Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:07 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You know Roy it wouldn't matter to these America hating Obamabots.
I think it would be very fun to have all of those who consider FDR to be the best president, up to Obama, to admit that they failed to hear that prayer that FDR put put. I would like to think that Obama could at least make up a prayer like that one that lasted at least 15 seconds. I don't think he could, though, since he said we were no longer a Christian nation on one of his apology tours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There was quite a big to-do on the 50th anniversary, as well. Incredibly moving. (That damn Lancaster dropping poppies gets me every single time.)

Of course, for us Yurpeans, VE day is perhaps more poignant. Battles are a sad necessity at times, but the coming of peace in liberty is what they're fought for.
Do they still have some of those Lancaster in airworthy state? I bet many here thought you were talking about Burt Lancaster.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I've been alive since 1949, pretty well aware of politics since about 1959, and I do not remember D-day being "celebrated" once until the 60th anniversary. I don't even remember my parents, both WW II vets, talking about it. They did, however, like to say "Remember Pearl Harbor" on Dec. 7.
You don't remember the performance by Reagan on the 40th anniversary?

Ah well most of us from that time will be dead soon and then everybody will be able to forget things like that one. However, the movies about the period will still be around. Did you not see "The Longest Day" that was about that very day?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:30 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i know the difference between the men but that still doesn't answer my question:

what about and/or in the tweet was disrespectful to the military?
It isn't the fact that he tweeted. What is being questioned is why he didn't attend any ceremonies in person, he didn't give an address, he didn't do anything in person to honor the soldiers that died on this historic day.

He found time to attend 2 fund raisers in San Francisco but, couldn't find time to pay homage.

You need to read this article to get the full picture. And it is from CBS Baltimore. two of the most leftist media outlets in the country.

Obama

Old 06-07-2012, 05:31 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
One would wonder if he gave any speeches today where he could have taken care of it in one or more of them. Of course, he may have been close to SanFrancisco where he talks to the lefties about all those bible, gun toting hillbillies in Pennsylvania. Those people wouldn't have wanted to hear anything but some reference to gay marriage.
"One would wonder if he gave any speeches today where he could have taken care of it in one or more of them.'

No he didn't.

read this: Obama

Old 06-07-2012, 05:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It isn't the fact that he tweeted. What is being questioned is why he didn't attend any ceremonies in person, he didn't give an address, he didn't do anything in person to honor the soldiers that died on this historic day.

He found time to attend 2 fund raisers in San Francisco but, couldn't find time to pay homage.

You need to read this article to get the full picture. And it is from CBS Baltimore. two of the most leftist media outlets in the country.

Obama
So what did all of his predecessors since Truman find to do on D-Day, other than make a speech? Please enlighten us.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
There is no precedence for US presidents commemorating D-day every year. On "round" anniversaries, certainly. But not every year.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM

26,577 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So what did all of his predecessors since Truman find to do on D-Day, other than make a speech?.
it doesn't even look like most presidents even did that.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:

Obama
You're citing an opinion piece with the GOP logo right in the headline. Leftist? Seriously?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
you've yet to answer exactly what you found so offensive about the tweet.

so.......???
Why should I answer a question, when the answer is so obvious. Many posters immediately grasped the significance of the event.

The question is why didn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies