Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

So the biggest users of ERs seem to be medicaid users. Obamacare is not going to solve that, especially when it's expanding to INCLUDE more people.

Health overhaul may mean longer ER waits, crowding - USATODAY.com
The uninsured are no more likely to use ERs than people with private insurance, perhaps because they're wary of huge bills.

The biggest users of emergency rooms by far are Medicaid recipients. And the new health insurance law will increase their ranks by about 16 million. Medicaid is the state and federal program for low-income families and the disabled. And many family doctors limit the number of Medicaid patients they take because of low government reimbursements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So the biggest users of ERs seem to be medicaid users. Obamacare is not going to solve that, especially when it's expanding to INCLUDE more people.

Health overhaul may mean longer ER waits, crowding - USATODAY.com
The uninsured are no more likely to use ERs than people with private insurance, perhaps because they're wary of huge bills.

The biggest users of emergency rooms by far are Medicaid recipients. And the new health insurance law will increase their ranks by about 16 million. Medicaid is the state and federal program for low-income families and the disabled. And many family doctors limit the number of Medicaid patients they take because of low government reimbursements.
A common misconception is about who these medicaid recipients requiring most ER visits are. You appear to be a victim of that.

Hint: It ain't the children you might be fostering or planning to adopt.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you know if you provided the links to begin with to back up your assertions then maybe people wouldn't ask.

I've seen you do it. What..your word is "gold" and everyone else is questioned and has to provide "proof" ?

Sorry..it doesn't work that way.

BTW..how did you correlate 1996 crash data and sports injuries to not having insurance ?
Nice deflection on the last sentence (question). There is no correleation you can make on this data and having insurance. I thought, silly me, that you were asking me to provide some stats to prove that young males were more likely to be involved in such things. Which gets to the crux of the matter. Now, maybe it's because I spent a large part of my career in public health, but I thought the fact that males, especially young males, are more likely to be involved in accidents of all kinds, was common knowledge. I guess not.

In regards to the 1996 crash data; it's what I could find. Most of the stuff I found on google search was stats on car accidents in various states, which, when you clicked on the link, was just a title with more links you could click on for various data. I'm sorry I don't want to write a PhD dissertation on this topic this afternoon.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:25 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,202,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Where part of the problem lies in the people that say "I don't need Health Insurance" then they get sick and can't pay the bill.
Im usually in the boat that says "I cant afford health insurance", and I think there are many more in that boat then the one saying "I dont need Health Insurance".

Old 07-09-2012, 04:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think you do a better job Roy, than "the Blaze" could ever do on your own. I like to see you talk, but your insistence of making people visit "the Blaze" gets in the way.

So, all you have for this thread is to make people watch the video? Or, do you actually have something to debate? If you do, bring it on! If you don't... then why bother?

And how much do you think the government should spend on Medicare?
Never watch anything from a source you don't consider truthful at the outset. You will never know that all those young, informed people said the things they said but will continue to thin that you know all about it.

As for what I wanted to talk about we can't talk unless you hear those people talking about all the FREE healthcare they think they will get from Obamacare. Maybe you agree with them, but I don't think so.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The term was "free riders"...

"Our experience also demonstrates that getting every citizen insured doesn't have to break the bank. First, we established incentives for those who were uninsured to buy insurance. Using tax penalties, as we did, or tax credits, as others have proposed, encourages "free riders" to take responsibility for themselves rather than pass their medical costs on to others. This doesn't cost the government a single dollar."
- Mitt Romney, June 2009
Are you saying that Romney sure is the big daddy of Obamacare or are you talking about the way those young people think that free is the way they will get their medical care?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:00 PM

276 posts, read 236,352 times
"The decision is not whether or not we will ration care - the decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open." -Donald Berwick

Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Nothing in life is free, some very stupid and gullible people are eventually going to find out why.

Personally, if people are unwilling to listen to reason and choose aspire to their animal based instincts, then I wish them well in their cage and hope their cage master beats them well. Fools... complete fools..

Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Who says they don't use the system? They may not use it as much as I do at my age, and they don't use it as much as their female age cohorts who are the ones having babies and actually responsible for family planning, but it's not that they don't use the health care system at all. As Dane points out, look at the population of those trauma wards. And they're not all there from auto accidents that car insurance partially pays for. They're there b/c of all the "extreme" and not so extreme sports that they do w/o sometimes even learning how to do them properly, etc. And also, young males do get cancer, kidney stones, communicable diseases, etc.
But Kat, it was young people talking about all that free healthcare they would get from Obamacare. They weren't all just under 26 years old, either.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Yeah those students aren't too bright. Everyone knows you have to wait until you are 65 to get the free, single payer government healthcare.
I don't think you at all understand Medicare. Doctors and other providers of health care get what Medicare will pay them and I know from my nearly 15 years on the system that it isn't very close to what they want to charge. I might add what they do charge to people who have insurance and to those who don't have it. Medicare is not at all free since I started paying into it when it came into effect and am still paying about 10% of my monthly Social Security check to it. It just isn't as free as you younger Captains think it is but then expecting you to know about it is unfair, isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies