Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,344,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but presidents have been putting up with much worse then the Muslim Brotherhood for years. If you doubt me simply google "human rights in North Korea" and/or "Kwanliso."
How is a failed communist country not being able to provide for their people the same as new power taking over a country that wants to destroy the US and Israel?
It is true there is little we can do about the election now if it is a fair one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,925,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
If the Muslim Brotherhood win I will hate the country of Egypt and wish the Egyptian people the harshest of pain, suffering, and misery. One thing that outrages me abour the MB is that they force women to have genital mutilation. I hate the way they treat women in general.

For all you "it's none of our business" people would you agree that we should cut off the billions in foreign aid we give Egypt? We have enough problems of our own, why should we give billions to Egypt? Especially if terrorists take over the country.

Also for you "none of our business" folks, are you aware that the Egyptian Christian minority will get killed if the MB take over? Isuppose you don't care since many of you are athiests. As we all know athiests hate Christianity but have a soft spot for Islam.

As for Obama, yes I blame him. He ordered Mubarak to step down. A good U.S president would have joined forces with Mubarak to go to war against all those "Facebook protesters". How ironic that modern technoogy such as social networking will transform Egypt from secular to a 7th Century radical Isalamic state if the MB win.
Obama didn't order Mubarak to step down. To order someone to do anything, a person has to have authority over that someone. Obama wasn't Mubarak's boss. Obama didn't have any authority over Mubarak. Mubarak was the leader of Egypt. Which means the people of Egypt were Mubarak's boss. As the authority over Mubarak, the Egyptian people ordered Mubarak to go. And after holding out as long as he could, he finally did.

I'm not a "none of our business" folk, but I do believe that the Egyptian people deserve a chance at determining their own future. I don't believe that the Egyptian people are going to meekly allow the Muslim Brotherhood to force them to mutilate the genitalia of all the women in the country. Nor do I believe that the Muslim Brotherhood is going to kill all the Christians. I don't know if the Muslim Brotherhood is going to win this election. It's an interesting election. That the top two candidates turned out to be complete opposites, and the moderates didn't garner enough votes to be in contention is a concern, but not really a surprise. Revolutions tend to polarize the people along the political spectrum, and that's what has happened here. But whoever wins this election will have to temper their political agenda if they want to remain in power, because the polarizing effect of a revolution wears off over time.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:30 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,964,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
When should we have gone in?
When France and England declared war on Germany would have been the best time, but I doubt the American People would have approved of it at that time and we were not ready in the terms of military might (another reason to maintain a powerful military).

Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Obama didn't order Mubarak to step down. To order someone to do anything, a person has to have authority over that someone. Obama wasn't Mubarak's boss. Obama didn't have any authority over Mubarak. Mubarak was the leader of Egypt. Which means the people of Egypt were Mubarak's boss. As the authority over Mubarak, the Egyptian people ordered Mubarak to go. And after holding out as long as he could, he finally did.

I'm not a "none of our business" folk, but I do believe that the Egyptian people deserve a chance at determining their own future. I don't believe that the Egyptian people are going to meekly allow the Muslim Brotherhood to force them to mutilate the genitalia of all the women in the country. Nor do I believe that the Muslim Brotherhood is going to kill all the Christians. I don't know if the Muslim Brotherhood is going to win this election. It's an interesting election. That the top two candidates turned out to be complete opposites, and the moderates didn't garner enough votes to be in contention is a concern, but not really a surprise. Revolutions tend to polarize the people along the political spectrum, and that's what has happened here. But whoever wins this election will have to temper their political agenda if they want to remain in power, because the polarizing effect of a revolution wears off over time.
What is sad is that the majority of Eqyptians probably don't want either candidate. The MB has a lot of patience. They will start off moderate and wait for their opportunity to grow their power.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,035,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
When France and England declared war on Germany would have been the best time, but I doubt the American People would have approved of it at that time and we were not ready in the terms of military might (another reason to maintain a powerful military).
Yes but at that time Germany had done nothing to the US and like you say the war machine wasn't ratcheted up. Looking back I agree with you but at the time the people I'm sure would have used the argument I just mentioned. If Japan hadn't attacked us and Hitler would have held off on going after Russia I think they would still control all of Europe.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,925,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
What is sad is that the majority of Eqyptians probably don't want either candidate. The MB has a lot of patience. They will start off moderate and wait for their opportunity to grow their power.
The Egyptian people voted, and will vote again between the two candidates who garnered the highest number of votes in the first election.

The Muslim Brotherhood is an organization. It's not that they have more patience, it's that as an established organization they have more resources than many of the more moderate candidates had available to them. And yet, the Muslim Brotherhood will grow more moderate as time goes on, because they will need to do so to appeal to the majority of Egyptian people. Now that the Egyptian people have democratic elections to direct their government, they will do so. They may not direct their government the way that Americans would like. But that is the rub. Democracies don't reflect American values, they reflect the values of the people within that democracy. The Egyptian people are not American. Their goals and values differ from ours. And their government will differ from ours as well. Americans will simply have to learn that our wants and needs and goals and values aren't shared by the rest of the world. And we cannot dictate to the rest of the world what their goals and values should be.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:46 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,888,793 times
It's amusing that you can say both this:

Quote:
If the Muslim Brotherhood win I will hate the country of Egypt and wish the Egyptian people the harshest of pain, suffering, and misery.
and this:

Quote:
Are you aware that the Egyptian Christian minority will get killed if the MB take over? I suppose you don't care since many of you are athiests. As we all know athiests hate Christianity but have a soft spot for Islam.
...with a straight face and no sense of irony. You will hate the people of Egypt if they don't elect who you want, but are berating atheists for not caring about Egyptian Christians. Was it your Christian upbringing that taught you to hate like that, because I was taught that Christ's message was one of love. It would seem the atheists have nothing on you when it comes to denigrating Christianity.

Quote:
As for Obama, yes I blame him. He ordered Mubarak to step down. A good U.S president would have joined forces with Mubarak to go to war against all those "Facebook protesters".
So in your view, a "good president" would work to uphold the grip of a dictator on his unwilling people and help him to beat them down when they courageously stand up to fight for their freedom? Nice.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,830,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
really sad stuff there dude. You'll hate ppl because they democraticly elected their own choice of leaders????

You'll wish harm to innocent ppl because you hate Muslims???

What I get is you hate religious choice, the democratic process and the working class. Wow, where you from 1950's USSR?

EGYPT is Egypt's internal affairs. I don't believe we should be sending ANY country aid in the form of weapons. Medical and food aid where needed, but that billions in weapons its any of the players in the Middle East should stop now.
I don't hate Muslims, I hate radical Islamists. I hate female genital mutilation. If a people vote for a party that practices this,,,then yes I hate those people.

I appreciate that Mubarak's wife spoke out against female genital mutilation. But the Egyptian people did not listen to her. It's ironic that the same people who claim the GOP is waging a war on women are the same ones who have no problem with the MB taking over Egypt and the barbaric way they treat women.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:00 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,888,793 times
Quote:
It's ironic that the same people who claim the GOP is waging a war on women are the same ones who have no problem with the MB taking over Egypt and the barbaric way they treat women.
What's truly ironic is that the same people who want full control over a woman's reproductive life and her genitalia here in the U.S. don't think any other country's political party should have the same control over their female population. And before you go there, no, I am not in favor of female genital mutilation. Just pointing out the irony in the fact that you are unable or unwilling to see the similarities between radical Islamists and fundamentalist Christians.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,209,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What's truly ironic is that the same people who want full control over a woman's reproductive life and her genitalia here in the U.S. don't think any other country's political party should have the same control over their female population. And before you go there, no, I am not in favor of female genital mutilation. Just pointing out the irony in the fact that you are unable or unwilling to see the similarities between radical Islamists and fundamentalist Christians.
Wishing I could rep THIS ONE ^^^ we'll catch one later. LOL, "probe" you later. The same wingnuts that are up in arms about the TSA frisking passengers see nothing wrong with the government mandating genital probes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies