Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Maybe you should have read the US constitution instead, if you did you wouldn't have created this troll thread.
Benjamin Franklin was involved with the Constitution as you might know, and he was wise and saw the need for a common language that would unify the people of this country.

I have also read the Constitution --- in English, the language in which it was written, I cannot for the life of me understand why people would live here their entire lives and have zero desire to learn as much as a word of this country's language.

I do not believe encouraging that kind of intellectual laziness is in the best interest of this country. We're a divided enough country without having many languages and dialects dividing us further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Benjamin Franklin was involved with the Constitution as you might know, and he was wise and saw the need for a common language that would unify the people of this country.

I have also read the Constitution --- in English, the language in which it was written, I cannot for the life of me understand why people would live here their entire lives and have zero desire to learn as much as a word of this country's language.

I do not believe encouraging that kind of intellectual laziness is in the best interest of this country. We're a divided enough country without having many languages and dialects dividing us further.
I can't understand how someone can read the constitution and not know what the 1st amendment is about

Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have read the Mexican Constitution in the language it was written -- I find it pathetic that the immigrants and their offspring lack the intellectual curiousity to even read the US Constitution in the language it was written.

I would find it ridiculous if any American said they were going to move to some other country but never learn the language of that country. I agree with you that this is exactly what is taking place, I disagree that it is a great thing.
I wil not be so hard on you in the future - if what you just claimed is true.

Thank you for being frank. Many others are not.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Here we go again. Speak English, this is America.

Look....SPANISH speakers have voting power. Purchasing POWER.

So people will be accommodated....it's all about business.

Don't like it? Don't watch the debate on Univision. Very simple.

And let people practice their first amendment rights.

This is THE ONLY country on earth where people have a problem with other languages being spoken. Such arrogance.
But why should the debates be in Spanish when even to become a naturalized citizen of this country one has to know English sans a minority of elderly? This has nothing to do with first Amendment rights. No, this isn't the only country on earth that desires their national language to be respected. France comes to mind and so do many other countries. The arrogance is on the part of non-assimilating immigrants and citizens who refuse to speak our langauge unless they have to and expect to be catered to in their native language.

The arrogance is on the part of immigrants or non-assimilating citizens

Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Ok. Stop stereotyping Hispanics in this country, whom the majority are American citizens and or legal residents, and are bi-lingual.
If they are bi-lingual then why do they need to have debates or anything else in Spanish?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
If French speaking people where the largest minority in this country....guess what????? That debate would be in French.

Why is that so hard for people to understand. Geesh.
Why? Wouldn't those of French roots who became American citizens know English? What part of that don't YOU understand?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
If you aren't living in Texas, you really don't have anything to complain about.

If you knew anything about Texas, you would understand why this is happening.

And if you weren't racist and/or xenophobic, you wouldn't even care in the first place.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
We don't need an Official Language.

We all know English is the language use to run our government and business.

We are the United States of America, and is foolish to COMPARE us to other countries.

Simple as that.
Yes, we do need to make English our official language. It is our national language like it or not. If we made it official we wouldn't have to be printiing all kinds of government documents in several different languages which is an added expense. It would erase all doubt as to our language is and it should take its rightful place as an identifier of our culture and heritage.

It is foolish also on your part to imply that the U.S. has no right to an official language as many other countries do!

Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
What's the problem?

1.) The US has no official language - even though it has a dominant and traditional one.

2.) Political offices are a high stakes issue - candidates want to win.

3.) In some states, a large contingency of voters are hispanic - and many speak Spanish.

4.) In order to win, a candidate MUST garner the highest number of votes.

5.) Catering to Spanish-speaking voters is a way to get your message across while simultaneously drawing the "hispanic" vote.

6.) This principle is no different than a private enterprise catering to a certain segment of the population in order to get their business.

Do I like it? No. Do I understand why candidates might want it? Yes. Is it legal? Yes.
You're forgetting one thing about your number 3. Yes, many speak Spanish but they also speak English! You have to know English to become a citizen and only citizens can vote. What part of that are you not getting?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Good you feel that. There are TONS of Republicans who don't view people like Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio the same way.

You know, those "Conservatives" that want to amend the constitution to ban birthright citizenship. Which we all know is aimed at Hispanic kids, who then grow up to speak Spanish!

This country sometimes doesn't LEARN from it's past!
What nonsense! Are Hispanics the only ones here illegally? Birthright citizenship would be denied to ALL illegals here giving birth on our soil if reinterpreted as it was meant. Stop with the race card! There is no reason on this God's earth that babies born from illegal alien parents should be granted our citizenship. The 14th has not been intepreted correctly and needs to be take up with the Supreme Court. Most countries do not allot birthright citizenship to babies born from illegal alien parents. That just makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies