Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You took the words out of my mouth, we need some credible links.
my thoughts as well. I can't stand big brother or anything to do with the naany state, but I have my doubts if what is being posted is really true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I might have missed it but the link your provided shows tracking of things I'd expect like insurance claims, criminal record, etc. nothing about insurance companies finding out how much ice cream or beer you buy as threadstarter implied.

Last edited by elnina; 06-13-2012 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Deleted copyrighted quote.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You mean those loyalty cards that get you discounted prices? For Ralphs supermarket, I asked for one, received it with the part you fill out, then threw the latter part in the trash.

For Vons, I filled it out with bogus info.
Exactly. I'm Joe Blow at 123 Consumer Ave, they don't care whats on that thing when you turn it in.

I believe the credit card companies receive a transaction amount, they know the store and that $x was spent, they don't get a grocery receipt saying candy was purchased.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:59 AM

786 posts, read 1,594,444 times
Default Read this article

Here's one of many articles regarding my post if you're interested, I have to say I'm surprised some of you have no idea what's going on regarding personal data collection, if you don't believe it then you don't have to worry about it, if you want privacy and don't want to be profiled, watch how you use plastic and be careful about giving out personal information including your birthday, phone number and even your zip code, it can all be cross referenced to find out your personal information including your social security number. Databases collect your personal information and invasion of privacy

And a "privacy policy" from a supermarket chain supporting what I said in my post:

https://yes.spartanstores.com/privacy
http://www.giantfood.com/savings/car...acy_policy.htm

Last edited by judd2401; 06-13-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 11:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Here's one of many articles regarding my post if you're interested, I have to say I'm surprised some of you have no idea what's going on regarding personal data collection, if you don't believe it then you don't have to worry about it, if you want privacy and don't want to be profiled, watch how you use plastic and be careful about giving out personal information including your birthday, phone number and even your zip code, it can all be cross referenced to find out your personal information including your social security number. Databases collect your personal information and invasion of privacy

And a "privacy policy" from a supermarket chain supporting what I said in my post:

Savings*-* Giant
Who said we didnt believe you, we merely asked for credible links.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,795,182 times
Conversely, anyone who has the local white pages and knows my name, can find out my home address, zip code, and phone number. Anyone who has ANY address in the USA, can find out the current owner, and their personal contact information, because it's a matter of public record. They can even find out how much they paid for the property.

Your bank knows your social security number, and so does everyone who works for the bank with computer access. Including the computer help desk technician, who doesn't deal with you personally, ever, for any reason. But he knows where you live, he knows how much money you have, he knows your bank account number, and he knows your social security number. He probably also has access to your signature file.

Really though, the information the government already has access to about you, is significantly more than anything your supermarket points card can provide. They don't NEED that information to do pretty much whatever they want.

In general, the points cards collect *non-identifiable* data that insurance companies get. For instance: they get things like:

Customers tend to buy cigarettes, booze, and candy more on Tuesdays than on Thursdays, and buy more cigarettes on Saturdays than any other day of the week.

They don't get things like:
Sue Jones bought 2 cartons of Marlboros last tuesday.

Insurance companies are looking at trends, because presently, insurance companies are for-profit entities wanting to market their product, just like every other for-profit business. So they might design a new preventative health program for prospective customers, involving free fitness tests at the local supermarket on Saturdays (thus targetting the people with the most to gain from such a fitness test - smokers and families of smokers).

They don't, and can't, care about Sue Jones' 2-carton purchase, because they have no way of knowing who those cigarettes are FOR. They know only that Sue paid for them.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Read the privacy policies from any credit card or bank [debit cards] and it states they collect information about you and your purchases. I know first hand that if you buy cigarettes with a credit or debit card, that info is being sold and shared with third parties, as I work for one that collects all kinds of info and profiles smokers, obesity, people who are considered high risk for heart disease and on and on and on. I don't want to argue with anyone, just trying to be helpful, not sure why there's been such a reaction to my post but it's all there in small print what info is collected and how it's shared.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post

Savings*-* Giant
You said that grocery store loyalty cards and credit cards sell information to the government about purchases that can be tied to specific individuals. Neither of the links you provided says that.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
You said that grocery store loyalty cards and credit cards sell information to the government about purchases that can be tied to specific individuals. Neither of the links you provided says that.
Exactly. So far, no reliable cites that "the guvmint" is collecting very specific data on individual purchases by individual citizens.

I smell a conspiracy theory.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:13 PM

I never said the government, it's mainly insurance companies, banks, investment firms, employers, third parties. This will be my last post as folks have their opinions, sharing of information and data collection are very specifically spelled out in the 3 articles I cited, it's been going on for many years and the fact that it is happening prompted the government to pass legislation to force disclosure of exactly how companies share information, otherwise they would never reveal it. I think our society is being more manipulated and controlled then ever, and it's simply hard to believe for many people.

Last edited by judd2401; 06-13-2012 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies