Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,179,406 times

Advertisements

From Wiki:

Dictators, and their dictatorship supporters, use anti-intellectualism to gain popular support, by accusing intellectuals of being a socially detached, politically-dangerous class who question the extant social norms, who dissent from established opinion, and who reject nationalism, hence they are unpatriotic, and thus subversive of the nation. Violent anti-intellectualism is common to the rise and rule of authoritarian political movements, such as Italian Fascism, Soviet Stalinism in Russia, Nazism in Germany, the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, and Iranian theocracy.[citation needed]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,157,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphels View Post
Why is that liberals think that if you are educated in some nonsense that has nothing at all to do with surviving or even making your life better makes you a better person? Tell me, what does having knowledge of what country brought us the potato, for instance, have any bearing on what I do for a living or make me a better person? Why do I need to know physics or organic chemistry if that is not what I do? What does filling my brain with useless trivial knowledge do for me to make my life better? It does nothing whatsoever. I could have went to 10 years of school for business or banking or law and would be purely stupid when it came to IT work which I actually do. College is worthless for alot of people beyond 2 years. I went to college for 4 years and STILL had to take courses in Networking and take several tests and PASS to get the required credentials. I could NOT have gotten them in college alone and I didn't even need the 4 years to get what I got.
Thanks for illustrating the OP's point.

Being more knowledgeable and worldly will help move your opinions from emotional to factual in many cases. Would knowing a little organic chemistry help you evaluate information about your health-- or global warming in a more systematic, and correct way? Would knowledge of banking and finance make you a better investor and wealthier? Being more knowledgeable and worldly makes you a better consumer, self health advocate, and citizen. Being able to think critically is the difference between being sheeple and people... (If you're saying "OH YEAH! I make up MY own mind", I would ask, based on what? If you have no education in the subject or area, are you simply listening to the MSM or Rush without critique or thought?)

College is also not trade school. College while not directly giving you the job skills for your trade, made you better at studying for and more likely to PASS those tests which you mentioned...

Education also makes you more interesting to talk to...

Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM

49 posts, read 28,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
From Wiki:

Dictators, and their dictatorship supporters, use intellectualism to gain popular support, by accusing regular folk of being a socially detached, politically-dangerous class who question the extant social norms, who dissent from established opinion, and who reject nationalism, hence they are unpatriotic, and thus subversive of the nation. Violent intellectualism is common to the rise and rule of authoritarian political movements, such as Italian Fascism, Soviet Stalinism in Russia, Nazism in Germany, the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia, and Iranian theocracy.[citation needed]
I fixed a few typos for you, now it is the exact definition of The New Democratic Party.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM

[quote=thecoalman;14113640While there is certainly a lot of people out there that have the same attitude as you there is also the "elite" element that think the work of a carpenter is beneath them. I don't consider someone with advanced degrees such as my neighbor an idiot, the trouble is I'm an idiot right up until the point he needs me then I'm a genius.[/QUOTE]

Where are these people who think carpentry is beneath them? I don't meet them too often...

There are many examples in this thread of folks who think not being able to change your own oil is endlessly funny...

Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Thanks for illustrating the OP's point.

Being more knowledgeable and worldly will help move your opinions from emotional to factual in many cases. Would knowing a little organic chemistry help you evaluate information about your health-- or global warming in a more systematic, and correct way? Would knowledge of banking and finance make you a better investor and wealthier? Being more knowledgeable and worldly makes you a better consumer, self health advocate, and citizen. Being able to think critically is the difference between being sheeple and people... (If you're saying "OH YEAH! I make up MY own mind", I would ask, based on what? If you have no education in the subject or area, are you simply listening to the MSM or Rush without critique or thought?)

College is also not trade school. College while not directly giving you the job skills for your trade, made you better at studying for and more likely to PASS those tests which you mentioned...

Education also makes you more interesting to talk to...
None of what you mentioned here would do a damn thing for me. The things you listed can be thought of by employing true common sense. Global Warming, common sense mixed with historical fact. No schooling needed.... Stock Trading? Hire someone, it is cheaper than the schooling for it...Organic Chemistry? Leave that to the chemists. You cannot be a jack of all trades, you will end up being a master of none and only good for a game of Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,227,482 times
Quote:
None of what you mentioned here would do a damn thing for me. Global Warming, common sense mixed with historical fact. No schooling needed.... Stock Trading? Hire someone, it is cheaper than the schooling for it...Organic Chemistry? Leave that to the chemists. You cannot be a jack of all trades, you will end up being a master of none and only good for a game of Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit.
I rest my case.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,204,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Or a person I know with a 12 year degree who was telling my wife how much trial and error, and burned bags of popcorn it took, before he finally perfected the sequence of times and power settings to finally microwave a perfect bag of popcorn. Then my wife, with her HS diploma, asked him why he didn't just push the "Popcorn" button? You should have seen his jaw drop. LOL
Good point! Surely, we can have countless examples of college educated that can't do plumbing, minor home repairs, or fix toasters. But do you begrudge him for not pressing the right button? Do you feel superior to the guy with a 12 year degree?
Not to forget...a plumber may not know how to replace his car battery; an auto mechanic may not know how to change a washer; a carpenter may not know how to fix the vacuum cleaner; etc. etc. Also, a computer programmer may not know how to evaluate geological statistics; a history professor may not know how to get his printer to work; a geo-physicist may not know how to program a computer, etc. etc.
Everyone can't be knowledgeable in all fields.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
None of what you mentioned here would do a damn thing for me. The things you listed can be thought of by employing true common sense. Global Warming, common sense mixed with historical fact. No schooling needed.... Stock Trading? Hire someone, it is cheaper than the schooling for it...Organic Chemistry? Leave that to the chemists. You cannot be a jack of all trades, you will end up being a master of none and only good for a game of Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit.
How can you truly understand Global Warming without science? Common Sense? Sorry, no. This is intellectually lazy. No wonder so many people don't hesitate to scream about things that they know nothing about...

If you hire someone to trade stocks for you, how can you evaluate the information they are giving you? How do you now they are working in your interest and not their own...

Sorry your attitude towards "knowing things" is just pitiful. I guess the one thing about being self-satisfied about the lack of breadth in your personal knowledge base is that you're too ignorant to know that its a problem.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:47 AM

20,494 posts, read 12,416,499 times
There really is a backlash.

Understanding it is simple… But unattainable for you liberals.

We non-libs see you people suffering from "groupthink" and the leaders of your Borg come from the East Coast Intelligentsia.

It really is this simple.

Last edited by Ferd; 05-10-2010 at 11:57 AM..

Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How can you truly understand Global Warming without science? Common Sense? Sorry, no. This is intellectually lazy. No wonder so many people don't hesitate to scream about things that they know nothing about...

If you hire someone to trade stocks for you, how can you evaluate the information they are giving you? How do you now they are working in your interest and not their own...

Sorry your attitude towards "knowing things" is just pitiful. I guess the one thing about being self-satisfied about the lack of breadth in your personal knowledge base is that you're too ignorant to know that its a problem.
I am quite happy with my range of knowledge. Most of it by the way, DID NOT COME FROM SCHOOLS! You learn more hands on then you do in a classroom. Your attitude towards being more book smart makes you a better person is a true elitist's way of thinking. Big deal, you might beat me at Jeopardy, but you'd lag way behind in real world performance when it came to actually DOING something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies