Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
You stated it's a choice. I pointed out that on average that people who do not graduate are the poor because they typically have to work more hours and have less time to study. Thus, if it is a choice to graduate they are making the wrong choice to pay for education, statistically speaking.

Sleeping 5 hours a night actually increases the risk of you not graduating. So even that choice leads to you not graduating.

So your option are a) don't go to college b) work a lot and get the required amount of rest and thus have little time to study c) work a lot and not sleep and thus not have the concentration to study...all of these choices lead to the same result. Of course there are exceptions. However, the rule still stands.

Statistically speaking, opportunities are not equal. Period.
So this means that being smart with spending, saving and running a business correctly and efficiently doesn't add up to having more money in your pocket? Really that was all that OP was saying and I don't know how anyone can argue with that. Maybe he shouldn't have chosen the words rich and poor. Or maybe that was by design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 11:37 AM

170 posts, read 129,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I disagree with you. Consequences fair and unfair follow the child. His parents were stupid and didnt save money the kid pays the price. The parents had 6 kids and couldnt afford even 1 the kid pays the price. Worse still the kid goes on to do the same exact thing his parents did. I look around me where I live. So many kids repeat the mistakes of thier parents. Its mind set.
I am white trailor trash and its ok because the government will pay me welfare.

It is about choices. Ignorance: When you know that there is a better way but refuse to change. My Grand fathers definition. He drilled it into us growing up.

Like I said it isnt the guy worth 10 million bucks opening the bars at 6am to get semi blasted to start his day.
What if your parents grew up poor because their parents were sharecroppers because their parents were slaves?

You may disagree or agree, but reality still stands. Let's also not forget that the poor typically do not have 6 children. 43% of welfare recipients had a single child in 1994. Current demographic projections do not really lend itself to more children and actually to a higher percentage of single children. A study did find higher household sizes and more income earners per household. Typically this means extended families and more children per household...but not per family unit (since a household can be made up of multiple family units).

It's not entirely mindset in the sense you think it is. If you see that crime pays more than education (more benefits for your work), then you will do that. If drug dealing is more profitable than getting an education, you will go into drug dealing. In middle class communities and upper class communities, there is more risk associated with such ventures. Thus, it is a better bet to get an education. It's about economics, not about ignorance.

In rural areas, teacher recruiting is VERY high because of turnover and lack of AP/IB classes. Teachers love teaching higher level classes, thus why it is hard to even get a foothold as a new teacher to these classes. You start off in poor districts and move on up. So turnover increases. Opportunities are a lot less to succeed.

Poverty is not only because of mindset. It's more complicated than simply wishing and working hard.

If you have equal opportunities and then squander it, I would wholeheartedly agree. It's simply not the case.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:39 AM

170 posts, read 129,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
So this means that being smart with spending, saving and running a business correctly and efficiently doesn't add up to having more money in your pocket? Really that was all that OP was saying and I don't know how anyone can argue with that. Maybe he shouldn't have chosen the words rich and poor. Or maybe that was by design.
With what capital? What credit? What investors with what connections? Last time I checked the poor lack many of these things. No it means that being rich enables you to become richer.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:43 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Wrong again. We DO have equal opportunities. This sounds like liberal nonsense. It is about how far people are willing to go in order to better their circumstances. The opportunities are out there for all citizens. Believing it, getting out there and striving for it is where the problems lie in people. And it IS about mentality. The harder someone feels they will have to work at it, the less likely they will, the more excuses they tend to make, and the blame gets put on those who happen to be achievers.
The opportunities are there, true. But some people have more road blocks then others.

And worse of all, some of those road blocks are put there intentionally or unintentionally by those who have the money. That is why we're having discussions on class disparity in these forums.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM

835 posts, read 1,041,250 times
Quote:

Poverty is not only because of mindset. It's more complicated than simply wishing and working hard.
This is all that needs to be said.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,366,918 times
Quote:
What if your parents grew up poor because their parents were sharecroppers because their parents were slaves?

You may disagree or agree, but reality still stands. Let's also not forget that the poor typically do not have 6 children. 43% of welfare recipients had a single child in 1994. Current demographic projections do not really lend itself to more children and actually to a higher percentage of single children. A study did find higher household sizes and more income earners per household. Typically this means extended families and more children per household...but not per family unit (since a household can be made up of multiple family units).

It's not entirely mindset in the sense you think it is. If you see that crime pays more than education (more benefits for your work), then you will do that. If drug dealing is more profitable than getting an education, you will go into drug dealing. In middle class communities and upper class communities, there is more risk associated with such ventures. Thus, it is a better bet to get an education. It's about economics, not about ignorance.

In rural areas, teacher recruiting is VERY high because of turnover and lack of AP/IB classes. Teachers love teaching higher level classes, thus why it is hard to even get a foothold as a new teacher to these classes. You start off in poor districts and move on up. So turnover increases. Opportunities are a lot less to succeed.

If you have equal opportunities and then squander it, I would wholeheartedly agree. It's simply not the case.
Crime pays more, so you will do that? Deal drugs over getting an education because it is more "profitable?" This sounds pretty idiotic. By this theory, you are proving it is a mindset. I would never deal drugs becasue it "pays" more...I would choose to invest in my future by learning something valuable.
You are basically saying that people cannot rise above their "lot in life," and that is a grievous error in thinking.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 AM

835 posts, read 1,041,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Crime pays more, so you will do that? Deal drugs over getting an education because it is more "profitable?" This sounds pretty idiotic. By this theory, you are proving it is a mindset. I would never deal drugs becasue it "pays" more...I would choose to invest in my future by learning something valuable.
I doubt you grew up in the same conditions as the kids who have gone down that path. That's why you won't understand. I have never dealt drugs myself but it's easier to say you would do something in a certain situation you never have been in.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:48 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

Mitt Romney gave away every penny of his inheritance. Every dime he has he has MADE himself. He would never say this. Mind you, I am no big Romney fan, but I give him credit where credit is due.

20yrisnBranson
Do you have a cite for that?

Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The opportunities are there, true. But some people have more road blocks then others.

And worse of all, some of those road blocks are put there intentionally or unintentionally by those who have the money. That is why we're having discussions on class disparity in these forums.
Ok, so let's just keep making excuses, blaming these roadblocks and others who are so determined to hinder another's growth, and while we're at it, let's also make sure that we make zero effort to remove said roadblocks, find a way around them, or heaven forbid, move them ourselves. I guess no one has any power over their own choices or decisions. Silly me, what have I been doing all of my life then, tearing down these misconceptions and rising above my own supposed limitations?
I figured it out. So can everyone else.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
I doubt you grew up in the same conditions as the kids who have gone down that path. That's why you won't understand. I have never dealt drugs myself but it's easier to say you would do something in a certain situation you never have been in.
Why are you assuming anything about me? Maybe I am just determined to not be a victim.
I have been in some very jacked up circumstances, and not once did I resort to crime. Ludicrous argument! Personal accountability should be a part of all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies