Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times

Advertisements

The past 2 years, at least, has been about class war.

As the debt grows and revenue shrinks expect to see more of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,474,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The past 2 years, at least, has been about class war.

As the debt grows and revenue shrinks expect to see more of it.
Yup, and thank a Republican once again. Obama has tried (rather meekly) to extend aid to the states to prevent the massive layoffs of public officials, but Republicans blocked him.

Gov't unemployment is down by 600,000+ jobs; mostly state and local. At least Obama tried to prevent these layoffs.

As Wall St ****s us over and gets billions of taxypayers' money, who gets fired? Teachers, policemen, firefighters, etc.

Makes perfect sense to a sick bastard (I'm am not calling you one, but venting).

Old 07-25-2012, 12:15 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,094,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Please explain what Obama plan you are talking about and then how your tax burden would go up under the Obama plan if you are in the middle class.

It seems like, based on your second paragraph, that you are in favor of a tax increase for the middle class, which of course is the Republican position. Raising taxes on the middle class is an attack on the middle class. IMO. You have sympathy for the wealthy yacht owners, but none for the middle class guy busting his but for 50 hrs a weak trying to put food on the table.

It is class warfare by the rich on the Poor and middle class americans. I am not saying that all wealthy people hate the poor and the middle class, but it is based on greed to try to push more of the tax burden down.
I consider myself middle class, and the Obama plan to rais taxes on family incomes >250k would hit me.
I am not in favor of a tax increase for anyone. However, one group should not be singled out to help pay for the debts of others. Raising taxes on the middle class is not an attack, if they are the ones using services provided by the Govt. There are no free rides. I am not for tax increase, but certainly don't consider it fair for letting people off the hook for paying income taxes for services simply becasue it makes life tough. I would suggest we have a Govt that is better stewards of our money, or eliminate programs.

The comment about class warfare by the rich is simply silly. Again, answer me, if my income tax rate is >30%, and others are less than 15% why in the world should I pay more, and why shouldn't the folks paying less than 15% pay more if we use equal Govt. services. If I object to this progressive model, I am being labeled as someone who has class war fare. What I object too is that there are no adults at the table, having serious objective fiscal discussions.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM

89,325 posts, read 45,057,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Yup, and thank a Republican once again. Obama has tried (rather meekly) to extend aid to the states to prevent the massive layoffs of public officials, but Republicans blocked him.
Ask Wisconsin how that turned out. Last I heard, the Wisconsin taxpayers voted for Walker (R) TWICE, once in the original election and then again in the Dems' vindictive recall election.

You forget that state and local public employees' salaries and benefits are PAID for by state and local taxpayers. They have RESOUNDINGLY voted that they CANNOT afford to pay for public employees' bloated salaries and benefits.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Ask Wisconsin how that turned out. Last I heard, the Wisconsin taxpayers voted for Walker (R) TWICE, once in the original election and then again in the Dems' vindictive recall election.

You forget that state and local public employees' salaries and benefits are PAID for by state and local taxpayers. They have RESOUNDINGLY voted that they CANNOT afford to pay for public employees' bloated salaries and benefits.
Then all those red states wouldn't mind sending all the blue states a check for all the years that they have been supporting deadbeat Republicans?

I am all for state's right. Leave the union. I wouldn't think twice about it. In fact, I will throw a parade.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,971,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I consider myself middle class, and the Obama plan to rais taxes on family incomes >250k would hit me.
I am not in favor of a tax increase for anyone. However, one group should not be singled out to help pay for the debts of others. Raising taxes on the middle class is not an attack, if they are the ones using services provided by the Govt. There are no free rides. I am not for tax increase, but certainly don't consider it fair for letting people off the hook for paying income taxes for services simply becasue it makes life tough. I would suggest we have a Govt that is better stewards of our money, or eliminate programs.

The comment about class warfare by the rich is simply silly. Again, answer me, if my income tax rate is >30%, and others are less than 15% why in the world should I pay more, and why shouldn't the folks paying less than 15% pay more if we use equal Govt. services. If I object to this progressive model, I am being labeled as someone who has class war fare. What I object too is that there are no adults at the table, having serious objective fiscal discussions.
IF you pay more than 30%, why are you not upset at those paying only 15% who are on the extremely wealthy end. For most of the very wealthy, capital gains is their sole income so they pay half as much as a percentage than you do. Why are you not angry about that. Instead of focusing on how much less the very wealthy pay, your focus is on the poor and the lower middle class. Seems a little backward doesn't it?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,983,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post

First, I think you are ignoring that these are marginal rates. If your income is $250,001/year, you pay the same rates as someone who makes $50,000 on your first $50,000. The additional tax is only on that income above $250,000. In this case, you would pay a higher rate on $1.

Why this is fair is because the burden is not linear. While $1,000 is 10% to someone earning $10,000 and $1,000,000 s 10% to someone earning $10,000,000, $1,000 is more significant to the first person than a million to the second -- the first would be hardshipped to loss that $1,000 while the second would not feel it at all. That's the basis for the progressive tax system that you apparently reject.

Second, we should tax the rich more because that's where the money is and compared to the times when rates were higher on wealth, we had robust economies then.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 PM

89,325 posts, read 45,057,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Then all those red states wouldn't mind sending all the blue states a check for all the years that they have been supporting deadbeat Republicans?
Actually, even in the red states, they're supporting deadbeat Democrats...
Super-Economy: Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican?
Cites sources.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,094,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
IF you pay more than 30%, why are you not upset at those paying only 15% who are on the extremely wealthy end. For most of the very wealthy, capital gains is their sole income so they pay half as much as a percentage than you do. Why are you not angry about that. Instead of focusing on how much less the very wealthy pay, your focus is on the poor and the lower middle class. Seems a little backward doesn't it?
No not really. I consider investment income (taxed at 15%) income gained from taking a risk, and willing to loose money. This can provide capital to businesses, and in turn help create jobs. I am fine with investments being taxed at 15%. If someone is living off investments, than their is a good chance their total tax contribution to services recieved is pretty high.

I have more of a problem in excess use of services and not paying anything for them. I would be open to exhempting those is dire financial situations, but when almost half of wage earners pay no income tax, their is a problem.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, even in the red states, they're supporting deadbeat Democrats...
Super-Economy: Are Welfare Recipients mostly Republican?
Cites sources.
Yeah...a blog....yawn. RW love their esoteric blogs.

Why are you defending your position? I am one of the few liberal that respects limited government and state's right and would love to see red states secede from the union. I support your right to secession. In fact, I find it to be your patriotic duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies