Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:44 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
You mean like a rental agreement or a service warranty? That's it?

Thanks for proving what the same-sex "marriage" agenda is really all about: reducing and degrading all marriages to the level of a financial transaction.
Heterosexuals have already degraded marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
"if the right to gay marriage is immoral..."

There is no "right" to marriage, and there is no "if" to homosexual behavior being immoral.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:56 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You point of concern fails vastly. This is because animals don't know how to sign a marriage license. Besides, are they including animals in legal marriages in the Scandinavian countries after same sex marriage over there has been legal for decades? The answer is NO!
I can't marry my cat?

I don't see why not - if we can redefine marriage to mean one thing - their really is no logical limit to what can be considered a marriage.

Marriage is defined - it is the union of a man and a woman.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
For all of you people who continuously go on about your "sacred institution", why don't you all run out and get rid your SECULAR marriage certificate and all that goes with it.

Keep YOUR marriage sacred, meaning belonging to the church.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:09 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
For all of you people who continuously go on about your "sacred institution", why don't you all run out and get rid your SECULAR marriage certificate and all that goes with it.

Keep YOUR marriage sacred, meaning belonging to the church.
I propose this solution all the time - and it is always rejected. There should be no government recognized marriage with special benefits - we should have contracts of comittment enforceable by the courts. If a church wants to call it marriage - they may. If anyone wants to call it marriage - they may. The government will not call it marriage - and won't grant "benefits" - it will be a civil contract and only the courts will have the power to enforce the terms of the contract.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:28 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I propose this solution all the time - and it is always rejected. There should be no government recognized marriage with special benefits - we should have contracts of comittment enforceable by the courts. If a church wants to call it marriage - they may. If anyone wants to call it marriage - they may. The government will not call it marriage - and won't grant "benefits" - it will be a civil contract and only the courts will have the power to enforce the terms of the contract.
I have said that's fine all along. But just try to get some of these others to give up their "sacred" secular marriages.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
You point of concern fails vastly. This is because animals don't know how to sign a marriage license. Besides, are they including animals in legal marriages in the Scandinavian countries after same sex marriage over there has been legal for decades? The answer is NO!
We are NOT a Scandanavian country.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
And they sure as hell don't help yours either
But it's true. I won't say it's a "horrible" argument; just a mediocre one. I personally think that if people are going to use morality to defend their opposition to homosexuality, they should be willing to be moral crusaders against all sexual immorality. But then that would probably expose their own hypocrisy.

You don't have to stretch your defense of gay marriage with corny arguments and comparisons that most of us can't relate to. The best defense, to me, is one that reminds opponents that they are most likely also hypocrites if the basis of their issues with homosexuality is in the "morality" of it. Heck, I was being "sexually immoral" with my lady just last night! How could I judge the sexual acts of others?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:06 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
A contract, yes, a marriage, no. Marriage should be more than JUST a contract.
A marriage is more than just a contract between the two persons in said marriage.

But as far as the government is concerned, the word "sacred" should be nowhere near it. Nothing should be "sacred" in law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Secular humanists would like you to believe otherwise in their attempts to reduce marriage to a piece of paper to be judged in a state court.
Either that, or "secular humanists" are using logic in the idea that religious marriage and secular marriage are two different things and should stay that way. You can be religiously married without having a secular marriage. You can have a secular marriage without it being religious.

The secular part of marriage is only to confer certain government benefits and protections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Very true, MOgal. But I think we really have to insist that marriage is more than a legal contract, period, and not merely for people of faith but for anyone who wants to be married. Natural marriage between non-Christians - whether made before a judge or the officials of their own religion - is not strictly sacramental but it is still a metaphysical reality, instituted by God (whether they acknowledge Him or not), first for the procreation and education of children, and second for the mystical union of man and woman in which "the two become one flesh".

The objective reality of marriage is prior to the state: it is something the state recognizes rather than defines. That the state has already degraded marriage by its liberal permission for divorce is not an excuse to degrade it still further!
If that's how you feel government should handle marriage, might I suggest to you a country that isn't secular?

Your particular flavour of religion should have no impact on a secular marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I can't marry my cat?

I don't see why not - if we can redefine marriage to mean one thing - their really is no logical limit to what can be considered a marriage.

Marriage is defined - it is the union of a man and a woman.
This argument again? When a cat is capable of going down to a bank and obtaining a mortgage, then we can discuss the cat signing the contract of marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
We are NOT a Scandanavian country.
True. We aren't. But we can look to other countries for examples. We can learn from their successes and failures and borrow ideas or reject ideas based upon how they fared in other civilized nations.

And in this case, they have same-sex marriage (and have had it a looong while) but haven't succumbed to marriages with animals.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times
Hey look.

Another thread full of cavemen waving their sticks at things that don't affect them.

Seriously, people. Gay Marriage isn't the end of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies