Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,661 times

Advertisements

So much for limited government and restricting the powers of Washington. Essentially now Washington could mandate people to wear shirts, hats, and sunscreen in the summertime or face a tax. After all, people who go without these products are passing on health care costs to others and now the federal government can mandate people to purchase for profit goods and services or face a tax.

This ruling is an extremely bad and dangerous precedent that will have ramifications for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But government isnt getting bigger, just ask liberal Democrats, and those bad bad corporations who are pushed overseas by those imaginary increases not taking place, do so out of greed.. Again, ask Democrats..
Government, via the Democrats, just raised taxes on the American populace. This will not affect the wealthy; they have insurance and can afford it. This will not affect the very poorest that can afford Medicaid. It DOES affect those that cannot afford health insurance. They just got a new tax. Oh and don't expect the states to help with expanded Medicaid. That part was struck down.

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Not good for those that have coporate sponsored healthcare that they contribute a share of. For example, in Maryland years ago, there was competition for employers(Hospitals) to get the most qualified personnel in their radiology departments. Then, someone came up with the idea that licensing for rad techs would be a great idea and they could make more money. Well, the state charges the employees for the licensing and the employers, who used to pay for continuing education for employees stopped paying for it because part of the licensing arrangement required the education.

How does that relate to the ACA? All employees now have to have health insurance. If the employer does not provide a plan the employee will still have to get it. At the moment employers competing for employees that provide health insurance had an edge over those that don't. That will likely change over time, as has the employee share due to the economy in the last few years.

I may have to work until I am 69 as things are right now, because my wife will not qualify for medicare until she turns 66, and we are using my company sponsored healthcare. Private insurance right now is prohibitive. Maybe the ACA will bring the cost down to a reasonable level so I can retire earlier(my health isn't the greatest and I would prefer to retire before I can't enjoy the time). So maybe there is a slight chance Obamacare will work for me, but I won't be holding my breath.

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The government is crying they can't afford SS and medicare and they take on this ?

Now is there a separate fund to collect all these Obamacare taxes ?
And what is to stop Congress from "borrowing" to fund something else ?
They did it to SS didn't they ?

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Small business is exempt if they keep their number of employees below the minimum.
Small business can also opt to 1099 their workers so they are all independent contractors.

I've seen discussions on other forums about how small business owners can survive financially.

and the non-hiring and tax increase?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Not really, there is still an exemption for low income people.
These people don't pay any income taxes now. What makes people think they will suddenly start paying the penalty.

Furthermore, small businesses now pay average of $12000 per employee for coverage. Where's the incentive not to just pay the much less $2000 penalty to drop them all on the exchanges?

Basically you have 20-50 million people dumped on medicare when its already broke, as well as the dangerous precedent of being forced to buy a good or service to maintain good standing with the government. Call it a tax, call it a mandate, whatever...but in reality its fundamentally un-American.

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I see you never answered my post?
Yes I did, go back and read. I paid almost all out of pocket because we're healthy. Now my catastrophic plan goes away. I'll see my medical insurance costs skyrocket. In other words, I just got my taxes raised - a lot.

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
I'm sure the part of Obama's demographic, the late 20's, early 30's folks are going to simply love this, especially after their 27th birthday when they're forced to find insurance on their own and pay student loans at the same time. Gobama!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
If I understand this correctly, then a single person earning $40,000/year just received a 20% increase in their federal taxes if they dont buy insurance.
The approximate real federal tax on $40,000 single filer earnings is 15% which is about $6,000/yr. The "tax" on not buying insurance will be 2 1/2% of income after 2016. This is $1200. $1200 is a 20% increase over the $6000 you would already pay. It doesnt seem you can avoid it either.....if you dont pay the tax...the IRS can come after you or seize any refund you might have received.
Am I missing something here.....please enlighten me if so.
I know the answer is "buy the health insurance" and avoid the tax, BUT anybody know where I can get a policy for $1200 per year???
I think your 2 1/2% is wrong, I heard $285 or 1% income, but under either scenario, why would anyone buy insurance and not just pay the tax?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think your 2 1/2% is wrong, I heard $285 or 1% income, but under either scenario, why would anyone buy insurance and not just pay the tax?
I know at my alma mater will not let you enroll without buying group care. It's sort of a "soft mandate" thanks to Obamacare. Gobama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies