Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

I have always felt that way but now I learn that many black ministers who attended the recent get together of the Congressional Black Caucus and the Conference of National Black Churches feel much the same way. Yes, of course, there was probably some editing done but this video shows a high number of black pastors who just don't agree with the attempt to liken the two movements.

Black church leaders: Gay marriage ‘not a civil rights issue’ [VIDEO] | The Daily Caller
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

639 posts, read 828,666 times
"Civil rights for me, but not for thee"

Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 AM

180 posts, read 475,420 times
Hmmmmm....Black people back in the slave days wanted rights even though they wasn't given any.
Nowadays gays want the same thing too even though we aren't given any. Whats the difference dude.

In my opinion black people should be the most compassionate towards gays out of every race because, as a black person we know how it feels to be mistreated and hated. I am so embarrased by my people because of how ignorant we can be as a race. All black people wanted was to be respected by white people and have rights. They didn't have to like them or anything. Just repect them and give them rights.

The same with gays, you don't have to like us but just respect us and treat us equally.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,047,421 times
It may not be the same exact thing, but the sentiment is the same: Equal treatment.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
Hmmmmm....Black people back in the slave days wanted rights even though they wasn't given any.
Nowadays gays want the same thing too even though we aren't given any. Whats the difference dude.

In my opinion black people should be the most compassionate towards gays out of every race because, as a black person we know how it feels to be mistreated and hated. I am so embarrased by my people because of how ignorant we can be as a race. All black people wanted was to be respected by white people and have rights. They didn't have to like them or anything. Just repect them and give them rights.

The same with gays, you don't have to like us but just respect us and treat us equally.
Um..Black people can't hide their Blackness.
To know if someone is gay or not wouldn't they need to tell you ?

How do you equate the two being similar ?

Black guy and a White guy come in for a job. You can SEE that one is Black but how do you know the White guy is gay ?

I don't see that civil rights for gays is the same as civil rights for Blacks.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,690,233 times
Being a color and being an orientation aren't really the same thing. They may have similarities but they will never be the same.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 AM

^^^^^^I'm gay. soooooo therefore it's not hidden. duh. I can't tell if someone is athiest, however I'm not going to hate them and forbid them of their rights. Come on dude, catch up. If someone wants to be athiest thats them and their life. Not mine

Old 05-31-2012, 10:51 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,943 times
They just make themselves sound so stupid! I will agree there are some very inherent differences between the two movements, but they make it sound like those differences make it totally unworthwhile.

Firstly, stop quoting the bible. I don't know how this can be considered worth showing considering all they did was ask black christian pastors who are obviously going to say it's a sin. It's as if this crowd is completely unable to take the church part out of it when it applies to how the state and rights should function. Some of them are old enough to remember, yet they seem to forget that whites used the same book to try and justify them not having equal rights or intermixing...though I'm willing to bet on the latter part this crowd might agree on that to an extent. Another thing is the whole fact that most of them are hypocrites of their own book. We all lie...a disproportionate number of them statistically also have probably commited adultury and I KNOW they've fornicated. Do they also realize the statics of their race being higher on those and having children out of wedlock and all the 'DL brothers' they have which are in the community, stores, congregation, etc. There's so little addressing of this, yet they have the nerve to call anyone sinners...how dare, and shame upon you! Why don't you do as the book says and try and find someone without sin to cast the first stone?

Let's also touch bases with where the bible comes from. No, it's not God, that was done and has been retranslated, rewritten, redubbed, etc by man to fit his image of the age. You have so many versions and so many people who ripped out whole sections and added new pieces how can you say exactly what was intended? Have they forgotten there was religion for thousands of years before christianity? Have they forgotten that Christ spoke to treat everyone equally and do not judge? Have they forgotten the autrocities and murders of 'christians' for hundreds of years in the crusades and just in general to purge the 'hethans' who were here a lot longer than they were? Do they even know where their word 'Amen' comes from? Do they know all the similarities between christianity and other religions?

And then there's the ignorance of that one pastor who got angry about the topic because of someone being murdered for her skincolor. Like no gay, bisexual, or transgender person has been killed for who they were...like none of them have been discriminated against, had discrimination written into law, been hated upon, or committed suicide.

The ignorance in this community is truely appalling. Any christian arguments have long lost any validity with me, and this particular group has been losing what little respect it had in the first place for a while, but now I have totally no respect for you. You are hypocrites to the core and don't deserve the 'paradise' you believe you and the 'believers' are destined to go to. Learn some truth!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Being a color and being an orientation aren't really the same thing. They may have similarities but they will never be the same.
They never will, but being black and being white isn't the same either. Two very opposite colors. They have similarities, but will never be the same color.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:56 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,665,751 times
civil rights = equal rights
All men/woman have the same rights..
A gay man can marry a woman, can't marry a man
a straight man can marry a woman, can't marry a man.
same right = equal rights.

Gay men/women are NOT denied any rights that straight men/women have..

I personally do NOT oppose same sex marriage, I simply oppose the comparison to equal rights.. apples do not equal oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies