Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Correct - so you contradict your whole "Jesus had long hair" post - if we don't know what he looked like(and you admit this) then why post a picture of Him with long hair)?

Your credibility just dropped another notch from the low level it already occupied.
LOL! Whoooooosh!

Hey, it's not me who has depicted Jesus as a man with long hair for the past 1700 years or so, it's the churches and their followers.

Kind of embarrassing when Paul said long hair was against nature and shameful for a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Kind of embarrassing when Paul said long hair was against nature and shameful for a man.
Why? Who had long hair? The only men the Bible says had long hair were the Nazarites, such as Samson and John the Baptist. The Bible says nothing about the length of Jesus's hair. What kind of point are you trying to make? That artists of the Middle Ages didn't know what Jesus looked like? Of course they didn't! They even painted Roman soldiers with armor from the Middle Ages. What is your point? Do you even have one?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
You ignore the fact that people who choose to be gay are sinners.
You continue to ignore the fact that people don't 'choose' to be homosexual just as they don't 'choose' to be heterosexual or bisexual.

Quote:
I do acknowledge my own failings - but I do not actively pursue them and try to justify them - I try to do as Paul says and "beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize". It is a struggle - but it is much more rewarding(both now and in the future) then continuing to live in unrepentant sin.
So do you use self-mortification /self-flagellation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortification_of_the_flesh

Have you spoken to a psychiatrist about this?

Last edited by Ceist; 06-01-2012 at 08:16 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Cherry-picking verses from the Bible would be defined as reading verses and citing them out of context - and that doesn't just mean the context of the passage the verse is in - but in the context of the entire Bible - which is an integrated message - from Genesis 1 to Revelation 22 - every word points to Jesus Christ as Lord and savior.
Gosh! Even the parts where your God commanded his people to massacre all the men, women and male children of neighboring tribes but to keep the young virgin girls for themselves? (Apart from the ones that God demanded as 'booty' for himself of course)

Or do you just skip Numbers?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What false witness? If you commit homosexual acts, you have sinned.
If you have had sex with a pagan sacred shrine prositute while worshipping Canaanite fertility gods and goddesses then you have sinned.

I haven't noticed much of this going on in the 21st century have you?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Do you honestly believe that Martin Luther King, a Baptist minister, would approve of same sex marriage? Not the MLK I remember.
His wife, Coretta Scott King certainly thought so. I imagine she would have known him better than you.

Have you seem the movie called "The Help" set in Jackson Mississippi in the 60's?

You kind of remind me of the character "Two Slice Hillie"

Those who have seen it (and I highly recommend it) will get the reference.

Last edited by Ceist; 06-01-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:41 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
You can not have your cake and eat it too. These matters such as gay marriage- have nothing to do with religion what so ever. To have a religious leader dwell on the subject means he was straying from his duties. Sometimes you have to stick to the designated plan. There is no doctrine within Christianity that demands that people participate in politics...In fact it is to be avoided- This reverend crossed the line from church into state...maybe if he is so state minded he could approach the state to fund this empty church?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Coretta Scott King is not Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. She may have her own opinions - quite different than those held by Dr. King - did you ever consider that?
And you are not Dr. Martin Luther King Jr either.

A Collection of Coretta Scott King Quotes regarding GLBT Rights

Source: Reuters, March 31, 1998.
Coretta Scott King, speaking four days before the 30th anniversary of her husband's assassination, said Tuesday the civil rights leader's memory demanded a strong stand for gay and lesbian rights.

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice," she said. "But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.'" "I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people," she said.

Source: Chicago Defender, April 1, 1998, front page.
Speaking before nearly 600 people at the Palmer House Hilton Hotel,
Coretta Scott King, the wife of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Tuesday called on the civil rights community to join in the struggle against homophobia and anti-gay bias. "Homophobia is like racism and anti-Semitism and other forms of bigotry in that it seeks to dehumanize a large group of people, to deny their humanity, their dignity and personhood," King stated. "This sets the stage for further repression and violence that spread all too easily to victimize the next minority group."

Source: Chicago Sun Times, April 1, 1998, p.18.
"We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny . . . I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be," she said, quoting her husband. "I've always felt that homophobic attitudes and policies were unjust and unworthy of a free society and must be opposed by all Americans who believe in democracy," King told 600 people at the Palmer House Hilton, days before the 30th anniversary of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination on April 4, 1968. She said the civil rights movement "thrives on unity and inclusion, not division and exclusion." Her husband's struggle parallels that of the gay rights movement, she said.

Source: Chicago Tribune, April 1, 1998, sec.2, p.4.
"For many years now, I have been an outspoken supporter of civil and human rights for gay and lesbian people," King said at the 25th Anniversary Luncheon for the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund.... "Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement," she said. "Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions." - Chicago Tribune, April 1, 1998, sec.2, p.4.

Source: Coretta Scott King, remarks, Opening Plenary Session, 13th annual Creating Change conference of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Atlanta, Georgia, November 9, 2000.
"We have a lot more work to do in our common struggle against bigotry and discrimination. I say 'common struggle' because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination."

Source: Reuters, June 8, 2001.
"We have to launch a national campaign against homophobia in the black community," said Coretta Scott King, widow of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., the slain civil rights leader.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You can not have your cake and eat it too. These matters such as gay marriage- have nothing to do with religion what so ever. To have a religious leader dwell on the subject means he was straying from his duties. Sometimes you have to stick to the designated plan. There is no doctrine within Christianity that demands that people participate in politics...In fact it is to be avoided- This reverend crossed the line from church into state...maybe if he is so state minded he could approach the state to fund this empty church?
I haven't seen you saying the same thing about all those other preachers who are preaching that gays should be rounded up and imprisoned, or killed. Why is that?

Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I don't know of whom you are specifically referring to - as this is the first I have heard of that - but if it is happenning - those preachers are horribly misguided, to say the least.

The better question is why would you draw a generalization of all Christians from the isolated actions of a few people?
I'd like to address this. For myself, I don't tend to "draw generalizations of all Christians' by the actions of a few RWNJ fundamentalists like you and Bideshi and a handful of others on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies