Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:41 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,330,074 times

Advertisements

Can Chicago ever be fixed?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...full-life?lite

CHICAGO – Business is disturbingly steady for Spencer Leak, Sr. It’s not that he is unaccustomed to being busy. After all, he is a successful funeral home director with two locations and his family has been in the funeral business for almost 80 years.

It’s just that many of the people arriving for their “homegoing,” as the services often are called, are so young. Leak said he’s been doing upwards of 125 funerals a year for homicide victims, many of them young adults, some just teenagers, who are victims of the recent surge in violence rocking this city.

“These kids don’t expect to live a full life,” said Leak, a former executive director of the Cook County Department of Corrections. “You get about a thousand other kids who come to these funerals. They see how it’s celebrated and they think this is how I’ll be celebrated when I get shot.”

Chicago’s police commissioner has pointed to gang-related conflicts as the driving force behind the recent surge in gun deaths. From the start of this year through June 18, at least 240 people have been killed, according to the Chicago Police Department.

Just last weekend seven people were killed and 35 injured – marking the third weekend in a row with gunfire victims totaling well into the double digits. The weekend before, 46 people were hurt and eight killed across Chicago. The previous weekend, 29 were injured and three were killed in shootings.
Homicides are up about 35 percent over last year at a time when violent crime nationwide is trending down. U.S. violent crime rates fell in 2011 for the fifth straight year, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation data

On June 11, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn (D) signed a new law into effect targeting gangs. The Illinois Street Gang RICO Act strengthens penalties for organized crimes. Also, police announced plans to put officers on overtime during weekends to patrol the city’s most violent neighborhoods.

“It’s a sad indictment on us,” said Leak. “The spike in crime we’re seeing now is not something that’s surprising to me. I’m talking to at least two-to-three mothers a week whose kids were killed in the streets of Chicago, and I’m just one funeral director.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 04:01 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
A 70% out-of-wedlock birthrate and a too-high number of sperm donors who have no interest whatsoever in being a "dad" is a recipe for disaster for any group of people.

Politicians will never fix that. That's asking too much.

Last edited by doc1; 06-19-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 06-19-2012, 04:09 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
I take it Father's Day is a foreign holiday in much of south side Chicago?

Something's really wrong with the culture if we can have a black president and yet so many young black people feel so hopeless about their lives and their future that they believe the only true life for them is the thug life and that having a funeral attended by the whole bad boy gang is glamorous.

I think many of these kids are starving for male role models. Men need to man up and be a father to their kids, not a part-time stranger who visits their mom for a little action every now and then.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
The "gang culture" has a grip on groups in America. But few are willing to admit it and less are willing to try to do something about it.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,706 times
Celebrate that 2nd Amendment right.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:34 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Sounds like a business opportunity. Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
Celebrate that 2nd Amendment right.
Chicago has some pretty strict gun laws. Now you know that gun laws or not, these gangs will get the weapons. This has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment because criminals don't follow the law.

Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Chicago has some pretty strict gun laws. Now you know that gun laws or not, these gangs will get the weapons. This has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment because criminals don't follow the law.

Gun laws in Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I dare say the 2nd Amendment has a little something to do with the availability of guns in Chicago.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
I dare say the 2nd Amendment has a little something to do with the availability of guns in Chicago.
Are you one of those "get rid of the guns and the killings will stop" type of person ?

Old 06-19-2012, 04:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Reminds me of when my kid used to go to raves- It was not an important of significant event unless someone died on the dance floor from an over doze of E. Nothing bothers me more than a news cast that shows young people embracing each other in tears because of the useless death of one of their peers due to mindless violence- where some clown demanded a thing called respect and got a bullet instead.

This is a fabricated culture...and when city officials send in "grief councilors" what the hell is that? What is are these community collage graduated social workers going to do...show then how to blow up a balloon and where to put a damned teddy bear at some make shift memorial - where memory fades so fast that the person is forgotten in two weeks.

That's what they don't get about this glorious idea about going out in flames- people are curious- and they morn...and then they forget about you AS IF YOU WERE NEVER BORN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies