Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,226,055 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the hostility and animosity towards people who are educated and intellectual. Many on the right have this contempt for anyone that immerses themselves in academic endeavors. You hear it from prominent conservatives like Sarah Palin taking jabs at "college professors" or people who went to "Ivy league schools" As though as geeting an education is something to be scourned.

It's also manifiested in a general distrust of science, from theories of global warming to evolution. I don't know how many times I've heard use the Bible as an explanation for evolution or other theories. It's not just limited to science but to other areas. I've actually heard people say they don't want their kids being taught a second language. WTF??!!! Are they willfullly ignorant or is this a manifestation of some sort of insecurity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
it's funny that the contempt for "ivory-tower" liberals also comes from the same Senators & House members who were schooled at the very same "ivory-towers" they decry.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,960,510 times
1) Many conservatives are bible thumpers

2) The bible is taken very literally by most

3) Modern science has debunked most of the biblical creation stories

Therefore, modern science and intellectualism are a threat to their worldview, so they have to turtle up against it in order to rationalize their viewpoint and way of life. Bible blinders in the great horse race of life.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
I don't understand the hostility and animosity towards people who are educated and intellectual. Many on the right have this contempt for anyone that immerses themselves in academic endeavors. You hear it from prominent conservatives like Sarah Palin taking jabs at "college professors" or people who went to "Ivy league schools" As though as geeting an education is something to be scourned.

It's also manifiested in a general distrust of science, from theories of global warming to evolution. I don't know how many times I've heard use the Bible as an explanation for evolution or other theories. It's not just limited to science but to other areas. I've actually heard people say they don't want their kids being taught a second language. WTF??!!! Are they willfullly ignorant or is this a manifestation of some sort of insecurity?
It's simple.

From Dr. Britt's 14 points of Fascism:

11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts

Intellectuals and the inherent freedom of ideas and expression associated with them were anathema to these regimes. Intellectual and academic freedom were considered subversive to national security and the patriotic ideal. Universities were tightly controlled; politically unreliable faculty harassed or eliminated. Unorthodox ideas or expressions of dissent were strongly attacked, silenced, or crushed. To these regimes, art and literature should serve the national interest or they had no right to exist.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:43 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:

It's also manifiested in a general distrust of science, from theories of global warming to evolution. I don't know how many times I've heard use the Bible as an explanation for evolution or other theories.
it is the leftist elite that has animosity for the working man. the left elite think they are better than the Joe plumber.
I have a college degree and do not consider myself any better or worse than the man that does not. My home AC guy does not have a degree but i need him and respect that despite not having a degree he has set up and ran his own company for over 27 years.
You on the left call him rich and want to tax him because he makes 250,000 a year. So he is going to have to fire people.
The right has animosity toward the arrogance of the left elite who consider themselves better than the average Joe soley based on a degree.
You hate him because he believes in a god you do not, yet he does not hate you for no believing in god. You hate him because he does not believe in global warming and you call him hateful for doing so, even though credible scientists see things his way. But he is hated by you because he does not agree with you.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:44 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:

I think you have it wrong, its not a good education that people have a problem with, its the "college professors" or people who went to "Ivy league schools" who look down on anyone who did not get an Ivy League education ""is something to be scourned."And anyone who does not faithfully believe that global warming is caused by mankind ""is something to be scourned."

But then this is your normal perception, that anyone who voices disagreement with 0bama is a racist and a bigot, and anyone who disagrees with al Gore's global warming hype is stupid and bigoted.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Quote:

I dont understand liberals hostility towards those that arent educated.Why do they think that an education makes them a better person with less education. That they can talk down to so many people?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,525,766 times
Even William F Buckley himself said that the conservative movement had commited "intellectual suicide" (regarding Iraq).

It's really too bad because conservatism certainly has its place in the political debate, some POV which I agree with, but it's been hijacked by the lowest of the low. I'm sure there are brilliant conservative minds out there but they remain in the dark because neocons appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:47 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:

??????

Where do you come up with stuff? How exactly did you determine that conservatives are "anti-intellectual"?

Nearly all the physicians I know, including those in academics, are conservatives. Nearly all the physics and engineering profs I had in college were conservatives.

Conservatives are not anti- intellectual. They are anti-idiot. I think you are confusing liberal professors in liberal arts areas as being 'intellectuals".

Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Oh, it's really not like this country has ever embraced intellectuals. Most people don't trust what they don't understand. And it's a two-way street, isn't it? Liberals don't trust conservatives because they often don't understand the conservative mindset. Conservatives don't trust liberals because they don't understand the reasoning of liberals. And the majority of people don't trust geniuses because they don't understand how geniuses arrive at their conclusions. More than that, literature and art have actually nurtured a distrust of extremely high achievers. There is a popular perception that intellectual prowess comes at a cost, and that very smart people are emotionally very cold people. So not only is it challenging to identify with someone who is extremely smart because it's difficult to always understand their perspective, it's also culturally satisfying to not identify with very smart people, because if they're so smart, they must be defective in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies