Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I don't care if the Treaties of Toothpaste and Toilet paper don't.

ANY OFFICIAL Treaties doing so remains a huge deal.
I see, so the Treaty of Tripoli, signed after the creation of the Constitution (not before, like the Treaty of France), ratified by congress, and signed into law which explicitly states that The United States is in no way founded on the Christian Religion, supported by the fact that many of our founding fathers were not typical Christians, rejected religious institutions, and perhaps most important of all, is that our government and its founding document deliberately go to lengths to avoid unnecessary entanglement between the religious institutions of these states, and itself.

In fact, the government is so clearly secular, that atrocities like "in god we trust" be emblazoned on our coins and currency was only possible after tremendous wars, when people are at their most vulnerable. In fact, the fascist Christian wing has taken over (although briefly) only after great tragedies such as World War II (with McCarthyism), during Reconstruction after the Civil War, and now, after September 11th.

Quote:
It proves those that desperately LIE again and again, saying our nation was not founded on christian principles AND the bible.....
When it so clearly was not.

Quote:
are totally wrong and ignorant, or....terrible, evil liars trying to rewrite history.
The only revisionist here is you.

Treaty of Tripoli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Treaty of Paris (1783) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
History of the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The U.S. NOT founded upon Christianity
Our Founding Fathers Were NOT Christians

You're too stuffed up in your own self-righteous christian lunacy to understand the most simple of concepts that secularism protects your insane belief system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 12:28 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
I clearly stated my point AND made it, quite well I should add.
So let me try to re-state it then: you are saying that the Founders intended the United States to be a Christian nation.

What I am asking you is: even if that's true, why is that significant?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I don't think Godwin's law applies when the actual thread concerns which rights can be taken away from someone based on their religious beliefs or lack thereof. This is more a case of the OP and other posters hoping to recreate their own "Nuremberg style" laws in the current day United States.
"Nuremberg style" laws?

Where is anyone following orders in the circumstance that you are addressing?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:50 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Equality of opportunity. It's a test of religion when it excludes anyone that isn't a monotheist.
Shoot - I am rather a strong proponent of certain Tlingit religious beliefs which combine Orthodox Christianity with animism.

Where does any of these state requirements require someone to believe in monotheism - and where have I ever said that they should do so?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:08 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Shoot - I am rather a strong proponent of certain Tlingit religious beliefs which combine Orthodox Christianity with animism.

Where does any of these state requirements require someone to believe in monotheism - and where have I ever said that they should do so?
You stated belief in a "supreme being" was required to hold office--that is singular noun.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:35 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
There is no comparison between ice cream and God - except that both could be described as "heavenly".
You're right: ice cream exists.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
And the requirement that I have seen do not amount to religious tests -as I have explained many times in this thread
No, you have asserted it without any basis or logic for your mindless assertions.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
No - and there is no such thing as a Christian God - Christians worship the one and only God.
Love it! In one line, the complete and total arrogance of a Christian. In ONE line...

Old 06-02-2012, 07:30 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Love it! In one line, the complete and total arrogance of a Christian. In ONE line...
And, in one line, you matched that arrogance. Congrats!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:43 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post
True. But it's useful to have a peek at the Christian heritage we've been furiously trying to erase.
I don't suppose that you realize that it is the "Christian heritage" that placed these restrictive laws on the books, do you?

Some groups just cannot stand anyone having thoughts different than their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies