Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
He purchased all his guns while he was in college....purchased an assault rifle after he failed an exam.

It's not ridiculous to consider.

They give much more than is needed to pay for books and tuition + study tools as it is.

Edit: Sorry most of his guns
Sorry, but you're wrong. I take it you've never paid for grad school? My husband has a JD (he's an attorney--it's a juris doctorate or doctor of law) vs. a PhD (doctor of philosophy--Holmes was getting his doctor of philosophy in neurosciences), but the tuition for both aren't all that different. We paid about $25,000 a year for tuition alone for law school for three years, and that didn't include books and housing. His books were almost 2K a year. The federal grant that Holmes received (only one of six awarded nationally in that field) would have probably covered most or all of his tuition, and possibly some of his books--I didn't check tuition costs in colorado--but it wouldn't have touched his living expenses. It's not more than is needed--it was a full or nearly full ride tuition scholarship, and he would have had to pay or borrow money about the same amount of money on top of it to cover living expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Generally, hard science PhD students pay no tuition, get free health care from the university, and receive a yearly living stipend in the 20-30K range.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Generally, hard science PhD students pay no tuition, get free health care from the university, and receive a yearly living stipend in the 20-30K range.
That's how it works for their 5 to 8 years of suffering...

Full tuition, usually a stipend to the tune of $1800 to $2500 per month depending on what year they are in, they get raises as their knowledge level and abilities grow. That comes out to about $13 to $17 an hour. They spend 25 to 35 hours a week working for their supervisor usually either a professor, ADB or post-doc candidate who is doing a research grant. Kind of like an intern, I have heard of them working 60 plus when school is not in though.

Academics

60 semester hours plus an exam or project for a masters...
Another 90 hours plus phd exam, and dissertation/research grant/project for phd.

It's extremely challenging and one of the reasons we have a huge research lead in the world.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no. the $26K is purely a salary stipend. it's not used for equipment purchases. he wasn't working with hummingbirds; that was his undergrad project at UC riverside.

it's gravy, as i defined it above.

James Holmes reportedly known as "dolt" as intern, calling into question academic credentials
Food, clothing and shelter are not "gravy". You surely have seen the pictures of his apt. building, very modest, to say the least.

As far as someone calling his academic credentials into question, you will note that in that link no one from either his graduate nor undergraduate programs said that. One of the people quoted is from Baylor U., far from either Riverside or Aurora. It is also untrue that he failed his exams in June. In fact, I heard someone from CU say that they try very hard to keep all their students and would have given him help to stay in the program. This was on some local (Colorado) news program. If the U of CO thought he was capable of being a PhD student in neuroscience, he was capable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Well, it's not quite like that. When my DH did his PhD in physics, admittedly a long time ago, he was a teaching assistant for a couple of years, then a research assistant. In other words, he wasn't getting any stipend; he worked for that money. He also did not get free health care.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Liberal logic= If righties think people should pay for their own education they hate education.

Liberal logic= The amount of money spent equates directly to a higher level of education.

In the 50's government grants if they even did exist for higher education, weren't nearly as prevelant as today. Yet for some strange reason, America had the largest numbers of engineers and scientists in the world, and people in general were smarter and more educated.
Conservative "logic"= The world today is exaclty the same as the 1950's.

See, in the 1950's people could actually work their way through college....now, the costs are so high that's nearly impossible.

If you now earn enough to pay your way through college you could just quit college and work at the job you have that pays so much it could put you through college....

(and I don't believe all of you who will claim you just graduated from college debt free.)

Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
(and I don't believe all of you who will claim you just graduated from college debt free.)
I graduated college with about 20k in loans in 2006. I paid half of it off in a year and paying the rest off in monthly increments (I consolidated the loans from my first 3 years before starting my senior year into one loan with a fixed interest rate of 2.375% - so I look at it basically as free money).

Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
It's very possible that that money indirectly purchased his weaponry. When I was in college I didnt have a pot to **** in, all my money went to housing and tuition. Weapons are expensive. Had he not gotten this federal grant money , he may not have been able to afford weaponry. Thanks obama!

James Holmes Received $26K Grant From Bethesda-Based National Institutes of Health « CBS DC

You're pathetic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies