Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:15 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I'm not familiar enough with some of the posters, and I didn't read the entirety of the posts.

The thread about gay people, it may be stereotyping, but didn't seem to be antagonistic towards gays. And he seemed to be supportive of lesbianism. So I don't believe it is a conservative post. Probably either a neither or leaning democrat IMO.

And yes, I understand that there is a small political lean in this forum, but it is of no where the 10 to 1 that you mentioned, and it is no where near the degree it is in other forums. Most forums are just like a big fan club for one ideology or another.

To me, I would find those forums boring, because there is no challenge. It seems to just be a place for people to go complain about the "other guys".
You don't find it interesting that people who are agreeing with you on this thread are hardcore right wingers versus people who are disagreeing with you, who tend to be center or liberal??

Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
When your positions make even Florida Bob look like a hardcore rightie, it's understandable that you would feel the way you do. As you said, though, SF, "feelings are not facts," and on what you said above, you are way off the mark.

I'd rather make Bob look like a rightie than make Hitler look like Mother Theresa.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:33 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Um I don't think any forum, left or right, can handle different points of view. That is why they label them as such.

City-Data P&OC is special because most of the people that came here trickled in from the Location forums I suppose, from boredom of perusing the rest of the forum. This place is a dumping ground to bash your ideologies against others ideologies and learn nothing of value from. Except that you think the other side is consisted of idiots. This was created on purpose; a place where highly charged subjects can get "discuss" in an "open" forum. Others just come for the mayhem and foolishness of it.

The truth is that this forum is pretty much cut down the middle politically. It is just that conservatives tend to be the squeakiest wheel on this particular forum. A lot of stuff to get off their chest I suppose.
If you've not learned anything substantive from this forum, then that's your fault. I think most of us have come away far more enlightened on the political events happening in America than the average citizen.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:35 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm outnumbered by conservatives on here by 10 to 1, easily, probably more than that.

Feelings are not facts. The forum leads hard right. Fox news has more balance and broader political leanings.

Absolutely the most ridiculous thing ever said on this bastion of left wing lunacy and that's a mighty dubious honor.

Just a review of the thread titles would show the truth ... at least a 70% + liberal, and somewhere between a third or greater of the board appears to be homosexuals ... so this 10 to 1 conservative dominance suggestion is simply ludicrous.

According to the most recent gallup poll, the national figures show 40% - 35% - 21% make up of conservative, moderate, and liberal respectively, but those figures are extremely skewed, as severe confusion exists regarding the definitions of what people consider conservative - moderate - liberal views.

The reality is, even among the 40% conservative crowd, half of them are actually liberals who don't even know the difference. I would strongly contend that the actual figures are closer to 20% conservative, 10% moderate and 70% liberal ... and that's a conservative estimate

The board appears to be over represented by the left, compared to the national averages.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:37 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
I came o here as EC because my location is full of hardcore Obama haters. I have worked under.....folks who would wear red ties and red dresses after election night and proclaim that all their candidates won. Then these same people would pass me over for someone who looked like them who I had out performed and then they would tell me things like "it was education". When I would point out that it was indeed I who had the higher education the look on their faces would tell it all. Local radio and limbaugh just spews lies and you cant fight them because of the bully pulpit they have. At least here you can sometimes get your point heard.

I can tell you that this is the site for me. During my many learning vacations away from CD I tried different sites and none of them impressed me. I do feel it leans right but that is probably just my view point. Only the mods know which is which. I have been treated fairly by the Mods for the most part. We all sometimes think the people in charge are against us but we don't know the big picture.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:57 AM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Actually, from my experience here liberals are in fact the ones posting these threads. Not conservatives. They post them to make draw in conservatives because they want to argue. Conservatives may create a thread like that maybe once in a blue moon to ask a specific question towards liberals to get answers. But most of the gay threads and all the other "liberal" issues are made by liberals.
You are 100% correct ... the shear volume of race and gender baiting threads show that truth.

But the best test is not to take someone's word for what views they represent ... because too many will falsely label themselves, probably because so many have distorted definitions.

Better to take a clearly defined topic, and measure the response ....

Try conducting a poll like "Evolution or intelligent design"? And watch what happens ... I''ll bet you now you get a 10 to 1 or better majority embracing evolution, and you won't even make it past the first page without a few charged mob like insults and attacks.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Back to the OP,

In comparison with other forums that seem to focus on weeding out dissent, C-D's political forum does tend to encourage argument and debate, and for those of us who like to argue and debate, it's a good learning experience. There are a lot of smart posters on this forum, and it is full of good solid information as well as some misinformation.

One of the things I find most interesting is how revealing posters can be about themselves. While protecting their anonymity, they share some startling and intimate information about their backgrounds and thought processes.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:02 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
I thank city-data as well, but for this forum I would never have known the true meaning
of RWNJ which is illustrated so well here.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If you've not learned anything substantive from this forum, then that's your fault. I think most of us have come away far more enlightened on the political events happening in America than the average citizen.
First it depends on what you consider valuable.

Second it depends on if you learned something or bashed your head against something just to confirm your own beliefs.

Third it depends on if you are open to being corrected for believing in slanted information.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I had been reading other forums lately. One of which was Democratic underground. And man, most other forums are full of people who think exactly alike, and they are offended when someone actually disagrees with them.

I personally don't even see the point in a forum like that.

I think when you surround yourself with the equivalent of yes-men, you become sort of separated from reality. As there is no one there to point out the flaws in your thought processes.

The truth is, even though I post on these forums as if I am absolutely certain of everything, I have learned a LOT from being on these forums. Anytime someone tells me something I don't know(usually to counter my argument), I have to take hours or sometimes even days to learn about it. This forum has been sort of my ultimate political inspiration, and has helped to guide me on my quest for knowledge.

And I don't think that could have ever been the case, had this been a forum of people on the same side of the political spectrum.
My sentiments, exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies