Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,114,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
- Rich people work harder
There are plenty of rich people who sit around all day and do nothing.

I don't think you know very many rich people. Either that, or you only see them on their days off or they're retired. Name me 3 rich people that you know that never work and never have.

- Rich people reply to phone calls faster

What does that have to do with being rich? I know plenty of poor people that reply to phone calls fast.

This is in regards to business phone calls and is absolutely true. For example, if you need an electrician and make some phone calls, you will more likely hire one of them that answers when you call or is prompt in replying to a message you left. Those that you have to call twice don't have as much business as the others.

- Rich people answer/reply emails faster
Same as with phone calls.

Yes it is.

- Rich people tend to excercise more to stay healthier
Wow, Chris Christie must be poorer than I thought.

The U.S. has an obesity problem that includes people in all walks of life, but the poor have a higher percentage of it.

- Rich people tend to compare prices before buying items to save money.
Wow, really? I remember I used to work at a night club and it was always the wealthy who came in there flashing stacks of money and buying up bottles without a care of the cost.

Most really wealthy people are smarter than that and don't flash stacks of money in a night club. That sounds more like poorer people that got a hold of some money. Most likely what you are looking at there is most of what they have altogether.

It's always the rich people going out buying plasma screen TVs and fancy cars. Rich people waste more money than poor people.

Not true. I know richer people that don't drive the fancy cars and poorer people that scrape by to make payments on such cars. The material things don't tell you their bank account looks like.

I see many problems with the things you posted and I'm not even poor.

What do you consider to be rich?

I am in pink today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:36 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,187,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Almost none, actually.
these articles would contradict that statement

Rags To Riches: 10 Self-Made CEOs Who Started With Nothing (PHOTOS)

25 Visionaries Who Created Empires From Virtually Nothing | Business Pundit (starting with Warren Buffet, of course).

From Poverty To Power: Celebrities Who Started With Nothing (I didn't read the whole article, I wonder if Dolly Parton was included).

Just google it for more....

20yrisnBranson

Old 07-10-2012, 10:37 AM

170 posts, read 129,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Class has nothing to do with money. I have known extremely economically disadvantaged people with a ton of class and wealthy people with no class at all. Need I say more than Britney Spears?

Romney was never a rags to riches story. He grew up in an environment of privilege, no doubt about that. However, if you are familiar with the story of John Barrymore and a gazillion other children of privilege who died alcoholics, drug abusers and penniless, it is obvious that is no guarantee of success or wealth. You have to have the drive, perseverance and motivation to succeed.

By giving away his inherited money, Mr. Romney proved to the world and himself that he had what it takes to make his own money his own way.

20yrsinBranson
You've never heard the term socio-economic class? Class is not only used to describe people as classy or not, but also to describe your economic standing.

He made his wealth before giving away his inheritance. Let's also remember that he didn't pay a dime for his education and used dad's connections to make it big.

Let's not turn him into a saint quite yet.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM

170 posts, read 129,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
these articles would contradict that statement

Rags To Riches: 10 Self-Made CEOs Who Started With Nothing (PHOTOS)

25 Visionaries Who Created Empires From Virtually Nothing | Business Pundit (starting with Warren Buffet, of course).

From Poverty To Power: Celebrities Who Started With Nothing (I didn't read the whole article, I wonder if Dolly Parton was included).

Just google it for more....

20yrisnBranson
You do know those are the exception, not the rule...

Old 07-10-2012, 10:40 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,257,804 times
I will never have 10+ million. I should make it to 2 million and I am over half way there inspite of Obama's policies.
I grew up on a poor dairy farm 40 milking head. No days off and long days every day except for sunday and holidays. Those days we just milked and cleaned barn.
My pay was $35.00 every 2 weeks. I learned to save and not waste. But I really learned the agony of the dollar. Call me cheap but I refuse to waste. Before I buy anything but food I ask myself how many hours do I have to work to pay for that.
When I buy something I buy quality. That means I seldom shop a walmart. I save for it, work over time for it. I never charge a toy on plastic unless I can pay it off that month.
No I am not rich. But I dont need any handouts and I'll die before I ever ask for one.
Poor people.
How many work 2 jobs? put even 10 dollars a week away for thier future? How many spend that 10 on lottery tickets and if they win buy a round for the bar?
How many keep having kids they can'r afford? They can afford their smokes, thier booze and their lottery tickets but birth control costs too much.

When I got out of the service I made $7500.00 that year in 1991. It sucked. 21 years later, hard work, determination and pure stick to it I have a good nest egg. It is possible. It is doable. But not if you convince yourself that you are a victim.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,270,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The OP has valid points. The rich people I know average 80+ hour work weeks. The eat healthier and here is a news flash, it doesnt cost a lot to eat healthy. It is a mind set. Look at how so many poor people live.
It's not the wealthy opening the bars at 6 am.
It's not the wealthy spending $20.00 at a clip on lottery tickets.
It's not the wealthy charging smack down pay per view on thier credit cards.
It's not the wealthy pumping out babies left and right. They plan thier families.
I know a guy worth about 10 million. LOL if he sees a penny on the ground he stops to pick it up. He has 4 different businesses and spends almost no time for himself. His last vacation was 3 years ago when I took him hunting in Wyoming with me.
Rich people tend to manage their money a whole lot smarter than poor people.
How many poor or middle class people did you use in your survey to come to this stunning conclusion?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,370,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
You do know those are the exception, not the rule...
Good grief! Again...it CAN be done. The point here is that rather than sit around and stay mired in a classic victim mentality, these folks actually did something about their circumstances. How about instead of just accepting, or blaming, or making excuses, we rise and make things happen for ourselves. Of course it is hard...so what? Is that a reason to not even try?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:47 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,787,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You should be ashamed. If this was an email I would put it in the SPAM folder.
LOL! Nice way to put it.

This seems to be the mantra of the right these days. The rich are smarter, more moral, and harder working than you, so they deserve their slice of the pizza and yours too. There is a shred of truth to this. Most of the wealthier folks work pretty hard, but the rewards are all out of wack.

The ratio of CEO to worker compensation: Are they worth it? | The Economist

In the USA, CEO salaries are 200-400 times that of a common worker. Are they 200 times are virtuous and hardworking?

Also, CEO salaries have increase at ~127 times that of the typical worker. Is that more evidence of their moral superiority?

What I read in these numbers is that the top 1% is fleecing the common person and has been for some time. Kind of a reverse Robin Hood situation. I am sure Romney will be fixing all this though...

Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,114,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post

He made his wealth before giving away his inheritance.
\

What's wrong with that? Is he suppose to be stupid and make himself dirt poor first in order for his huge donations to count? Does it help people more if he gives it all away and never has another dime to his name? Anyone that gives away all their money is certifiably crazy. This is the, well yes he gave money away, but he's evil because he still has some argument.

If I am ever rich I think charities will never get a dime from me. If I'm going to be hated either way then screw it, I'm keeping it all!!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 AM

835 posts, read 1,042,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I am in pink today.

When I was working in a night club it was the rich people coming in buying up all the bottles. It was a very high profile place, you would have celebrities and all sorts of people with money coming in. You would always have people in fancy suits and gator shoes. They were also very big tippers. That's all they did was flash money.

Believe me.... these people were far from poor.

My definition of rich is someone who has accumulated large amounts of money over the years and is pretty well off.

I grew up in a poor Newark,Nj neighborhood and I have done plenty of the things that the OP has listed. Yet, I'm now more of an upper middle class man. I don't think I will ever reach the status of a billionaire CEO.

When the word rich comes up, people think of a person with LARGE amounts of money. You don't become rich by doing the things on that list.

That's some of my beef with this thread. The OP makes it sound like you can go from wearing rags in the street to living in a multimillion dollar mansion just by doing things on that list.

Oh, and there are plenty of rich people that don't do anything. I have some in my family. I agree there are rich people who work from bottom to the top but that is not always the case.

If you are born into wealth there is not much you have to do to be wealthy.

I'm sure those people breaking their backs doing all that manual labor work just as hard as the person running the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies