Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times

Advertisements

The United States has had a long history of communities that were non-English speaking. There is no requirement to speak English or assimilate. These communities are just as legitimate and American as English speaking communities. They are in noway threatening to supplant English as the dominate language in the U.S.

Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the mid-19th century on, the nation had large numbers of immigrants who spoke little or no English, and throughout the country state laws, constitutions, and legislative proceedings appeared in the languages of politically important immigrant groups. There have been bilingual schools and local newspapers in such languages as German, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Greek, Polish, Swedish, Romanian, Czech, Japanese, Yiddish, Hebrew, Lithuanian, Welsh, Cantonese, Bulgarian, Dutch, Portuguese and others, despite opposing English-only laws that, for example, illegalized church services, telephone conversations, and even conversations in the street or on railway platforms in any language other than English, until the first of these laws was ruled unconstitutional in 1923 (
Meyer v. Nebraska).
Typically, immigrant languages tend to be lost through assimilation within two or three generations, though there are some groups such as the Cajuns (French), Pennsylvania Dutch (German) in a state where large numbers of people were heard to speak it before the 1950s, and the original settlers of the Southwest (Spanish) who have maintained their languages for centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 PM

606 posts, read 355,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Doesn't matter whether you are a Mexican or not you could have still answered the question. The answer is, you know damned well that Mexicans would object to an illegal invasion that would make unnatural changes to their country. Admit that or you are a hypocrite IMO.

Nativists? So to object to an illegal invasion of our country and thereby creating unnatural and unlawful change to our demographics is to be a nativist? Buy a dictionary, a nativist/xehophone has a fear and rejection of strangers. Last I looked we allow in 1 million legal immigrants every year so where is the nativism? Get it through your head that it is illegal immigration be object to and also object to too much legal immigration from one ethnic group that creates colonization rather than assimilation.

So to object to above means we aren't holding up the higher standards that you think we should be? I guess the U.S. is the only country in the world that isn't allowed to enforce their immigration laws?

The English langauge has NOT changed dramatically since our founding. WTH are you talking about and what has that to do with the topic anyways? Are you saying that we should roll over to a non-combatant takeover by illegal aliens and their anchor babies? That is one of the most cowardly wars I have heard of being fought. Fighting a war with babies rather than bullets? My what a legacy they will leave behind. Their warrior ancestors must be rolling in their graves.

Consider yourself ignored from now on. I am sick of anti-American talk that we should just accept a takevoer of our demographics, language and culture by a bunch of cowardly illegal invaders. Bye!
You may have me on ignore, but I'm still going to make my points. You're still confusing the meaning of the word hypocrite, so that still doesn't make sense.

You claimed the English language has never changed. I'm bringing up what you think is an irrelevant point because I'm trying to show you the BIG picture that this has been going on for a damn long time whether you want to admit it or not. This is not isolated issue that is only occurring in our time. You can't look at things through a narrow lens. Look at history. The point of talking about how English has changed was to illustrate that changes will continue occurring whether you them to or not. In the end, no matter what happens, the world is going to be a drastically different place 100, 200, 500 years from now.

It's sad that instead of discoursing on the topic, you choose to ignore someone who disagrees with you. Continue to live in your bubble, but the world will move on without you.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Naps post - for the benefit of chicagonut:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
You may have me on ignore, but I'm still going to make my points. You're still confusing the meaning of the word hypocrite, so that still doesn't make sense.

You claimed the English language has never changed. I'm bringing up what you think is an irrelevant point because I'm trying to show you the BIG picture that this has been going on for a damn long time whether you want to admit it or not. This is not isolated issue that is only occurring in our time. You can't look at things through a narrow lens. Look at history. The point of talking about how English has changed was to illustrate that changes will continue occurring whether you them to or not. In the end, no matter what happens, the world is going to be a drastically different place 100, 200, 500 years from now.

It's sad that instead of discoursing on the topic, you choose to ignore someone who disagrees with you. Continue to live in your bubble, but the world will move on without you.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:36 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The United States has had a long history of communities that were non-English speaking. There is no requirement to speak English or assimilate. These communities are just as legitimate and American as English speaking communities. They are in noway threatening to supplant English as the dominate language in the U.S.

Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the mid-19th century on, the nation had large numbers of immigrants who spoke little or no English, and throughout the country state laws, constitutions, and legislative proceedings appeared in the languages of politically important immigrant groups. There have been bilingual schools and local newspapers in such languages as German, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Greek, Polish, Swedish, Romanian, Czech, Japanese, Yiddish, Hebrew, Lithuanian, Welsh, Cantonese, Bulgarian, Dutch, Portuguese and others, despite opposing English-only laws that, for example, illegalized church services, telephone conversations, and even conversations in the street or on railway platforms in any language other than English, until the first of these laws was ruled unconstitutional in 1923 (Meyer v. Nebraska).
Typically, immigrant languages tend to be lost through assimilation within two or three generations, though there are some groups such as the Cajuns (French), Pennsylvania Dutch (German) in a state where large numbers of people were heard to speak it before the 1950s, and the original settlers of the Southwest (Spanish) who have maintained their languages for centuries.
There are small pockets of other language communities except for Spanish. They are getting larger and larger and directly due to illegal immigration. English is our national language and even though there is no law to assimilate to it, it is disrespectful not to do so. I don't care what language someone chooses to speak at home. If generation after generation still refuses to then perhaps they should move to a country where their native language is the dominant one. You are confusing the "maintaining" of a native language at home with the desirability to assimilate to ours out in mainstream. I don't know how many times this has to be pointed out.

You have your head in the sand if you think that Spanish speakers don't want to supplant English with Spanish or at least make us a bi-ingual country. Enjoy your naiveness. Bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies