Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,226,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
I haven't either but I am fine with how things are now. I don't pay for insurance and I never will. I think a great start for an alternative is to simply get government out of healthcare as with everything else.
You don't pay for insurance because you're on disability, or so you've said here repeatedly. I pay for your insurance. I'm sure you ARE fine with things the way they are now, because you don't have to pay for squat. The rest of us work for a living to pay for your medicaid, instead of posting 24/7 on a message board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,704,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
They're all democrats in tough races in conservative districts, where the ACA might hurt them. They could safely vote to repeal because they know the Senate will never go the same way, and the bill would pass the House regardless of how they voted anyway. This way they can campaign in their district that they voted for repeal, knowing that the bill WON'T be repealed. I find it doubtful that their vote had much to do with their personal feelings on the legislation. It's unfortunately how the game is played. Both sides do it all the time.
You realize all five of these guys voted against the Affordable Care Act when it was being considered and every vote counted, right?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 AM

477 posts, read 366,403 times
Quote:
You don't pay for insurance because you're on disability, or so you've said here repeatedly. I pay for your insurance. I'm sure you ARE fine with things the way they are now, because you don't have to pay for squat. The rest of us work for a living to pay for your medicaid, instead of posting 24/7 on a message board.
I pay taxes as well so get off your high horse already. Oh and I don't post on here 24/7 I am on and off here maybe 2 hours a day...I have a wife and kids to take care of. Oh and there are several different variations of disabled. I can walk around my limbs all work etc...I will be back to work within a year or 2 and continue paying my portion of taxes to take care of my insurance.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:15 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,393,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Once again, repubs waste time and our money by voting on something that will never pass the Senate. Their uselessness continues. Time to vote them out.
Yes, vote out the obstructionist democrats in the Senate. The libs controlling the Senate will continue to refuse to vote on any Republican House bill as long as they are in control. The democrats are setting new levels of partisanship, and then talk out the other side of their mouth about how the House isn't being bi-partisan.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,393,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Focusing on the economy and jobs is WORK. It means they would have to come up with actual ideas. Just voting to repeal over and over and over and over and over again is so much easier than actually trying to solve problems.

Meanwhile, these repeated repeal votes have cost close to $50 million of taxpayer money. They needed to waste time and money voting on the same thing 33 times??? Where is this mythical fiscally responsible Republican party we always hear so much about?
They are doing their jobs, so they didn't "cost $50 million" that was already going to be spent, and much of the country wants it repealed so it wasn't wasted. Obamas proposed "budget" spends that much in less than 4 minutes and includes far more waste, I don't think spending some time trying to get rid of a bad bill that most people don't want is a waste. If the obstructionist democrats would get out of the way it wouldn't have taken 33 votes.

Do you complain about the $10 million Michelle has spent on vacations? Now THAT is a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,902,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
They are doing their jobs, so they didn't "cost $50 million" that was already going to be spent, and much of the country wants it repealed so it wasn't wasted.
Yes, it's wasted because nothing has changed since the 32nd time they wasted time voting to repeal it. We get it, they don't like it! How about they move on and try to tackle some of the other problems facing the country, like, say, jobs? Come on, 33 repetitive votes on the same issue, when they know that it will accomplish nothing? Is there NOTHING ELSE that needs attention?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,191,273 times
The Democrats that voted against repealing Obama-care are going to find themselves on the wrong side of history. The repeal had wide bipartisan support.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,226,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You realize all five of these guys voted against the Affordable Care Act when it was being considered and every vote counted, right?
In 1999, there was still a D majority in the House. The bill passed the house 220-215. Once again, D's in conservative districts were able to vote against the bill for the official record even if they might have supported it. Every vote doesn't count if you have a speaker who understands how to line up and count votes. All that matters is that you have enough firm votes to get to a majority to pass the bill. Legislators work out deals to vote against their party leadership all the time if it's going to hurt them with their voters back home, as long as there are enough votes to still get something through.

Nothing about Washington is a straight forward process.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,547,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Well... useless voting is what tax dollars are meant for. As for the OP... 34 house democrats had voted against ACA in 2010, but repeal got only 5 votes?

The more relevant question is, how many of the 34 were even around this week to vote on repeal?

Old 07-12-2012, 12:22 PM

11,763 posts, read 14,704,928 times
Quote:
In 1999, there was still a D majority in the House. The bill passed the house 220-215. Once again, D's in conservative districts were able to vote against the bill for the official record even if they might have supported it. Every vote doesn't count if you have a speaker who understands how to line up and count votes. All that matters is that you have enough firm votes to get to a majority to pass the bill. Legislators work out deals to vote against their party leadership all the time if it's going to hurt them with their voters back home, as long as there are enough votes to still get something through.

Nothing about Washington is a straight forward process.
Maybe you don't remember how hard they were fighting to get those last few votes. I just don't believe they were told that the administration was fine with them not voting for the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies