Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times

Advertisements

I'm all for making prisons absolutely miserable places, Hell on Earth, in particular for violent criminals. That being said I'm against prison rape for many reasons. First, it shows that the prisoners run the asylum. Prison guards should be in such complete control that prisoners are constantly on their best behavior and wouldn't dare rape a fellow inmate.

My next problem is the mentality of the prison rapist. He uses rape as a quest for power and dominance (and he's also in deep denial of his homosexuality). No prisoner should be dominant, he is ward of the state. That's why I think it's important to harshly punish prison rapists. Prison guards should be able to painfully humiliate the prison rapist in front of other inmates. Put on a real show. This would show the prison rapist that he is not the dominant alpha male he thinks he is but a lowly prisoner who must submit to every whim of the prison guard.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:16 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I'm all for making prisons absolutely miserable places, Hell on Earth, in particular for violent criminals. That being said I'm against prison rape for many reasons. First, it shows that the prisoners run the asylum. Prison guards should be in such complete control that prisoners are constantly on their best behavior and wouldn't dare rape a fellow inmate.

My next problem is the mentality of the prison rapist. He uses rape as a quest for power and dominance (and he's also in deep denial of his homosexuality). No prisoner should be dominant, he is ward of the state. That's why I think it's important to harshly punish prison rapists. Prison guards should be able to painfully humiliate the prison rapist in front of other inmates. Put on a real show. This would show the prison rapist that he is not the dominant alpha male he thinks he is but a lowly prisoner who must submit to every whim of the prison guard.
Guards often engage in prison rape.

Give anyone absolute power over other human beings and they will often abuse it.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:53 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Not thousands. Hundreds of thousands. The earlier estimate of ~13% is laughable. Try 50%. Over 300K men are raped in prison a year. 200 plus thousand women are raped... even if you assume that a lot of women don't report their rapes (neither do men) America is the only country in the world where more men are raped than women. The guards are doing a lot of the raping so don't factor them in as part of a solution to the problem.

H
Thanks for the facts!!

Disgusting, just sick.

And a lot of sick Amerit**ds think that it is A-ok that violent cons are "dispensing justice" in prison.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
A guy who grew up on my street went to prision for some kind of trouble and was raped . After he got out he got into a fistfight with someone at a party at his house then went into his bedroom and shot himself. He told someone that he thought he killed the guy (he didn't, just knocked him out cold) and didn't want to go back to jail. I think he was 22 when it happened.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:18 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
Ironic, since you have no problem with men raping other men, which is a crime in itself.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
I agree with this. It really wouldn't take much to help eliminate this problem. For example, help/call buttons could be installed on bunks, and random night rounds could be established with COs shining lights into cells. In addition, there could be harsh penalties for those found guilty of preying on fellow inmates. For those with long sentences and little to lose, privileges could be taken away.

For those people who think that convicted criminals get what they deserve, we should remember prison's aims for rehabilitation. How does subjecting someone to repeated rape and assault serve to rehabilitate him or her? And, as someone mentioned upthread, many assaults occur in jails where people who can't afford bail are awaiting trial. No one deserves to be raped--the "cruel and unusual punishment" clause of the Bill of Rights applies to everyone, including those convicted of crimes.
Exactly.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:48 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAYAYO View Post
This is a pressing issue because millions of women are becoming HIV positive because of it being ignored, most of these women black. Many children are being born HIV positive because of it.

It's an easy fix too. Test every inmate and put all the HIV guys together, have HIV and non HIV pods and yards in prison, bada boom bada bing, problem solved and it would be cheap and easy, especially considering most prisons are privatized and they are making a killing off incarcerating people, but that's a completely different topic.
But they'd have to test more than once as an inmate who came in HIV negative might not be that way six months from now.

As for the black women; yes I too agree that is a pressing issue but in general black women need to practice safer sex. I'd wager that the percentage of women married to men who were in prison (prior to them going to prison) are a lot smaller than those who are just sexually involved with them. Can't depend on the corrections system to protect you; you need to learn how to do it yourself. Testing is available on the outside too.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post

A lot of the problem is the leisure time that prisoners have. They live as they live in prison because they have nothing to do with their time. Bringing back chain gangs would help a lot, the prisoners should have to work so hard, they'd be too exhausted for anything else.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:04 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times
So now we should shed a tear for the prisoner who is raped in prison?? Hate to blame the victim here, but when you go to prison s**t happens. Best deterrent for not being raped in prison is simple: DON'T GO TO PRISON!!!! But since we have become the type of society where we spend more money on correctional facilities as opposed to our educational, health care, or care for the elderly by all means spend billions of taxpayer dollars to find a solution for the problem.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Shrug. I have little sympathy for those in prison. Most are there for victimizing others. Some might say it is karma.
People who have not committed crimes of physical violence against another should not be mixed in with those who have. There are enough in each group to keep them segregated. Also, we have stopped, as far as I know, all pretense of rehabilitation. Those who have the best chances of success should have programs available to turn their lives around.

Last edited by goldengrain; 07-23-2012 at 07:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies