Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
is this the point where you simply re-post the same thing over and over again?

No doubt it probably is.

2. Child should be brought up by natural mother and father.
Do you mean 1. ?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:25 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,050,001 times
Quote:
2. Child should be brought up by natural mother and father.
There is no physical need to have both genders as a parental unit.

It's been proven that same gendered rearing is just as effective. In fact, some research shows that lesbian rearing can be more effective.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,328,314 times
Quote:
So does that mean I can get a job as a female lingerie model then?

otherwise, I would have to complain about discrimination.
Absolutely, However as a modeling company has a right to hire someone based on looks to fit a certain look they are trying to appeal to, it isn't discrimination. You simply didn't get hired because they were not looking for an out of shape, hairy man to model female lingerie at this time. They might recommend you to another company or even keep you in mind if they do need such a model.

Models know that they might not get hired based on their looks. Just as actors realize they might not get hired based on their looks, and acting style.

It's not discrimination as you can go after a career in such a field. However, work is not guaranteed.

Does anyone else have a craving for oreos?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,799,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
this makes no sense. The claim was that Romans didn't accept homosexual marriages. I pointed out that in fact they did. An entire book and research article shows that they did. There is literature from that era that even describes homosexual marriage ceremonies in great detail.

WTF are you talking about?

Fail. You can't even follow a conversation.

And the Roman Culture proceeded the advent of Christianity by nearly 2000 years.

And I don't even know why you would use the Bible. Its a book of fairy tales about imaginary beings, a benevolent and mean deity and his child like temper tantrums.
Romans did not accept same sex marriage. One controversial book by biased author is not going change accepted version of history. Everybody can write a book.
Wikipedia is not a best source but if you read closely you'll find that neither Greece nor Rome sanctioned same sex marriage bar one crazy emperor - Nero who is known for a lots of rather crazy things....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_same-sex_unions#section_1

While it is a relatively new practice that same-sex couples are being granted the same form of legal marital recognition as commonly used by mixed-sexed couples, there is a long history of recorded same-sex unions around the world.

Amongst the Romans, there were instances of same-sex marriages being performed, as evidenced by emperors Nero [14][15] and Elagabalus [citation needed] who married men, and by its outlaw in 342 AD in the Theodosian Code, [16] but the exact intent of the law and its relation to social practice is unclear, as only a few examples of same-sex marriage in that culture exist. [17]

In Hellenic Greece, the pederastic relationships between Greek men (erastes) and youths (eromenos) were similar to marriage in that the age of the youth was similar to the age at which women married (the mid-teens, though in some city states, as young as age seven), and the relationship could only be undertaken with the consent of the
father. [citation needed] This consent, just as in the case of a daughter's marriage, was contingent on the suitor's social standing. The relationship consisted of very specific social and religious responsibilities and also had a sexual component. Unlike marriage, however, a pederastic relation was temporary and ended when the boy turned seventeen.

At the same time, many of these relationships might be more clearly understood as mentoring relationships between adult men and young boys rather than an analog of marriage. This is particularly true in the case of Sparta, where the relationship was intended to further a young boy's military training. While the relationship was generally life long and of profound emotional significance to the participants, it was not considered marriage by contemporary culture, and the relationship continued even after participants reached age 30 and married women, as was expected in the culture.

Where do you see a mention of same sex marriage equal to heterosexual marriage and as a socially accepted standard ????

Last edited by rebel12; 07-26-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Everybody can write a book.
Must be why everyone writes books and everyone has her books published. Do you know how peer-review works?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,231,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Romans did not accept same sex marriage. One controversial book by biased author is not going change accepted version of history. Everybody can write a book.
Answer this, please.

"To me, these are some examples of what I feel are traditional, family values. I cherish and uphold the following:

These are what I feel are important to the fabric of American society and allowing homosexuals to marry will destroy this."

There not so hard now is it?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Must be why everyone writes books and everyone has her books published. Do you know how peer-review works?
Really. I heard about books denying Holocaust. Do you think they were peer reviewed?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Keep studying, but not just religiously biased texts. Are you by chance studying history in a Christian college? Cause if you actually did study history, like I do, you would know that Homosexual marriage was not uncommon in many ancient civilizations. It was only demonized by the Christian church as Rome became more and more stupid by following the bible.
No. There was homosexuality in every culture but I am not aware of same sex marriages i. e. same sex unions sanctioned by the law and considered equal with heterosexual marriages, which is what you propose, in any ancient European culture. I went to a secular college in Europe. Read the Wikipedia article below, maybe you'll learn something. Its very brief and simplistic but mostly correct:

Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...ions#section_1

Last edited by rebel12; 07-26-2012 at 12:17 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 12:01 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,111,373 times
What does it matter if gay-marriage like things existed in Rome or Greece or China thousands of years ago?

Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What does it matter if gay-marriage like things existed in Rome or Greece or China thousands of years ago?
It simply shows that changing the definition of marriage means changing a thousand years old tradition. It also shows gay marriage has no roots in European culture. Its a foreign concept.
It also shows that some same sex marriage activists will even distort science such as history to prove their point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies