Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 03:00 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
Over the years I have had several neighbors with dogs that have literally affected my peace of mind to the degree that I sold a home and moved because I could not take the excessive barking anymore. I am currently living next to a fat lazy nut case who had 2 dogs when I moved next door to her. The first week I moved in I went over and politely asked her to control the excessive barking and she told me that they weren't used to anyone living next door and slammed the door in my face. I immediately realized that she, like a lot of ignorant dog owners was a nut case.

Because she was too fat a lazy to walk the dogs she seemed to think that throwing the dogs in the yard, leaving them and letting them howl and bark excessively, until I would tell the dogs to shut up, was ok. She would then put on this huge production (for my benefit) of talking to them as if they were babies by saying "mommy loves you", or be quiet babies" knowing damn well that the dogs were not used to, nor did they like to be outside after they had done their business.

I actually like animals (dogs included) it's the ignorant owners that I detest.
I completely agree. People are the problem. Excessive barking is against the law. If you live in a city, especially a liberal one, they are more likely to enforce those laws on your behalf. We used to have noise ordinances and something called "breach of the peace", they're probably still on the books. We never get rid of laws, we just add more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes but you should be extra glad that those neighbors didn't have kids -- unruly and spoiled kids can be a lot worse than any dogs.
True, but if the brats are locked out all night, we can call and have them taken away. Doesn't work that way with dogs, unfortunately.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Actually, I think it isn't just about children, as it is a reflection of an increasingly self-absorbed, narcissistic culture (aka, "it's all about ME!").

A lot of folks now are simply unable to sustain the demands of a human relationship anymore, of any sort (adult or child).... so what better companion than a creature that's totally dependent, gives you a regular oxytocin fix, has been bred to be sensitive to humans' every whim, you can project all your emotional needs onto them ("oh, Rex is my bestest friend and he really understands me!"), and that can't talk back?!

Frankly it would be pretty funny if it weren't so tragic. OK, now cue all the "you obviously don't like animals" nutters (BTW, I have several critters... and I don't confuse 'em with people).
There's no confusion, it's a preference!

Old 07-15-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I realize everyone should decide for themselves, but I also wonder why so many people never want to have kids, they never want a family and all that goes with it. It's a lot of fun being around kids, raising them. They're fun to go camping with, ride bikes with, and helping them grow up and become independent.

It's not as though you can't do a lot of those non-family things once the kids are grown -- like or not they will likely grow up and move away and then you have all the time in the world to do the non-kids kind of things. I know my dad got in some good traveling after we were all gone - but it seemed to be the thing he liked best was when we all got together and still did some family things.

And having pets or having children isn't the only two choices, you can have it all. Of course it's best if you like the family kinds of activities such as hiking, bike riding, camping -- but why do so many people think those are not a lot of fun?
People these days don't even want to commit to marriage, let alone the added responsibility of children. Men are no longer the stable breadwinner, head of the family, with the women staying home nurturing the children and providing emotional support for their husbands. Now they both are pursuing their own interests, their own careers, and trying to 'find themselves'. How do you raise children in a world where discipline is viewed as abuse and children can have you arrested for a slap, or worse they can lie and say you did something you didn't, and destroy everything you've ever worked for. Children have all the rights, while parental authority has been stripped. It's a different world and I think people are wise to hesitate before taking on the responsibility of parenthood. There is no turning back once you take the plunge. Plus, what will their opportunities be? This nation is on the road to serfdom, I don't think their futures look bright.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:43 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Both we, and the kids they never had, should be grateful for those that didn't/don't want them.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No, you don't get to blame him. She never gave any indication that she would harm her children, he had no way on knowing. She intentionally waited until he left for work that day, to do what she did. She thought she was sending them to heaven. She was crazy! end of story
Wrong! He KNEW she was suffering from depression...ALL he cared about was stickin' it in her and leaving her alone with the outcome. A DECENT loving partner couldn't help but see her mental condition AND get her help...he didn't.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
If people don't want to have kids, I think the very best thing in the world--for kids, and for the rest of us--is that they DON'T have them. We have enough bad parents running around already.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:45 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
What's going on here? It seems that Americans are actively, consciously, deliberately choosing pets over children. Make all the jokes you like, but it's no laughing matter when it comes to culture and demographics. The phenomenon is undoubtedly related to America's war against children - against their lives in the form of abortion; against their families in the form of promiscuity, co-habitation, divorce and homosexuality; and against their innocence in the form of our decadent popular culture. We want the companionship of dependent and sentient beings without the responsibility that comes with their being human.
It's far simpler.

They're expensive.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:19 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
No, you don't get to blame him. She never gave any indication that she would harm her children, he had no way on knowing. She intentionally waited until he left for work that day, to do what she did. She thought she was sending them to heaven. She was crazy! end of story
Yes, I can blame him. He knew her psychiatric history, which was quite severe, and was told not to leave her alone with the children by her doctor.....and he did it, anyway.

He was also told that she should not have anymore children, yet he impregnated her again, anyway.

In no uncertain terms she was mentally ill.....he wasn't.....it was up to him to see that she and the children were safe and cared for......he didn't. He went against the doctors advice twice......he is to blame.....he certainly isn't an innocent victim.

You can't blame Andrea for being a victim of mental illness, but you can blame Rusty for not taking heed.

Andrea Yates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Her first psychiatrist, Dr. Eileen Starbranch, testified that she urged the couple not to have more children, as it would "guarantee future psychotic depression". They conceived their fifth and final child approximately 7 weeks after her discharge
Quote:
Yates continued under Dr. Saeed's care until June 20, 2001, when Rusty left for work, leaving her alone to watch the children against Dr. Saeed's instructions to supervise her around the clock.
Read the whole article.....and you tell me......would you have left the children alone with her?

There are good reasons for not having more children than you can handle.....and some people should never have children at all.

Last edited by Annie53; 07-15-2012 at 06:27 AM..

Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, I can blame him. He knew her psychiatric history, which was quite severe, and was told not to leave her alone with the children by her doctor.....and he did it, anyway.

He was also told that she should not have anymore children, yet he impregnated her again, anyway.

In no uncertain terms she was mentally ill.....he wasn't.....it was up to him to see that she and the children were safe and cared for......he didn't. He went against the doctors advice twice......he is to blame.....he certainly isn't an innocent victim.

You can't blame Andrea for being a victim of mental illness, but you can blame Rusty for not taking heed.

Andrea Yates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the whole article.....and you tell me......would you have left the children alone with her?

There are good reasons for not having more children than you can handle.....and some people should never have children at all.
He wasn't really leaving her alone with those kids. She pretended at times to love those kids -- she was only supposed to be alone with them for about 30 minutes until his mother would come to take care of them.

She knew she had 30 minutes to kill them all and so she did. There is no way her husband could have seen that coming -- that 30 minutes alone with her own kids would induce her to chase them all down to drown them.

And why isn't the same thing when men kill their kids? Why aren't they given all this sympathy when they murder their children in cold blood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies