Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times

Advertisements

I don't think it would be too big of a deal to require everyone who wants to purchase a gun to be required to have a mental health screening. It is quite possible that we could identify some of the deranged people purchasing guns and reduce the possibility of what happened in Colorado from happening again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Everyone who posts in a forum that "everyone wanting to buy a gun should be required to have a mental health screening" should be required to have a mental health screening.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't think it would be too big of a deal to require everyone who wants to purchase a gun to be required to have a mental health screening. It is quite possible that we could identify some of the deranged people purchasing guns and reduce the possibility of what happened in Colorado from happening again.
Mental Illness And Gun Ownership | Second Amendment | Guns & Ammo | Page 2

Old 07-20-2012, 02:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Everyone who proposes new gun control regulations should be required to have a mental health screening.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
I don't think it would be too big of a deal to require everyone who wants to purchase a gun to be required to have a mental health screening.

Yes, it would be a "big deal".

The young man in Colorado? He was of sound mind - I doubt ... no, I know, a mental exam would not have identified him as anything else (I make this statement based on everything I've heard today on the news).

Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
and who would do the screenings? some antigun psychiatrist who thinks they are doing the world a favor by preventing people from buying guns? and who sets the standard? and what part of "shall not be infringed" do people not understand? a criminal background check is fine, and even a mental health background check is fine, but to require someone to go through an evaluation before buying a firearm infringes on the right to keep and bear arms.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
And who or what would this mental health criteria be based upon?

What would be the disqualifying indicators?

Who pays for the screening?

What would be the appeals process for an adverse determination?

Who pays for that?

Would depression cause a disqualification? How about PTSD?

What are the privacy rights guarantees?

The idea is to find REASONABLE and RATIONAL gun measures not unthought through ideas that are alleged to have popped up in the mind.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:42 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
They already do that in NJ. You release your medical records to the police and FBI.

This guy was an honor student. Maybe all honor students who want guns should be especially scrutinized, heh?

The media is an iisue as it promotes copycat crimes. Used to be some crazy stayed under his bedcovers and thought he was the only one who felt that way. Now his weird lfestyle and ideas are validated.

Anyone against firearm education in schools is irresponsible. Edu would go a long way to prevent some incidents.

It is a frightening strategy to think that the focus should be on firearms. If all the firearms were to disapper tomorrow, you can still buy gasoline and bomb components to do far more damage than one crazed gunman. So we have to look deeper than just the implements.

What is even more insane is any feeling of safety after more restrictive gun laws are passed. The gangs and other criminals simply don't subscribe to the latest feel good laws. Net result, no change.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
From what i've seen and read about the guy he was well educated,not known to police,neighbors said he was normal.
I think he would have passed a mental health test..

Old 07-20-2012, 02:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It wouldn't do anything. People can go crazy at any point in their lives, even after they have been gun owners for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies