Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is a little sad to see the rise of anti-intellectualism in the U.S.

You see it everyday on CD and on Television. The villanization of true science and the hate directed toward academia.

Politicians act as the champions of the common folk while at the same time portraying educated individuals as being elitist and detached from the real world.

We have seen this before and it did not have a happy ending.

It is very common with the rise of Authoritarian regimes such as:

Cambodia - Under the Khmer Rhouge where teachers were gathered together and executed.
Italy - under fascism
Germany - under Hitler

Even more alarming is the arrogance about that lack of knowledge. The problem is not just the things we do not know (consider the one in five American adults who, according to the National Science Foundation, thinks the sun revolves around the Earth); it's the alarming number of Americans who have smugly concluded that they do not need to know such things in the first place.

Our culture seems to be going in the wrong direction.
It starts with education.

As you know, progressives have been in charge of education in America for about 100 years.

Look at the results.

An uninformed, non thinking, uneducated citizenry.

You can only deceive people when they don't know that they are being deceived.

Why do you think that teaching the Constitution is not part of the curriculum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:13 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,506 times
Yes, I see it with the left every day. How ironic.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I really do think that is it. Because even as our country has drifted to the right, the dittoheads remain perpetually outraged. That is exactly what the talk radio business model and all propaganda is all about. Play to peoples' emotions and make people feel like victims.
I guess you've never listened to Sirius/XM Left!

I'm NOT a ditto head, and haven't listened to Rush in years, but Americans have a right to be outraged.

Big government progressives, like Bush, Clinton and Obama have spent us into near the breaking point, but keep saying that the answer is more spending.

Why aren't YOU outraged? (unless you're one of those zero liability voters)

Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Vamos and afoigrogerkok, Great posts! You bring up very good points. Much more nuanced and accurate than my rant against talk radio!

I particularly think it is interesting to think if the more extreme types are actually having impact or being marginalized. I will admit even the GOP passed over the crazies for one of the more sensible candidates this year.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I agree with you. We have followed suit to Northern European cultural development - albeit at a much slower pace, probably because of the greater heterogeneity of our society. Even intra-nation within the EU, the developments have been differential - although generally in the same direction. The shift in the US has been across the board, usually driven by the younger generation, and has even affected those who claim to be conservative. Thus, many young conservatives agree with the notion of, for example, homosexual marriage (a definitive liberal idea) simply because they fail to identify with the notion of selective equality.

At the same time, the far right has taken to the drums to make their outrage heard. I think nobody can deny that they have been successful in their endeavor - the question remains if their hubbub will affect a lasting hindrance in our progression or if it simply pushes them more into the fringe of society.

From what I can tell on this forum, most level-headed people do not credit extremists too much - whatever side of the alleged divide they are on. Generally, we hear terms such as "troll," "tin foil hat," etc. - all of which speak of a marginalization of these people and their ideology.

Now, I know that you label yourself a conservative - I would label myself progressive. Yet, we agree on many, many things - which tells me that we are both somewhere in the center. Just like most Americans.

I have also been labelled "intellectual" and "intellectual elite" more often than I can remember - in real life and generally in NYC. I have never seen that as an offensive term. Now that I live in the south, my neighbors have the same impression - and they are definitely conservatives. None of them have ever expressed any anti-intellectualism. Quite the contrary.
Very well said. I tried to rep you, but apparently did too recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Thus, I think it's just a few talking heads on the right who desperately want to create such a divide: The out-of-touch liberal elite on one side, the rest of America (the average Joe) on the other side. Doing so will make voting much, much easier...and it will be along the lines these guys would like it.
I agree to some degree. But I would also allege that a few "talking heads" on the left want to create a similar divide between those who they want everyone to see as out-of-touch "anti-intellectuals" on one side and everyone else on the other side.

I should also mention that, even as a "conservative," I appreciate some of the cultural changes in society and I think many have been for the better. However, I think many have been for the worse, yet many sensible "liberals" would likely say the same thing - and we would likely agree on most of the changes we think have been good and most that we think have been bad. There is not this huge divide in our society no matter how desperately some want there to be.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I guess you've never listened to Sirius/XM Left!

I'm NOT a ditto head, and haven't listened to Rush in years, but Americans have a right to be outraged.

Big government progressives, like Bush, Clinton and Obama have spent us into near the breaking point, but keep saying that the answer is more spending.

Why aren't YOU outraged? (unless you're one of those zero liability voters)

Guess not. Most lefties find that stuff annoying. I am plenty outraged, just not for same reasons as you, apparently.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It starts with education.

As you know, progressives have been in charge of education in America for about 100 years.

Look at the results.

An uninformed, non thinking, uneducated citizenry.

You can only deceive people when they don't know that they are being deceived.

Why do you think that teaching the Constitution is not part of the curriculum?
Just wanted to say that my son learned the constitution (read and discussed it in it's entirety) in 3rd grade and he goes to a charter school run by touchy-feely liberals. I'm not a liberal but I admit they care about these kids and teach them well. Also learning the constitution, like my son did in 3rd grade is a state standard here, so all kids learn it in the 3rd grade and they do it practically every year after that.

If your kids aren't learning the constitution (bill of rights, how amendments are ratified, about the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of government) then you need to go to some school board meetings and make a fuss.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to say that my son learned the constitution (read and discussed it in it's entirety) in 3rd grade and he goes to a charter school run by touchy-feely liberals. I'm not a liberal but I admit they care about these kids and teach them well. Also learning the constitution, like my son did in 3rd grade is a state standard here, so all kids learn it in the 3rd grade and they do it practically every year after that.

If your kids aren't learning the constitution (bill of rights, how amendments are ratified, about the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of government) then you need to go to some school board meetings and make a fuss.
Excellent!

It doesn't happen in most schools.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Very well said. I tried to rep you, but apparently did too recently.

I agree to some degree. But I would also allege that a few "talking heads" on the left want to create a similar divide between those who they want everyone to see as out-of-touch "anti-intellectuals" on one side and everyone else on the other side.

To be honest, I think the anti-intellectual slant is because the GOP has decided this year to demand that its candidates put forward that evolution does not occur, AGW is a massive hoax, environmental degradation is a non issue, etc. These are pretty boneheaded views that paint conservatives as anti-science, and therefore anti-intellectual at best, corporate prostitutes at worst. Add in the blatent deceptions (Obama caused the recession), and they made the choice to define conservatism on terms that alienates most educated people. Can intellectuals be conservative? Of course.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:37 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
To be honest, I think the anti-intellectual slant is because the GOP has decided this year to demand that its candidates put forward that evolution does not occur, AGW is a massive hoax, environmental degradation is a non issue, etc. These are pretty boneheaded views that paint conservatives as anti-science, and therefore anti-intellectual at best, corporate prostitutes at worst.
Yes, I agree, but I also think the more hardcore liberals need a bit of a reality check on some of the environmental issues. I have mentioned my stance on global warming before - yes, I believe in it and I do think we are contributing to it, but I think the effects and magnitude are often overstated. I also think pollution is a much bigger problem that we are making a much larger contribution to. However, liberals have got to realize that we are not going to be not using oil anytime soon. We need to be shifting away from it as quickly as possible, but not so fast that it ruins our economy. We need to accept that we're going to be using oil for quite awhile longer despite our long-term goals, and need to drill for it here (in the short-term only) rather than being so reliant on oil from the Middle East as we transition to other energy sources. We also need to accept that wind and solar power are not economically feasible to be used on a large scale at the present time, so we need to focus more on natural gas, clean coal (and, yes, there is such a thing), and nuclear power (though I do have some concerns over safety when it comes to nuclear power plants and nuclear waste).

And, yes, I absolutely believe in evolution (and always have).

Quote:
Add in the blatent deceptions (Obama caused the recession), and they made the choice to define conservatism on terms that alienates most educated people.
As I've said before, I don't believe Obama caused the recession (which has actually been over since June of 2009). My issue with Obama is that I think he has hindered the recovery. There is a distinction there and I hope that, even as an Obama supporter, you can see that even if you disagree with my points.

As far as conservatism alienating most educated people, college graduates still lean Republican more than voters as a whole, though those with postgraduate education (but also HS dropouts) do lean Democrat. That being said, mainstream Republican candidates are not preaching "conservatism" the way the more extreme elements of the right want them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies