Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
To your list I will add:

Tattoos
No lie.... LOL I see kids with babies using food stamps and sporting a brand new tat all the time. That barb wire tat would have bout some food, clothes or been nice in a retirement acct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Chiel, I am not smart. I am at best average. I also worked 2 jobs. Lets face it there wasn't a big demand for a sniper in the civilian market. Thats what I faced when I left the military. I delivered Pizza at night and hung sheet rock by day. It sucked. We had a 19 inch TV forever. I made a mistake. I got it from a rent to own place and paid way way to much by the end.
People are being dumbed down by big brother. It used to be common sense not to finance toys. It used to be common sense to save even your pennies.
Now its charge that DVD player. Charge that DVD. Charhe that Nintendo Wii.
Am I to feel sorry for them? I actually do, but buying their way out for them solves nothing, it only encourages more of the same.
I should get $2600 a month according to my latest SS statement. I'll be able to live on that because I have no mortgage and I am frugal.
The fact is I also have a damned good retirement account. Why? Because I never trust Big Gov to do the right thing.
I bought Gold and have it in 2 countries. Why? Because Uncle sam = politicians. Politicians= profesional liars who also tnd to be very dishonest in other ways.
I dont hate those who didnt plan. I simply dont feel like I owe them a living either.
People are being dumbed down, not because of "big brother", but because it's easier for them.
They can't see (or were never taught) that there are consequences to their actions.

You're not paying for their "living" - they'll get social security commensurate with their earnings and deposits.
What are you being forced to do?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM

30,904 posts, read 37,008,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think there are too many people with kids who do early retirement.
That's true. But there aren't too many people without kids who do early retirement, either. Maybe more, but not nearly as many as there could be.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,351,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

To your list I will add:

Tattoos

You're right... deforming and mutilating one's body is in vogue today.
I wonder how much one pays for that.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,053,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No lie.... LOL I see kids with babies using food stamps and sporting a brand new tat all the time. That barb wire tat would have bout some food, clothes or been nice in a retirement acct.
I'm not a big fan of tatoos, but in all seriousness, how much does a tatoo cost? A hundred bucks? A few hundred?

This constant drumbeat about how people are struggling because of cell phones and TV's now ......tatoos...the numbers don't add up. I know it makes people feel better about themselves talking about how others waste money, but the decline of the middle class in the US has little or nothing to do with cell phones,TVs, or EVEN tattoos!! . It has everything to do with outsourcing, downsizing, real wages, health care costs, college tuition, and property taxes. My father was able to buy a house with no college education. My mom didn't have to work, we had new cars every 5 years, cable TV, pay for some state college for us,and he was able to retire with a pension..in a private company!! That's the America of 40 years ago.

But you guys can keep patting yourselves on the back because you didn't pay $200 for a tatoo. It's completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but it makes you feel smart.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not a big fan of tatoos, but in all seriousness, how much does a tatoo cost? A hundred bucks? A few hundred?

This constant drumbeat about how people are struggling because of cell phones and TV's now ......tatoos...the numbers don't add up. I know it makes people feel better about themselves talking about how others waste money, but the decline of the middle class in the US has little or nothing to do with cell phones,TVs, or EVEN tattoos!! . It has everything to do with outsourcing, downsizing, real wages, health care costs, college tuition, and property taxes. My father was able to buy a house with no college education. My mom didn't have to work, we had new cars every 5 years, cable TV, pay for some state college for us,and he was able to retire with a pension..in a private company!! That's the America of 40 years ago.

But you guys can keep patting yourselves on the back because you didn't pay $200 for a tatoo. It's completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but it makes you feel smart.
But societies change, sometimes for the better, other times for the worse.
Those that saw this coming and got their financial house in order are not doing too bad.
Others ? They are sitting around saying "Where's my job dude ?"

What have you done since 2007 ? Most people are just sitting and waiting for the good times to come back. What if they don't ? What is their plan B ?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So hatred is moral? Who knew.

There's no proof for invisible sky daddies.
If there were, I'm sure you'd post it.
Otherwise it's just a fig newton of your hallucinations.
I am not a fan of King's Highway's brand of religion. But I will say that religion can, and often does give people a value system and the discipline needed for financial prosperity. Most of the world's major religions frown upon or prohibit things such as:

--Excessive alcohol consumption and drug use/smoking
--Having kids without being married (a major financial killer)
--Divorce and maintaining good relationships (Divorce is another major financial killer)

Psychologists are finding that those who attend religious services regularly tend to be healthier and happier (although they can't pinpoint all of the reasons for that). But being happier and healthier generally helps people to earn an income, save money, etc.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:02 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/op...etirement.html

How is this country supposed to deal with these peoples mismanagement of their lives? This is going to have dramatic effects on a ton of things
Looking on the bright side at least we'll get social security...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,128,627 times
People act like if being irresponsible with money is some new phenomenon. It's been happening since the beginning of human history. The internet just gave people an anonymous mask to wear so they get on their soapboxs and preach and look down at folks.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not true. Here's some stats for you:
Most Workers Do Not Review 401(k)-Related Education Materials
• More than half (52 percent) say they don’t have the time, interest or knowledge to manage their 401(k) portfolio properly.
• Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) spend less than eight hours per year managing their 401(k) plan account.
• Many (56 percent) do not review plan-related education materials they receive.
• Nearly one-third don’t know that they pay fees for their 401(k) plan. Of the 70 percent that understand they pay some sort of fees, 95 percent don’t know about investment fund operating expenses and 67 percent don’t know about plan administration fees.
• [A significant majority (83 percent) say they are interested in receiving professional investment management from their employer. However, this interest does not translate into action; Schwab data shows just one in 10 participants takes advantage of 401(k) investment management advice when it is offered.
I don't think there's any disagreement. Financial education should be MANDATORY in the schools. And employers should require at least some financial education as part of employee orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies