Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I disagree. I think the most is learned when you have combat. Because competition is a great motivator.

Mostly here, people will give me statistics I had never read. Some scientific studies I had never heard about. Some stories and articles that are relatively obscure. Or history lessons about specific events, especially court cases.

And these things never would have been brought to my attention, had I not been debating with people who disagreed with me. Because those pieces of information tend to support their case and not my own. And therefore, if I had been only talking to people who share my own views. Even if they knew that information, they never would have presented it to me.

When I sit in other forums and read these peoples posts, from Democratic Underground, to stormfront, and others. I can't help but feel that the vast majority of these people are completely delusional, and it should be obvious to anyone with a brain. But not only does no one tell or show these people that they are clearly wrong. But the forums tend to frown on people who speak against the political leanings of that forum.
I think it's because City-Data only has data, no news/opinion stories. I think you get like minded people posting in pay forums. It's boring but let's face it, you aren't going to shell out money to join just to present an opposing opinion.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
I probably am very selective in the posts I read. But let me quickly take a snapshot of the forums as they are.

The top 20 posts right now are...

1)Obesity in America; What is the solution? Neither
2) I thought Obama was going to be different. Look at minority unemployment. Republican
3)ISP and cable Monopolies. Probably democrat.
4)Washington Post - The Republicans are the problem! Democrat
5)Okay, I've got question about our favorite topic of gay people. Democrat
6)Democrats say requiring ID to vote is racist, then they require ID to vote. Republican
7)Exxon makes 104 million a day while gas prices go up. Probably Democrat
8)Photo ID required at Michele Obama's Book signing. Probably Republican
9)Grandmother questions school awards based on race. Probably Republican
10)The GOP says no equal pay for women. Democrat
11)Watch this video if you don't believe the koch brothers run the tea party. Democrat
12)Why do liberals hate america? Republican
13)Obama's "green jobs" a complete failure. Republican
14)"Family values" religious nutjob speaks the word of jesus by vowing to never stop hating LGBT people. Democrat
15)Alabama adopts first official state ban on UN agenda 21. Republican
16)Give your DNA! Probably Republican
17)Trayvon Martin Case updates. Neither
18)Cruel treatment of homosexuals by liberals. Republican
19) Unemployment for blacks - up from 13.0 to 13.6 percent. Republican
20)Woman(union democrat) slaps barrett!!! Whoa! Republican

Of the 20, you have two neithers, 11 Republican, 7 Democrat. Which isn't bad really.

I don't think you've read the threads. The first one is clearly written by a conservative, if you have any doubt look at his posting history. I don't see how the ISP one is Democratic, the thread really belongs in the computers or technology forum, and the 5th thread has stereotypes about gays, so not sure how that is Democratic.

So that leaves us with 12 Republican and 5 Democratic, a 2 to 1 margin. On some days almost every thread is bashing either minorities, gays, immigrants, unions, liberals, democrats, or Obama.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Sad that it only took one page for the partisan bickering to begin, so to get it back on topic, I actually agree with the OP! I find sites "of one mind" rather boring, and have also learned a LOT from this forum... my core principles haven't changed, but I learn new things about politics, laws & history almost every time I sign on here. Maybe some people think they already know everything, but the honest among us can admit there's always more one can learn - no matter your age or educational level.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I don't think you've read the threads. The first one is clearly written by a conservative, if you have any doubt look at his posting history. I don't see how the ISP one is Democratic, the thread really belongs in the computers or technology forum, and the 5th thread has stereotypes about gays, so not sure how that is Democratic.

So that leaves us with 12 Republican and 5 Democratic, a 2 to 1 margin. On some days almost every thread is bashing either minorities, gays, immigrants, unions, liberals, democrats, or Obama.

I'm not familiar enough with some of the posters, and I didn't read the entirety of the posts.

The thread about gay people, it may be stereotyping, but didn't seem to be antagonistic towards gays. And he seemed to be supportive of lesbianism. So I don't believe it is a conservative post. Probably either a neither or leaning democrat IMO.

And yes, I understand that there is a small political lean in this forum, but it is of no where the 10 to 1 that you mentioned, and it is no where near the degree it is in other forums. Most forums are just like a big fan club for one ideology or another.

To me, I would find those forums boring, because there is no challenge. It seems to just be a place for people to go complain about the "other guys".

Old 06-07-2012, 04:17 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The liberals are more outspoken? It's not the liberals who start all the anti-Black, anti-gay, anti-Obama, anti-Dem, pro-photo-ID for voting, anti-liberal, anti-Hispanic, etc. threads. You must be very selective in which posts you read.
Actually, from my experience here liberals are in fact the ones posting these threads. Not conservatives. They post them to make draw in conservatives because they want to argue. Conservatives may create a thread like that maybe once in a blue moon to ask a specific question towards liberals to get answers. But most of the gay threads and all the other "liberal" issues are made by liberals.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:47 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,947 times
Quote:
I'm outnumbered by conservatives on here by 10 to 1, easily, probably more than that.

Feelings are not facts. The forum leads hard right. Fox news has more balance and broader political leanings.
That is why I don't post much; it is like banging your head against a wall repeatedly. Not worth the time or aggravation.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:02 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Quote:
The truth is, even though I post on these forums as if I am absolutely certain of everything, I have learned a LOT from being on these forums. Anytime someone tells me something I don't know(usually to counter my argument), I have to take hours or sometimes even days to learn about it. This forum has been sort of my ultimate political inspiration, and has helped to guide me on my quest for knowledge.

And I don't think that could have ever been the case, had this been a forum of people on the same side of the political spectrum.
I know what you mean. Without ideological challenges minds can stagnate so it's good to have opinions opposed. One of the best ways to get an idea straight in your own mind is to try to inform or convince someone else.

I'm happy to admit i've learned things on here (not always for the better certainly) about peoples views and bias that i may not have previously considered. Some of the things i've been certain of i've needed to think about and i've not always reached the same conclusions that i did previously.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:05 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
That is why I don't post much; it is like banging your head against a wall repeatedly. Not worth the time or aggravation.
It sounds like your only goal is to convert "righties" to your line of thought; when that doesn't happen, they are completely tuned out.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I read these posts to be informed of the Konservative way of the world. I am studying my political and social enemies. Sun Tzu advised one to study your enemy so you know his mind. Then you can defeat him without regret.

Preventing and removing when necessary a tyranny of wealth is my political goal. Creating a nation with actual "Liberty and Justice for All" instead of our current sham is my social goal. I see the Konservatives working to create a tyranny of wealth and a society that excludes all but the socially and economically proper males from authority.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:15 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
I'm outnumbered by conservatives on here by 10 to 1, easily, probably more than that.

Feelings are not facts. The forum leads hard right. Fox news has more balance and broader political leanings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This.
When your positions make even Florida Bob look like a hardcore rightie, it's understandable that you would feel the way you do. As you said, though, SF, "feelings are not facts," and on what you said above, you are way off the mark.

Quote:
I had been reading other forums lately. One of which was Democratic underground. And man, most other forums are full of people who think exactly alike, and they are offended when someone actually disagrees with them.

I personally don't even see the point in a forum like that.

I think when you surround yourself with the equivalent of yes-men, you become sort of separated from reality. As there is no one there to point out the flaws in your thought processes.

The truth is, even though I post on these forums as if I am absolutely certain of everything, I have learned a LOT from being on these forums. Anytime someone tells me something I don't know(usually to counter my argument), I have to take hours or sometimes even days to learn about it. This forum has been sort of my ultimate political inspiration, and has helped to guide me on my quest for knowledge.

And I don't think that could have ever been the case, had this been a forum of people on the same side of the political spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies