Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 05:59 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,687,569 times

Advertisements

I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 06:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,333,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
While intelligence is pouring in about Osama's imminent attack on the US, Bush remains on vacation for the entire month of August making a presidential record for the longest vacation.

Oh, baloney!!! Do we really have to go down this road again? This has all been hashed and re-hashed so many times, and so many of these so-called "proof that he was warned" documents have been shown to be of a general nature. All old news.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The left just continues to blame Bush, because it serves their purpose. Get over it!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'm not sure why it matters. Klinton was offered Osama's head on a silver platter and he declined, saying Osama wasn't important enough to fool with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I saw it on the internet, so it must be true.

Have anything factual to support what is otherwise just pure urban myth?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,113 times
Quote:
I guess it matters because Bush ignored intelligence that would have saved the lives of over 3000 citizens.
I hate to point out the obvious, but I guess it's required.

1. Had Clinton acted and accepted Osama's head when offered, this thread would be moot.

2. So, what warning did he ignore. Which one said planes would be hijacked and aimed at buildings? I missed that one.

3. How many of those attackers were here illegally? Three of them, illegal, another 2 were on agency watch lists, yet were allowed to obtain visas. WHY? In fact, how many people are here illegally today, and why have we done nothing as a country to deal with it? What do you think would happen if you were picked up in Mexico, France, Germany, or Russia for being there illegally? Do you truly believe that any of these countries would allow you to simply live there illegally?

4. FYA, the CIA cannot operate on American soil, that's the job of the FBI, and since there is a failure in interagency communication, how do you know what the FBI was doing or not doing on the president's orders?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:34 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,017,072 times
Quote:
This is all the evidence Bush needed to go after Osama: "expects Usama Bin Laden to launch multiple attacks "

That's ridiculous. Even pre-9/11 the entire intelligence community was a mess. The CIA was still stuck in Cold War mode, it's budgets were slashed to the bone after the Soviet collpase, and their means of collecting information was still in a very orthodox manner. The WH was receiving hudreds if not 1000's of reports on possible terror targets that were completely false, and they weren't even equipped to deal with it. After 9/11, with Bush, they got their budgets in order and readjusted how they dealt with terrorism.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,563,928 times
Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda AFTER THE FACT is a moot debate.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,769,803 times
Lol, the US in under threat of imminent attack everyday. What would you have Bush do with such vague warnings?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
Quote:
During the entire month of August, President Bush was on vacation at his ranch in Texas — which tied with one of Richard Nixon’s as the longest vacation ever taken by a president.

I've often worked from home, typically on hours long conference calls, connected to the workplace by VPN which included active email and chat windows. Not difficult to keep in touch and to multi-task.

To think that a President who is 'away' from Washington DC, at his working home is on vacation is willful ignorance. And on that fateful day that AirForce One was in the air most of the day, Bush and staff were in constant contact with functioning government.

Even LBJ was sworn in as President while aboard the Prez jet just after JFK was pronounced dead. Jackie O was right next to him.
Quote:
So you are saying that Bush was FULLY informed about all of the Osama-attack intelligence while on vacation and ignored it while continuing his vacation! Wow! Just Wow!!
No, I don't see that anywhere in the quote, so obviously you're just assuming to suit your own intent. And just to be sure, the quote isn't racist, either.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I hate to point out the obvious, but I guess it's required.

1. Had Clinton acted and accepted Osama's head when offered, this thread would be moot.
Spoiler

2. So, what warning did he ignore. Which one said planes would be hijacked and aimed at buildings? I missed that one.

3. How many of those attackers were here illegally? Three of them, illegal, another 2 were on agency watch lists, yet were allowed to obtain visas. WHY? In fact, how many people are here illegally today, and why have we done nothing as a country to deal with it? What do you think would happen if you were picked up in Mexico, France, Germany, or Russia for being there illegally? Do you truly believe that any of these countries would allow you to simply live there illegally?

4. FYA, the CIA cannot operate on American soil, that's the job of the FBI, and since there is a failure in interagency communication, how do you know what the FBI was doing or not doing on the president's orders?
As would much of the last ten years of world history...

Devil with a blue dress on....

Old 06-24-2012, 09:05 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,101,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
...and yet Clinton did not view al Qaeda as a threat, and left that terrorist group out of his report

False and False. Clinton referred to Al Quida several times, and left the 1998 & revised 2000 strategy for dealing with Al Quida. Richard Clarke who was the terrorism point man in the Clinton admin ALSO gave BUSH his first memo on Al Quida on JANUARY 25, 2001.

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB147/clarke%20memo.pdf

Also, if Bush had NOT downgraded his national security briefings to a DEPUTY level status, AND kept them at a PRINCIPAL level he personally would have been hearing about these warnings...SEVEN different warnings, instead of relying on deputies to summarize and hope the information bubbles to the top.

FIVE days into his admin., Bush was being warned and notified about Al Quida. FIVE DAYS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies