Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Largest tax increase ever?
Obamacare is the largest tax increase in US History 21 36.84%
Obamacare is the largest tax increase in the history of the World 7 12.28%
Obamacare is the largest tax increase in the history of the Galaxy 0 0%
Obamacare is the largest tax increase in the history of the Universe 6 10.53%
Rush Limbaugh is a comedian 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Looks like the GOP's attempt to spin it as tax is taking hold.

Nobody called it a tax until CJ Robert's did. Next up? It'll be an Obama tax!
Nobody called it a tax until Roberts?

Audio: Alito questions solicitor general on mandate as tax - The Hill's Video

"The Justice Department says the mandate is constitutional, in part, under Congress’s power to levy taxes."

It's astonishing how little the left understands of this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Looks like the GOP's attempt to spin it as tax is taking hold.

Nobody called it a tax until CJ Robert's did. Next up? It'll be an Obama tax!
That's not true. Various analysts called it that (including one from Yale and one from West Point) A LONG TIME AGO. The word tax never appears in the bill, but it is implied. It always has been.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:17 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Has this issue caused more whining than any event in history? I think so.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:22 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Has this issue caused more whining than any event in history? I think so.
Whining? There's going to be some serious whining come November when the Republicans get the numbers to repeal this pig.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
For Americans I would say yes- it is the biggest tax increase in the world- In Canada..almost HALF our tax dollars go to health care- we have a lots of fine hospitals and research facilities. You can get the worlds greatest brain surgeon even if you are a drunk who passed out and hit his head in the gutter....what can I say- All our doctors are millionaires or close...and- if you are a little old lady- they have a policy of experimental life extending measures ...out of medical curiosity- They will keep you alive even after you heart - kidneys and brain have failed- and most of you limbs are amputated...it's great- People that should be dead are still creeping about...at a cost of course

Old 06-29-2012, 07:35 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
For Americans I would say yes- it is the biggest tax increase in the world- In Canada..almost HALF our tax dollars go to health care- we have a lots of fine hospitals and research facilities. You can get the worlds greatest brain surgeon even if you are a drunk who passed out and hit his head in the gutter....what can I say- All our doctors are millionaires or close...and- if you are a little old lady- they have a policy of experimental life extending measures ...out of medical curiosity- They will keep you alive even after you heart - kidneys and brain have failed- and most of you limbs are amputated...it's great- People that should be dead are still creeping about...at a cost of course
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Canada also has private insurance. Health care in Canada is free but it is rationed.

And if you are a drunk and get run over in America an American ER team will treat you regardless of your ability to pay.

All the people arguing about the mandate- if you have insurance through work- you are not subjected to it.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
It does not matter how it compares, it is still more taxes. Taxes that Obama lied about.
I voted Limbaugh is a comedian but only because I am amused by him and ******* reactions.

Otherwise, regardless of what Congress thinks, the mandate is legal as a tax. Otherwise, no mandate. If any funds are collected then they are tax funds.

I also believe Obama and his minions deliberately attempted a deceit in saying the mandate is not a tax. They know fully their intent. Can you say... IRS?

I would appreciate a complete decimation of the progressive movement in politics in November... well, I could go on but screw it. The swamp still needs to be drained....

Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Wasn't the public option taken out of the bill in 2010?
Actually, I have no idea. I assumed it was still in there. If it isn't, that really is even worse.

But really... It is single-payer or bust. I think every other country will agree with me on that matter. The hodgepodge private system that we have, makes it too difficult to control costs.

The problem is, you can never sell single-payer to the american people. So they are making incremental changes, which simply won't work, and will have to be amended in the future.

So really, we have two options, single-payer or bust. This hodgepodge won't last.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
There is no public option.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:33 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Canada also has private insurance. Health care in Canada is free but it is rationed.
And it works so well some Canadians come where for treatment?

Quote:
And if you are a drunk and get run over in America an American ER team will treat you regardless of your ability to pay.
Illegals too.

Quote:
All the people arguing about the mandate- if you have insurance through work- you are not subjected to it.
Kerrect! Right up until your employer opts out and leaves you searching for coverage.

My company has. I'm 33 years in service to them.

My doctor is leaving the profession. Our family has been using his services for 22 years.

We the people (that will be paying the bills) will be reminiscing about the the good old days very very very soon.

Mandating taxes in this manner is wrong, no matter what fool of a politician or judge says it's ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies