Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times

Advertisements

How many people who are "rich" right now in the US started with nothing in their pockets? Started with nothing other then public education, paid for their own college by working a job while going to school full time? Watched their parents scrape by just to put food on the table?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:23 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
How many people who are "rich" right now in the US started with nothing in their pockets? Started with nothing other then public education, paid for their own college by working a job while going to school full time? Watched their parents scrape by just to put food on the table?

Less than 4%

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
You should be ashamed. If this was an email I would put it in the SPAM folder.

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
So, you feel that Kim Kardashian worked hard and paid a price to achieve her social status?

I agree that there are rich people that worked hard from the bottom to the top but that is not the case with all of them.
LOL I can tell you that you would be hard pressed to find someone who detests the Kardashian clan and their pomp more than I do. I am sick to death of thier antics and of course bruce Jenners azz kissing ways...
That said.
Kim has a business and she actually devotes a great deal of time and effort into it. Even their flakey show requires a lot of effort.
Yes she got rich the old way but its not as if she isn't working to increase it.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:24 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
It's not knocking him. It's simply showing the romantic notion of bootstrap Romney is not true.

There are examples of rags to riches, Romney is simply not one of them. That's all. Also, having the wealth to not have to work in college is more than not being an island. It's pretty much building future gains on massive wealth.

Most of the time, people do not change their class.
Class has nothing to do with money. I have known extremely economically disadvantaged people with a ton of class and wealthy people with no class at all. Need I say more than Britney Spears?

Romney was never a rags to riches story. He grew up in an environment of privilege, no doubt about that. However, if you are familiar with the story of John Barrymore and a gazillion other children of privilege who died alcoholics, drug abusers and penniless, it is obvious that is no guarantee of success or wealth. You have to have the drive, perseverance and motivation to succeed.

By giving away his inherited money, Mr. Romney proved to the world and himself that he had what it takes to make his own money his own way.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
quite a few I would surmise.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Class has nothing to do with money. I have known extremely economically disadvantaged people with a ton of class and wealthy people with no class at all. Need I say more than Britney Spears?

Romney was never a rags to riches story. He grew up in an environment of privilege, no doubt about that. However, if you are familiar with the story of John Barrymore and a gazillion other children of privilege who died alcoholics, drug abusers and penniless, it is obvious that is no guarantee of success or wealth. You have to have the drive, perseverance and motivation to succeed.

By giving away his inherited money, Mr. Romney proved to the world and himself that he had what it takes to make his own money his own way.

20yrsinBranson
Mitt Romney didnt give away his daddys connections.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
quite a few I would surmise.

20yrsinBranson

Almost none, actually.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Less than 4%
I am certain that stat is incorrect, but let's say it is correct.. that's 4% who did. Therefore, it can be done with drive, will power and dedication.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Because;

- Rich people work harder

- Rich people reply to phone calls faster

- Rich people answer/reply emails faster

- Rich people tend to excercise more to stay healthier and spend less money on health care since they know that if they don't live healthy it will cost them more money.

- Rich people eat healthier to stay healthier to save cost.

- Rich people waste less money on late fees, and other fees that cost them money. Pay bills on time.

- Rich people tend to compare prices before buying items to save money.

Poor people overall don't do what is written above.

If poor people would try to do the same than they will end up with more money!
Many people do all those things and dont become rich..

Humorous piece of bs, kinda shows how vacuous and one dimensional rightwing thinking can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies