated. When I was a kid, I was followed around in the candy store that was on my way to school. Obviously, other kids had stolen candy before me.

Today, if I were to dress in a manner that would make me look suspect, I would probably be followed again. I would have two choices. Either stop dressing like the people who steal or get the other people to stop stealing, if I did not want to be followed around. If it is a case of appearance that I cannot do anything about, then I can only choose to try and get the other people to stop stealing. If you could do that overnight, you have to realize that it will still take some time to get people to drop the stereotyping, but eventually they would, if they don't die off first.

You have to start somewhere, and so far wishing it away hasn't had any success.
I don't get it? Please. You AND OP don't seem to get it. My message to the OP was to stop blaming black america for your issues and realize that if all black people started pulling 4.0s in school and were the top wage earners, it still isn't enough. You're OK with being followed around because some knuckleheads across the street decided to steal? Great! Once you sign this consent form i'll send my guys to follow you around just because I feel like it. What If I decided to castrate a white man because I knew a guy who molested some kids?
Why should I have to dress differently? No, ok, I get that, but why, even if I dress in a tailored suite and tie to I get treated like someone wearing trash bags. If you really think it's all in the dress, the walk, the talk, then you need to get your head examined.

You seem to think that you can change the stereotype of everyone out there. Guess what? You can't. There are people who will never, ever like someone just because they are black and they had poor experiences (or not) with other blacks before. It's not black america's fault, it's not obamas fault. There are high performing, moral blacks out there-law abiding doctors, lawyers, educators etc. Why can't these folks be the stereotype of the black community? Why is it gangsters and rappers?
All I see from your post is the express permission for individuals to judge you based on the performance of your peers. I say to hell w/ that nonsense.

Quote:
Edit: Had you decided to go back to the bookstore on a regular basis and never caused a problem, they would eventually come to the realization that their suspicions were invalid. You would be able to shop there without being followed. Perhaps the next black man could go in there and shop and not be followed as a result of your efforts. Think about it!
So you want me to work 3x as hard for 1/2 of the result based on a preconceived notion? That's dumb. Would you be ok if I charged you extra for food based on the fact that people of your ethnic background shoplift the most from my store? Would you be ok if this amount varied month to month based on projected thefts of your people?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
I don't get it? Please. You AND OP don't seem to get it. My message to the OP was to stop blaming black america for your issues and realize that if all black people started pulling 4.0s in school and were the top wage earners, it still isn't enough. You're OK with being followed around because some knuckleheads across the street decided to steal? Great! Once you sign this consent form i'll send my guys to follow you around just because I feel like it. What If I decided to castrate a white man because I knew a guy who molested some kids?
Why should I have to dress differently? No, ok, I get that, but why, even if I dress in a tailored suite and tie to I get treated like someone wearing trash bags. If you really think it's all in the dress, the walk, the talk, then you need to get your head examined.

You seem to think that you can change the stereotype of everyone out there. Guess what? You can't. There are people who will never, ever like someone just because they are black and they had poor experiences (or not) with other blacks before. It's not black america's fault, it's not obamas fault. There are high performing, moral blacks out there-law abiding doctors, lawyers, educators etc. Why can't these folks be the stereotype of the black community? Why is it gangsters and rappers?
All I see from your post is the express permission for individuals to judge you based on the performance of your peers. I say to hell w/ that nonsense.

So you want me to work 3x as hard for 1/2 of the result based on a preconceived notion? That's dumb. Would you be ok if I charged you extra for food based on the fact that people of your ethnic background shoplift the most from my store? Would you be ok if this amount varied month to month based on projected thefts of your people?
I give up. So have you!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:16 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
You are still missing my point. You can't change the color of your skin and that leaves you with one of the choices that I pointed out, which is working to get the other people with your color of skin to stop creating the stereotype. You have, however, elected a third choice, which is to run away from the problem by not patronizing the store where you had the problem. I guess there are too many running from the problem rather than getting their bretheren to stop creating the problems for the rest.

Who the heck are you to be "advising" him on how to live his life?

Mariner: do you think it would have done any good to write a letter of complaint to the store manager?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,160 times
Quote:
I give up. So have you!
wtf kind of response is this? Atleast give some substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies