Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 01:27 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,542,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Lame job of pinning this on the GOP, really lame.
It's your paranoia...I did not DIRECTLY blame anyone...just the rhetoric of hate and intolerance expoused by most GOP politicians to appease the Tea Party knuckle draggers and many preachers trying to gain power over others.

Apparently you missed the GOP presidential nominee debates...does not surprise me you probably miss quite a lot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 AM

78,518 posts, read 60,702,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
People care about all kinds of issues. They use this forum to rant about the issues they care most about that. It's mostly Obama-haters who start the threads here.
True, because he is president. We had to suffer through all the Bush threads prior to 2008. What can I say, lots of people get "presidential derangement syndrome".

Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 AM

Pitts, I posted earlier to this thread and you didn't comment so let me direct a specific question at you.
(If you look at my posts regarding gays you will see I am not a hater on the topic, quite the opposite.)

The FBI crime stats show a HUGE disparity of black males vs. gays (not lesbians) hate crimes. I know that since there is a poverty correlation that accounts for some of it but I'd like to clearly point out that there is a strong anti-gay culture in parts of the US. (religious and so forth). Perhaps another part of the disparity is that gays will cluster in urban locations and urban centers have different ethnic mixes and thus gays come in contact with blacks at a higher rate than just looking at the US population %'s on average.

Heck, even the NBA has been running PSA's about using the word "gay" as an insult. (Grant Hill is in it)
The commisisoner of the NBA has been levying HUGE fines on guys for anti-gay comments and slurs too.

I'm just wondering what the gay community thinks about this. I know that being the subject of bigotry can make someone extremely sensitive to touch any topic where an ethnic group might be more likely to attack gays but I look around and there seems to be some efforts to address this problem although couched in generalities. (I mean come on....when the NBA is trying to address it, consider it's fan base.)

Some gay posters have made some comments towards this topic, curious to hear more.

Best of luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 AM

Side note, they are charging 3 young men in Chicago for the death of a 60ish yo Mexican immigrant. Guy was on disibility, he gathered cans for recycling to help make ends meet. They knocked him out while filming with a phone, he broke his skull on the ground and died.

They posted it to facebook.

The puncher in question had gang tats (was 18 or younger) and a tat on his hands that said something like "fk you pay me"...nice kids.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
It gets me so mad.

This is what happens when GOP politicians incite intolerance and indirectly violence against LGBT youth and people......essentially encouraging and condoning this behavior with their lies and hateful rhetoric.
unbelievable.

four black guys beat the tar out of another [gay] black guy, and who does pittsie blame?

the GOP

Old 07-17-2012, 07:44 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,689,670 times
Why is this news? The four attackers involved were brought to justice and sentenced because of their crime. Case closed. I do agree websites like the one mentioned should be shut down for the obvious promotion of violent acts such as this one, but at the same time this incident has NOTHING to do with the GOP or some radical anti-gay minister in the south. Separate issues.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,917,271 times
Quote:
It's your paranoia...I did not DIRECTLY blame anyone...just the rhetoric of hate and intolerance expoused by most GOP politicians to appease the Tea Party knuckle draggers and many preachers trying to gain power over others.

Apparently you missed the GOP presidential nominee debates...does not surprise me you probably miss quite a lot!
Look at your status....

Then look at the videos you posted....

It doesn't have to be EXPLICITLY stated because it's already implied.

Now, as a clear as a day liberal, will you be calling for the extreme hate crime enhancement against these fine, upstanding black men??

Old 07-17-2012, 01:29 PM

Pitts, I don't support ANY anti-gay rhetoric and we all know the religious right does it and is heavily tied to the GOP.

However, if we look at the numbers....

FBI — Table 5

So in 2010 there were 357 hate crimes on gay men by whites and hispanics.....and 199 by blacks. Adjusting for hispanics as part of the population then the number of hate crimes by blacks and whites is getting perilously close to one another.

This certainly doesn't absolve anyone else for hateful incitement but is this news to you or are you reluctant to discuss this reality because it diverges from your political views?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:08 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,517,613 times
Quote:

Sounds like you're paranoid. Never said you blamed directly or indirectly, either way you did blame the GOP.... just own the lame blame.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,793,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That preacher guy is just a nutjob.

Sorta like those underwear stains westboro baptist church.

Westboro Baptist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Maybe these bogus churches need a class action lawsuit from the first child who gets beaten. They're trolling for someone crazy enough to do their dirty work for them. Wannabe Charles Mansons corrupting religion. It's sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies