Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:48 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Health panel talks about wider food ban - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines

It appears that this panel - the members of which were appointed by Michael Bloomberg of course - may feel that banning large sodas is not enough.

I'm assuming that "milk-coffee beverages" would mean espresso-based beverages like lattes, mochas, and Frappuccinos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 12:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I am not saying that my experience in any way represents NYC. I was in NYC this past weekend. I saw very few fat people. Central Park was full of people jogging (there were two marathons going on), playing baseball, walking their dogs or otherwise just out getting exercise.

There were certainly no fat tour pushers. The guys who were selling purses could move pretty fast. I suppose all the fat people were sitting at home where they could slug down a 2 litre's without anyone bugging them.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am not saying that my experience in any way represents NYC. I was in NYC this past weekend. I saw very few fat people. Central Park was full of people jogging (there were two marathons going on), playing baseball, walking their dogs or otherwise just out getting exercise.

There were certainly no fat tour pushers. The guys who were selling purses could move pretty fast. I suppose all the fat people were sitting at home where they could slug down a 2 litre's without anyone bugging them.
People in NYC tend to be pretty fit. I would say it's in large part because they have to walk quite a bit more than the average American does. The last time I was in New York was in 2004 and, while I suppose things could have changed since then, I remember seeing very few fat people any of the times I've been.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well this panel seems to know best. Did anyone tell them about Burger King's new dessert ?

And why so selective ? Popcorn isn't bad with no butter/salt.
And only milkshakes ? What about sundaes, bananna splits, frosties, etc ?

By the time this panel is done the people in NYC will be reduced to eating whole wheat bread and drinking water.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Another question..will they give exemptions to tourists and skinny people ?

Old 06-13-2012, 01:25 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
People in NYC tend to be pretty fit. I would say it's in large part because they have to walk quite a bit more than the average American does. The last time I was in New York was in 2004 and, while I suppose things could have changed since then, I remember seeing very few fat people any of the times I've been.

Skinny does not equal fit

and..... there are many fat people in NYC..... wow, the amount of ignorance in that post

I seriously doubt you visited NYC

These things aside...... this is just more nanny state control tactics by the capitol of the nanny state ...NYC

Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
The real problem is that our illustrious Mayor is, when you get right down to it, a control freak. Elective office does not suit him; he would much rather be a King or an Emperor than a Mayor. He just isn't happy unless he's telling everyone what to do. No big surprise that he's expanded his range of dictates into the area of foodstuffs.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post

Skinny does not equal fit

and..... there are many fat people in NYC..... wow, the amount of ignorance in that post

I seriously doubt you visited NYC

These things aside...... this is just more nanny state control tactics by the capitol of the nanny state ...NYC
I think there are less fat people in NYC than elsewhere in the country. I've been to NYC four times that I can remember off the top of my head...

Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I think there are less fat people in NYC than elsewhere in the country. I've been to NYC four times that I can remember off the top of my head...
Not even close..... try again

I used to go to NY every weekend growing up..... a heck of alot more than 4 times... and actually went to places other than Times Square

NY is middle of the pack in terms of fatties

Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Yes there are a lot of very fit people in NYC. Just yesterday a friend was relating a conversation w/ his friend from NYC. She was going up to some elevated train tracks to catch a train when flying down the steps at full speed was a young man. The young man reached the bottom of the stairs at a high rate, then took off like a shot down the street.

When she went up the stairs to the platform, there was a lady was crying and screaming: "help, he took my IPOD!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies