Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM

197 posts, read 300,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post
Banned from holding public office, that is.

I know it's considered "extreme" to say this, but our recent little experiment in godless government isn't working out too well. (Funny how so much of mainstream western civilization is now viewed as "extreme".)

Government either places itself under God or it becomes an arbitrary despotism subject only to power and money. Welcome to America 2012.

Requiring office holders to publicly profess not only belief in God, but also the faith of the Nicene Creed, would do this country good.

In other words you want a Theocracy in place. Not a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,933,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Ask this in the religion forum - it is off topic - and read the Bible - why you expect me to do your work for you is a mystery. You would have loved it when their was no printing press and the catholic church controlled what the people heard concerning the Scriptures.
What a joke. You can't even explain the most mild of biblical inconsistencies can you?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:25 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,122,843 times
Quote:
Requiring office holders to publicly profess not only belief in God, but also the faith of the Nicene Creed, would do this country good.
Our Founding Fathers and Mothers came here largely to get away from people like you.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,089,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
What a joke. You can't even explain the most mild of biblical inconsistencies can you?
There is no inconsistency.

I have a life outside of this forum - which happens to be POLITICS not religion - and you have two eyes, two legs, and a brain. Why should I explain this to you when you cna read it yourself - especially when I expect that I would be wasting my time if I did(I'm a little skeptical about your intentions to really learn anything)? I refuse to go through a rehash of a topic which Jesus and Paul covered extensively - and which you can read if you bothered to do so. If you won't read the Bible - you can go to the religion forum or ask a pastor.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
There is no inconsistency.

I have a life outside of this forum - which happens to be POLITICS not religion - and you have two eyes, two legs, and a brain. Why should I explain this to you when you cna read it yourself - especially when I expect that I would be wasting my time if I did(I'm a little skeptical about your intentions to really learn anything)? I refuse to go through a rehash of a topic which Jesus and Paul covered extensively - and which you can read if you bothered to do so. If you won't read the Bible - you can go to the religion forum or ask a pastor.
In other words, you can't explain it. It is OK to just admit it.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 PM

197 posts, read 300,265 times
Quote:
That is a problem, but not as much as you think.

"Religious test" was not understood by the founding fathers as pertaining to belief in God, which almost everyone had, but as pertaining to adherence to organized churches or religious bodies. The backdrop of Article VI, Par 3 is that the government could not require office holders to belong to a specific church or a specific Christian creed.

Having said that, it's still a flaw in the Constitution. Yes, I said "flaw". Sorry, the Constitution is a human document, not holy writ. You can't have a government without a religious creed. We don't have one today: our creed is Secularism, and it's destroying the country.

What a load of tripe. No religious creed whatsoever is necessary to government , and there's a little thing called ***religious freedom*** , do you somehow translate that as " freedom to inflict your religion on others"?

Is that how your interpret the " Great commision "? Or is this just another divisive paradigm espoused by yet another Fundy so ya can cry about how persecuted you are and tell us all we're gonna burn in Hell.

And " destroying our country "......pppuuulllllleeeeeeeaaaasssseee , ya mean like how " moral an ethical" preachers have eroded and virtually destroyed Christianity for personal and denominational gain? Want examples , be sure you do 'cause it could take a week or three to post 'em all.

And NOW *you* want religion under the mandate of the State , one of the things our forefathers came here to avoid.

How richly ironic that little demonstration of hypocrisy is , and how utterly opposed to the basic precepts contained within the text know as the Bible.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 PM

147 posts, read 145,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
In other words, you can't explain it. It is OK to just admit it.
In other words, you're not interested in doing anything but derailing the topic and scoring cheap "gotchas".

Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,013,153 times
Quote:
Atheists banned in 7 states
That's a good start.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Sco

Quote:
In other words, you're not interested in doing anything but derailing the topic and scoring cheap "gotchas".
What exactly is the topic? Your desire to force people to live under the rule of a Christian Taliban?

Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 PM

33,626 posts, read 37,280,232 times
"When the churches literally ruled society, the human drama encompassed: (a) slavery; (b) the cruel subjection of women;(c)the most savage forms of legal punishment; (d) the absurd belief that kings ruled by divine right; (e) the daily imposition of physical abuse; (f) cold heartlessness for the sufferings of the poor; as well as (g) assorted pogroms ('ethnic cleansing' wars) between rival religions, capital punishment for literally hundreds of offenses, and countless other daily imposed moral outrages. . . . It was the free-thinking, challenging work by people of conscience, who almost invariably had to defy the religious and political status quo of their times, that brought us out of such darkness."
Steve Allen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies