Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Outside of the fact that they might be too busy dealing with the problem as it exists, your question might be more appropriately answered by asking your question on a forum where there are significant numbers of black women? Just a thought.

(always puzzles me why people raise these questions on predominately white discussion forums when there are plenty of forums that African Americans actually frequent)
I was just about to make this point. Other than calipoppy, natalyjones, myself, maybe you (I vaguely recall you mentioning a wife, but I could be wrong), and maybe 2-3 others, there aren't a lot of black women posting regularly on C-D, especially on the P&OC forum. Who knows how many married black women will ever see this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
There appears to be lobby groups set up for almost every political, religious and/or social group, but I haven't been able to identify one single group that lobby's on behalf of the vitality and upward mobility of black American women.
Perhaps, but I think it's just the opposite. Just about everyone has been victimizing the choices that many of these women make rather than to hold them accountable for them. As long as people are chanting that their circumstances are everyone elses fault but their own, don't expect a change any time soon.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
Quote:
As I've already mentioned, there's a number of black women who are members of this forum.
Who?

ATTENTION BLACK WOMEN OF CITY DATA!!! ROLL CALL!!! Present yourself!!

Eevee, here and present!

I honestly think there are less than 12 total who are fairly regular members and not just drive-by posters.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:51 AM

160 posts, read 265,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Perhaps, but I think it's just the opposite. Just about everyone has been victimizing the choices that many of these women make rather than to hold them accountable for them. As long as people are chanting that their circumstances are everyone elses fault but their own, don't expect a change any time soon.
I'm just surprised that no lobby group was created to address this issue. There appears to be a serious need for a platform which highlights the child rearing experiences of black married women.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Who?

ATTENTION BLACK WOMEN OF CITY DATA!!! ROLL CALL!!! Present yourself!!

Eevee, here and present!

I honestly think there are less than 12 total who are fairly regular members and not just drive-by posters.
Anyone is free to partake in the discussion, but I'm surprised that you are commenting, since you have made it clear that you don't really view marriage as important.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:56 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
I'm just surprised that no lobby group was created to address this issue. There appears to be a serious need for a platform which highlights the child rearing experiences of black married women.
Who knows, there might be. Usually big lobbys have corporate sponsors but I'm sure there are major advocates out there for them, but from what I can tell usually these supporters tend to victimize rather than preach accountability.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Who knows, there might be. Usually big lobbys have corporate sponsors but I'm sure there are major advocates out there for them, but from what I can tell usually these supporters tend to victimize rather than preach accountability.
I conducted a quick google search and I couldn't find one lobby group. I do think society/government in general tends to encourage people to view themselves as helpless victims. This in itself, helps ensure that people are unable to resolve their own problems.

It's quite telling that every time someone speaks out against single motherhood, there are hundreds of positive pro-single mom voices. Where is the balance? Rarely are there any dissenting voices, especially when it concerns black women.

Last edited by MaryMary2012; 07-22-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 12:03 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:
I simply do not understand why there hasn't been a political platform set up to address the pervasive issue of single motherhood amongst black women. Black women should not wait for the government to save them. Surely, if that were going to happen, it would have already taken place. More, simply need to organize around this platform and reach out to the masses of young black women who are being socially conditioned to accept the notion that raising children alone, without a father's involvement is fine.

When in fact:

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health - NBCNews.com

I just do not forsee any changes occuring, until black women collectively organize, to address this issue. I can't however understand why so many of us continue to sing the praises of black single motherhood, when it's a well known fact that black children (as an aggregate group) are not thriving under these circumstances.
As a black woman, I understand and share your concerns. But, sadly, on this forum, this topic will only become another opportunity to bash black women and the "black community" in general. I agree with Ovcatto. Another venue would probably yield more constructive responses. Of course, I could be wrong. This could be a rare exception.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
Black women (and women in general now, illegitimacy is rapidly increasing in all races) need to do a better job in selecting quality, family oriented men. Sorry these aren't going to usually be the sexy ones. There was a Beyonce/Destiny's Child song about a decade ago called "Soldier". As long as women like the kind of men described in that song we will only have "baby daddies" not real fathers.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
I simply do not understand why there hasn't been a political platform set up to address the pervasive issue of single motherhood amongst black women. Black women should not wait for the government to save them. Surely, if that were going to happen, it would have already taken place. More, simply need to organize around this platform and reach out to the masses of young black women who are being socially conditioned to accept the notion that raising children alone, without a father's involvement is fine.

When in fact:

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health - NBCNews.com

I just do not forsee any changes occuring, until black women collectively organize, to address this issue. I can't however understand why so many of us continue to sing the praises of black single motherhood, when it's a well known fact that black children (as an aggregate group) are not thriving under these circumstances.

There is a new movement for (Black) women to reclaim our collective dignity called "No Wedding No Womb" (there was was a very long thread on No Wedding No Womb a few months ago in which many posters of various races were pushing back quite strongly against the idea that baby should come after the wedding ring....ETA the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...t-wedlock.html)

No Wedding, No Womb!

From the sites FAQs

What Is No Wedding No Womb?
No Wedding No Womb is a primary call directed to the black community to take action against the rampant births of children who are born without physical, financial and emotional protection. Â It is a call for accountability for both MEN and WOMEN to be mindful of the huge responsibility and privilege they have when bringing a child into the world.

Then there is Marry Your "Baby Daddy/Baby Mama" Day

MYBDD™ Online - Turning moms and dads into husbands and wives one household at a time...

From the website...

Marry Your Baby Daddy Day™ held its first landmark wedding on September 29, 2005 in New York City to much media fan fare. It's an "all expenses paid" wedding extravaganza, celebrity wedding dress designers, vendors and
wedding planners come on board to make this a memorable and important moment in the lives of some very fabulous, loving couples.

Maryann Reid, author and founder of MYBDD™ says, "This event is about taking your relationship to the next level for all the couples who are ready to do so in front of friends and family. And when they do, the children turn out to be the real winners."

Described as everything from a "contest" to a "dream come true" Marry Your Baby Daddy Day™ is an effort to strengthen 2-parent homes and promote marriage and family values. It's an invitation to couples who already live together and want to jump the broom in the name of love and their community.

We always hear about "baby mama drama" but we rarely, if ever, hear about those who actually love the mother/father of their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies