Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 05:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
But either way, you pay most of the dues.
Which goes back to my original point is you're effectively supporting a political position you don't believe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. No, you said they are required to join the union. This is absolutely false.
Sorry but whether you're in the union or not if you're paying dues you're "in" the union.

Quote:
2. No, nonmembers do not pay dues, but they can be required to pay an agency fee to support the union's cost of representing them.
What if I don't want them to represent me, shouldn't all employees have that choice?Why should a union be able to force themselves between me and interfere with an employer and myself coming to our terms? Certainly if you do not want the protection of the union you should not be forced to accept the pay or benefits they get. Perhaps I think I'm worth more than what the union gets yet I can't come to my own terms.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sorry but whether you're in the union or not if you're paying dues you're "in" the union.

What if I don't want them to represent me, shouldn't all employees have that choice?Why should a union be able to force themselves between me and interfere with an employer and myself coming to our terms? Certainly if you do not want the protection of the union you should not be forced to accept the pay or benefits they get. Perhaps I think I'm worth more than what the union gets yet I can't come to my own terms.
1. No. You're in the union if you are a member of the union. Your original post was that you are forced to be in the union. Is it so hard to admit that you're wrong when you're wrong?

2. No. All the workers get to vote on whether they will be represented by a union, and the majority rules. You don't get to choose not to be served by our armed forces or local police because you think all Americans should have that choice. This is pretty much the same thing. The only way to enable individual employees to opt out would be to prevent any employee from having the protection of a union.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. No. You're in the union if you are a member of the union. Your original post was that you are forced to be in the union. Is it so hard to admit that you're wrong when you're wrong?
While incorrectly stated in my original post my opinion is by being forced to pay dues to keep a job you are in fact part of the union.

Quote:
2. No. All the workers get to vote on whether they will be represented by a union, and the majority rules.
While it's wrong for a company to force take it or leave it wages onto their employees like we had decades ago when unions were needed now the union has the same practice it's legitimate?

Let me lay it out for you, I'm a private citizen. The company I may want to work for is a private company. Why is it you feel the union should be able to insert itself between me and that company coming to our terms without interference from the union? For example suppose I think I'm worth more to the company that what the union wages are paying, suppose the company feels the same way. Why is it I can't be compensated for my own individual performance?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
So they held an Obama re-election rally and later a teachers' union convention broke out. Bet it's the same with the UAW and AFL-CIO conventions.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
The way my contract puts it is if you choose to not be in the local union (institution level), you still have to pay for the services that they provide (e.g bargaining). But you are not paying dues for nor are you a member of the national union (in our case, the NEA)

Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
you still have to pay for the services that they provide (e.g bargaining).
Understood and if I'm going to accept that the union is going to bargain for my wages and benefits I can understand paying the dues but what if I don't want them bargaining for me and prefer to bargain with the company myself?

\What reasonable explanation is there for me not being able to choose to do that?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
Republican teachers uneasy at Obama-themed union convention | Fox News

Big surprise here...more obama thugs threatening people who don't agree with them..its the theme of the left.
But how would they even know what their political affiliation is. It's not like it's on the application for employment. I agree with another poster who wondered why a teacher would ever vote republican. They treat them like scum of the earth.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Sure, you don't have to officially be a union member to work the job, however, union members move up to positions of administration which decide teacher placement and hiring/firing. Dated a non-union teacher. Though she was a history and social studies teacher, the union administration never gave her those subjects. Those subjects went to less qualified union teachers. Sometimes position was decided based upon the sexual relationships going on (several of administration and teachers were lesbians and were involved with each other). As to why a teacher would support the Republican party, how about improving the free market economy. Improve the free market economy and you increase the tax revenue, both local and national. With increased tax revenue comes money for building repairs or renovations as well as being able to afford to hire more teachers and increase pay/benefits. Democratic party opposes free market economy while growing the number of government employees and federal spending. That kind of government spending can only go on for so long before the house of cards falls.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Sure, you don't have to officially be a union member to work the job, however, union members move up to positions of administration which decide teacher placement and hiring/firing. Dated a non-union teacher. Though she was a history and social studies teacher, the union administration never gave her those subjects. Those subjects went to less qualified union teachers. Sometimes position was decided based upon the sexual relationships going on (several of administration and teachers were lesbians and were involved with each other). As to why a teacher would support the Republican party, how about improving the free market economy. Improve the free market economy and you increase the tax revenue, both local and national. With increased tax revenue comes money for building repairs or renovations as well as being able to afford to hire more teachers and increase pay/benefits. Democratic party opposes free market economy while growing the number of government employees and federal spending. That kind of government spending can only go on for so long before the house of cards falls.
First of all, how do you know they were less qualified. You don't. Maybe your girlfriend was the one not qualified. Did you ever think of that. And you are also speculating that they got their job because they were lesbians and involved Too funny. And most teachers don't support republicans because they are treated like crap by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies