Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Yes, you finally are getting it. You see, the rich are rich because it all fell out of the sky into their lap. The poor are poor because nothing ever fell out of the sky for them. That's all there is. May as well not try.
You're right. I see the light. Because nobody ever actually achieves wealth by going to school, working hard, making smart decisions, and watching their pennies. They find leprechauns or buy winning lottery tickets. Thank you for clearing this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 01:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No.

Because it takes money, to make money.

Period.
Did you actually think before you wrote that? As someone who started a company with my life savings of $10,000 and sold it ten years later with a total valuation of $5,000,000, I can tell you with absolute conviction that's not true.

What it took was a good idea, smart decisions, and several years of busting my ass. And I would pretty much deck anyone who told me to my face I got there by dumb luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,276,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK? View Post
What if your parents grew up poor because their parents were sharecroppers because their parents were slaves?

You may disagree or agree, but reality still stands. Let's also not forget that the poor typically do not have 6 children. 43% of welfare recipients had a single child in 1994. Current demographic projections do not really lend itself to more children and actually to a higher percentage of single children. A study did find higher household sizes and more income earners per household. Typically this means extended families and more children per household...but not per family unit (since a household can be made up of multiple family units).

It's not entirely mindset in the sense you think it is. If you see that crime pays more than education (more benefits for your work), then you will do that. If drug dealing is more profitable than getting an education, you will go into drug dealing. In middle class communities and upper class communities, there is more risk associated with such ventures. Thus, it is a better bet to get an education. It's about economics, not about ignorance.

In rural areas, teacher recruiting is VERY high because of turnover and lack of AP/IB classes. Teachers love teaching higher level classes, thus why it is hard to even get a foothold as a new teacher to these classes. You start off in poor districts and move on up. So turnover increases. Opportunities are a lot less to succeed.

Poverty is not only because of mindset. It's more complicated than simply wishing and working hard.

If you have equal opportunities and then squander it, I would wholeheartedly agree. It's simply not the case.
Except we see it all the time. Poor kids growing up and against all your odds and making it.
They all claim a fairly common formula to success.
My family 5 kids.. 4 of us grew and left the poverty behind. The fifth and eldest certainly could have but his priorities hold him back. His choice.
There is no doubt that the more money you family has the greater the odds are that you can succeed.
success is and always has been about mental attitude. How much are you willing to sacrifice to achieve your goals?
How much are you willing to swallow to achieve your goals?
Do your typical poor who finally win a couple hundred on their lottery ticket put that money in an IRA or a some other retirement acct? Do they invest it wisely?
Why do so many lottery winners who win the big one end up broke?? They lacked the disipline to control themselves.
But hey this is america. I am making it and so are my sisters and my younger brother. I know others as well. None of us were born rich or had daddy hand us the keys to the kingdom. It can happen and does. I wonder how hard I would have tried if I believed it when people constantly said it cant be done. Or when people said live a little you only live once. I lived and spent wisely.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,155,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Yes it is and it is true...just ask a person who is making more money how the handle their business and personal matters.

I'm not rich but I see a lot of people around me who act the same as what I describe under the "poor" or less off!

I reply fast, check my bank statements for fake fees, and in the last week saved myself over $ 100 in fees that shouldn't have been charged to me.

ATT charged me $ 53 dollars when I upgraded my phone instead of $ 28 activation fee and the "dumb" emplyee refunded me the full amount and forgot to charge the amount they were allowed to charge...lol

BoA charged our child a interest charge of close to $ 50 and when I called they admitted it was wrongly charged and probably because she got a new credit card ....

Many people never check their statements!

Many people we do business with are stating we are fast with responses and that is how we are growing our business by replying faster...

I heard on the radio about a person writing a book about this subject and I knew all along that this is true...just think about it and if you deny it you are probably not one of the people who are doing better or able to get further than others in life!
So I take it you you don't have the qualities you listed above.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,120,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I doubt if any of these apply to Alice Walton. A well known drunk and in the top 10 of the wealthiest persons in the U.S. She got her 21 billion the old fashioned way. She inherited it. She neither worked hard, or worked at all for that matter. I doubt if she has ever looked at bank statement.

Here is a wonderful mug shot of her healthy living habits.
This is for her DUI arrest.
What percentage of the wealthy are like her? What percentage of the rich even have a mugshot? How does it compare with the percentage of poor that have a mugshot?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
It is not a talent.

It is a learned and taught skill.

Period.

Human babies don't know how to do anything, in fact if left alone they simply die unlike many other species which have instinctive behaviors which take over.
Then why are so few capable of learning it?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I slogged through the first link, made a lot of money for the HuffPo, probably by clicking and clicking. All of those stories were very brief and many were short on details. In none of them did the person "work full time and go to college as well". In fact, several had scholarships, including one full-ride scholarship to Harvard. Some did start from nothing, or near nothing, but not all, or even most.

The second link had nothing to do with poor people; it even included John D. Rockefeller! It had to do with people who built businesses.

I'm not going to bother with the third; I'm not fond of celebreties.
You have to work damn hard to get a scholarship. That counts as work though you don't get paid to do that part. Scholarships do not fall out of the sky.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Because poor people are too busy trying to work to eat than reply back to an email
Even if the email or phone call is work related?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,480,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Please explain this, so that I don't continue to think it's BS.
Inner city schools that have terrible teachers and no AP courses for high school students. Or after school programs to keep kids out of trouble and out of gangs.

Poor areas that are ill served with access to mass transportation options. In my town, the poor are being pushed further and further out in to the suburbs because rental prices in the city are shooting up due to historically low vacancy rates. Right into areas where mass transport is being cut.

Welfare programs that are not gradient dependent on the recipients needs. IE, if you go get a job at McDonalds, you loose all public help. But you can't afford to work at McDonalds because you're making less money then on Welfare. Or you don't have a baby sitter.

These are just a few off the top of my head. You can argue with them somewhat, but to pretend that these sorts of roadblocks don't exist for some people is very head in the sand thinking.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
She never worked a day and she has 21 billion.

I find the worshipping of the rich by so many peasants fascinating. Many of the wealthiest people in the U.S. simply won the birth lottery and inherited their money. They did nothing special.
The vast majority of them did not inherit it. There will always be exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies