Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Sorry, I was over in another thread. Yes, I meant Rush Limbaugh, because he more than anyone else has defined conservatism in the last coupla decades. Conservatives in the past were not nearly as mean as they are now. If they lost an election, for one example, they didn't mutter about overthrowing the govt or run out to buy guns. They didn't harass or beat up homeless people either, or work to stop all healthcare and housing assistance for the disabled.
Ok - that is certainly debatable - but I will grant you your opinion on Mr. Limbaugh and his influence on conservatism - even though I disagree.

Why were you mentioning Rush Limbaugh anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM

170 posts, read 129,360 times
I taught in inner city schools. My dad taught in inner city schools. Most of my friends do. Why? Because we actually want to provide more options to children that don't have them. Kindly stop bashing the few people that are willing to put up not only with physical threats from students and parents, but also the persistent bashing from the general public. If you are a career teacher and see that you're school is not functioning well...then by all means address your grievances. Otherwise, all we want is for you to let us do our jobs!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
With a sammich?

LOL

I can't rep you again

Old 07-05-2012, 06:58 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well the problem is that all is this "thinking" is based on ideas floating around in your mind and not on the truth. I already said that I havn't listened to Rush Limbaugh's program in months - and I don't know what quotes from his book you are talking about - but lot's of what was in his book - he says on his show also. It has been years since I read anything he wrote - so I don't know how you can say I have stuff from his book "floating around in my head".
//www.city-data.com/forum/23618798-post6.html :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Perfectly normal reaction from the left - they can't challenge what you said so they resort to name-calling. Your post was beyond their capability to comprehend.

Rush Limbaugh perhaps said it best when addressing liberals who might read his book. - "Don't be surprised if your brain is stimulated to the point that genuine human thought takes place. This is normal for non-liberals. You are making progress". (See I Told You So - Rush Limbaugh - 1993).

Us conservatives understood you perfectly - don't be discouraged!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Harrier, I mentioned Rush because your statements reminded me of his, so I assumed he'd been a big influence on you. I believe that in general, radio messages are better at bypassing critical judgment, because they're often played when attention is diverted to driving or to a job. And quite naturally, bosses on say, an assembly line, will want to play conservative talk radio because it agrees with their views.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you are a conservative, heck, if you are into politics you've listened to Rush, either directly, or through his army of mindless drone minions.

Rush is probably one of the most visibly influential conservatives in America. When Rush sneezes, the right wing catches a cold. He has more pull than Romney or any of the GOP nominees.
Umm - you grossly exagerrate Rush Limbaugh's influence. He is an entertainer - and a very good one. He wants what is best for America - which is conservative leadership and advocates for that on his show. He is a harmless fuzzball with talent on loan from God.

I don't know why you attribute an extra power or influence to the man - he is just doing his job - which is to provide informative and entertaining political commentary to his listeners.

I don't listen to him much - and havn't for at least three months - so I don't know what he has to say about the issues currently. My political views are shaped by conservative principles and common sense. Liberals just can't stand the fact that people actually choose to be consevatives through independent thought and reasoning - so they try to act as if there is some central propaganda outfit.

It isn't so.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,275,926 times
I personally plan to come to the US of A very soon and "date" as many servicemen as I can, as a personal "thank you" for their sacrifices.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Harrier, I mentioned Rush because your statements reminded me of his, so I assumed he'd been a big influence on you. I believe that in general, radio messages are better at bypassing critical judgment, because they're often played when attention is diverted to driving or to a job. And quite naturally, bosses on say, an assembly line, will want to play conservative talk radio because it agrees with their views.
Well - O.K...

Let's take this one by one.

My statements remind you of Rush's statements? We are both conservatives - is that surprising?

Radio messages are played when attention is diverted to driving or on the job? If you are referring to talk radio messages - yes they usually are broadcast during the day because a large audience tends to tune in at that time. Do people listen while they are working or driving? Yes - because radio is something that can be done using only the sense of hearing.

You are making an assumption that because people listen to the radio that they don't read - or use critical thinking skills while they are listening. You have no objective basis to support your claim that people who listen to radio programs aren't independent thinkers - or that they don't process what they listen to through filters such as opposing views, their prior experiences, or objective facts that might refute what they hear. You are making judgments about the critical thinking skills of others while demonstrating poor skills yourself!

Bosses on an assembly line in general can be said to have the same political perspective? Do you have ANYTHING whatsoever to support this absurd assertion?

I'll be waiting.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So - you have never heard of citing direct quotes from a book?

No wonder you are confused.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
He can't buy his own lunch?

I'm sorry, he applied for a job.
He chose his career/job.
No one forced him to do anything.

Why is he special? He's not.

He's doing nothing for the US and not protecting any of my freedoms.
If anything, he's making my life less safe.
The answer to your question^^^^^^^

Multiply this kind of thinking by millions!

They should be ashamed of themselves.

If it were some junkie bum that no one was buying for, she'd be complaining about how mean and selfish those people are. (not that she would have reached into her pocket!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies