Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,333,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
All the talk prior to the vote was that the GOP was hoping for 30 or more Dems to vote with them. They were counting on Dems from districts where the ACA is unpopular in recent polling to vote for the repeal so they'd look better to the folks back home.

Didn't play out that way.
I wonder how many of that 25 will be re-elected. I think that not many will, but then, who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,458,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder how many of that 25 will be re-elected. I think that not many will, but then, who knows?

We'll all know in November.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:09 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,701,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
All the talk prior to the vote was that the GOP was hoping for 30 or more Dems to vote with them. They were counting on Dems from districts where the ACA is unpopular in recent polling to vote for the repeal so they'd look better to the folks back home.

Didn't play out that way.
Man, how dumb does a politician have to be to not go with the will of the 'folks back home'?

Those azzhats should be thrown out on their butts. And hopefully, will be.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 19,218,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
It's shameful we're the only industrial country that does not insure its people, and the appalling callousness of people who oppose everyone having some form of basic insurance really has me wondering whether this country is a nation at all.
Uh, the United States was never a nation at any time. Not now, not in the past, and highly unlikely that it ever will be in the future -- unless you're looking at 5-8 centuries from now, like the year 2525 or something. I'll be nice and explain what a nation is, since your unionized public school system failed you.

A nation is a people of common ancestry who:

1] have the same culture;
2] culture
3] speak the same language;
4] use the same alphabet;
5] worship the same god(s);
6] revere the same heroes;
7] cherish the same history;
8] celebrate the same holidays; and
9] share the same music, poetry, art and literature

The Cherokee are a Nation. So are the Lakota Sioux; the Olglala Sioux, the Miami, the Hopi, the Finns, the Lapps, the Norwegians, the Danes, the Swedes, the Germans, the Poles, the Scots, the Welsh, the Brits, the Irish, etc etc etc.

These countries are not nations:

United States
Belgium
Switzerland
Spain
Bosnia
Romania
Hungaria,
Moldova
Ukraine
Russia
Belarus
Every country in South America, and Asia, and many others.

Hopefully you won't make that mistake any more.

In spite of what you might think, no country on Earth insures it's people. Since your unionized public education system failed you there, too, I school you on what insurance is.

Black's: Insurance is a contract whereby for a stipulated consideration, one party undertakes to compensate the other for loss on a specific subject by specified perils.

What's the total loss for an insurance company on a $500,000 Life Insurance policy? $500,000. Nothing difficult about that.

What's the total loss for an insurance company on a $250,000 home-loss and $500,000 liability for an Home Insurance policy? That's easy: $750,000

What's the loss for an insurance company for a $30,000 auto, $25,000 in liability and $50,000 in property damage for an Auto Insurance policy? Doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar or "you-Harvard" to figure out that it is $105,000.

What's the loss for an insurance company for an health care plan?

You don't know. Neither does anyone else.

Insurance is about knowing ahead of time what the total damages are, and then assessing risk in order to obtain assets to cover the losses that are known in advance.

Educating...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
33rd time they've voted on a measure to repeal a part, or the whole thing.

How about focusing on the economy.
They are focusing on the economy. A tax increase by any other name, including Obamacare is still a tax increase.

Pointing out the obvious...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Are you serious? You really don't know?

It's a campaign ad. No more, no less.

Uh, DOH! OCare is a huge, huge part of the failed economy. It's one of the biggest reasons companies aren't hiring.

Man, it gets boring having to explain this stuff.
Don't I know.

It's been two years now since I first asked, and I'm still waiting for one of the brilliant *******s to explain exactly how much one employee will cost on January 1, 2014.

To date, not one ******* has even attempted to answer that (not that they could since no on Earth can answer that at the moment -- apparently we'll just have to wait until January 1, 2014 to see how much it will cost -- at that moment because the cost is sure to increase so long as H&HS keeps cranking out regulations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Voters already took responsibility through their elected officials, the destroy your country part grows tiresome, same arguments against social security and medicare.
Then show me how you intended to pay for Social Security, since you don't have the money -- and be very careful what you say unless you want to be embarrassingly debunked like everyone else that has tried.

When you get done with that, you can show how you intend to pay for Medicare, since you cannot pay for that either.

You must eliminate the cap on Social Security wages, and also raise the FICA tax rate, unless you want all Social Security recipients to take a 28%-30% cut in benefits starting 2023-2025 -- which I would point out is just about 12 years away.

You will also have to raise the SECA tax rate unless you want Medicare to collapse in your face.

And when you get done showing that --- and that's exactly what I mean -- show, don't tell --- show your math (like I do) and then explain how States are going to collect Sales Tax revenues on money flowing directly to the federal government.

Because when you raise the FICA and SECA tax rates, you're going to suck $Billions out of the economy represented $100s of Millions in losses of potential sales tax revenue to States, counties and cities.

And then on top of that, you have Obamacare which forces people against their will to purchase the Cadillac-bells-and-whistles-included health care plans, which will suck even more money out of your economy.

In case you didn't know, health care is not taxable, meaning you don't pay sales tax on visits to the doctor's office, although apparently you should.

And then of course, as the States, counties and cities are hemorrhaging money, they'll cut services right? Or raise your taxes, and that causes further harm and further job losses.

So keep on keeping on.

Rome wasn't destroyed in a day....

Mircea

Old 07-12-2012, 07:51 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,690,018 times
These guys aren't defectors. They all voted against the Affordable Care Act, they don't support the reelection of President Obama, they don't support other Democratic values, some of them have taken such anti-Democratic positions as opposing choice or supporting the balanced budget amendment.

They're not real Democrats.

Rational Resistance: Five Democrats to Vote Against

Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,698,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Don't I know.

It's been two years now since I first asked, and I'm still waiting for one of the brilliant *******s to explain exactly how much one employee will cost on January 1, 2014.

To date, not one ******* has even attempted to answer that (not that they could since no on Earth can answer that at the moment -- apparently we'll just have to wait until January 1, 2014 to see how much it will cost -- at that moment because the cost is sure to increase so long as H&HS keeps cranking out regulations).
Thanks to Obama's lack of leadership, lack of vision, lack of will, and lack of concern, we don't even know what our country's tax policy will be from one year to the next. This seems to be a common theme in the Obama admin, to keep the people in a constant state of confusion.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,690,018 times
Quote:
It's one of the biggest reasons companies aren't hiring.

Except it's not, and you conservatives are just making stuff up.

If the customers were there to buy stuff, businesses would be hiring even more people than they are now. Unfortunately, Republicans are doing everything they can to make sure that doesn't happen. Are they intentionally trying to kill the economy to help their election odds? I have no way of knowing, but the question cui bono? would tend to suggest that the answer is yes.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:38 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,895,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
33rd time they've voted on a measure to repeal a part, or the whole thing.

How about focusing on the economy.
Focusing on the economy and jobs is WORK. It means they would have to come up with actual ideas. Just voting to repeal over and over and over and over and over again is so much easier than actually trying to solve problems.

Meanwhile, these repeated repeal votes have cost close to $50 million of taxpayer money. They needed to waste time and money voting on the same thing 33 times??? Where is this mythical fiscally responsible Republican party we always hear so much about?

Old 07-12-2012, 09:35 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,458,555 times
Quote:
Man, how dumb does a politician have to be to not go with the will of the 'folks back home'?

Those azzhats should be thrown out on their butts. And hopefully, will be.

We'll know in November.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,222,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponDad View Post
Five Democrats side with Republicans to repeal Obamacare | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Ruh roh! Maybe we can get lucky and get a few democrats to side with republicans in the senate as well. If not there is always after November and they take back the senate I suppose....gonna have to have a good result bc Obama isn't going to sign it and it will need to over ride his veto.I like what the states are trying to do about it nullify the whole thing.
They're all democrats in tough races in conservative districts, where the ACA might hurt them. They could safely vote to repeal because they know the Senate will never go the same way, and the bill would pass the House regardless of how they voted anyway. This way they can campaign in their district that they voted for repeal, knowing that the bill WON'T be repealed. I find it doubtful that their vote had much to do with their personal feelings on the legislation. It's unfortunately how the game is played. Both sides do it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies