Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:28 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Are you afraid to answer?
I know if I post it here, it will be ripped to shreds by the many here that simply love doing it for sport. That's not fear.

I know the answer. I live by it.

Why be judgmental towards those that do not answer demands for an 'answer'?

The 'answer' is clearly different for every person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 05:31 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
I know if I post it here, it will be ripped to shreds by the many here that simply love doing it for sport. That's not fear.

I know the answer. I live by it.

Why be judgmental towards those that do not answer demands for an 'answer'?

The 'answer' is clearly different for every person.
No one's values has been ripped to shreds here. What thread are you reading?

Apparently you fear what other people might think of what you hold dear.

Hmph.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-28-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 07-28-2012, 05:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
Chick Fil A family meals I guess meets the stereotype.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 2,140 times
1. Dad puts on his dinner jacket.
2. The family sitting around the dinner table.
3. The family reciting memory verses out of the 1611 King James Bible.
4. The dad leading the family in reciting the Lord's Prayer.
5. The dad leading the family in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in front of the American Flag.
6. Kids are in bed at 8pm after doing their homework lessons given by mom through their Bob Jones homeschool lessons.
7. Dad changes into his sweater, house slippers, and reads the paper while sitting in his favorite easy chair while mom sits by knitting.
8. On Saturday afternoons, the dad's 17 year old daughter must bring her "date" to sit on the front porch where they are not allowed to hold hands.
9. The daughter's date will have a flat top hair cut, a tie, trousers, and a smell of Brut cologne and be willing to shoot the breeze with dad..

Old 08-27-2012, 02:54 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Default What ARE traditional, family values?

If you need to ask you probably grew up in a dysfunctional family.

I have a friend whose mother was a sex addict. She found safety at her girlfriends' homes and today thanks those parents for helping her when she came home and her mother wasn't there off with another man or at the bars.

Thankfully most know what family values are but maybe (probably, if things don't change) in the future less and less will be raised in good homes and will need to ask.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I was raised:

1. To respect others.
2. To love my family members.
3. To appreciate the gift that an education is.
4. To work to get the things I want.
5. To keep myself and my surroundings clean.
6. To be polite to my elders, and courteous to people no matter what the situation.

The respect that I was taught to have for others was regardless of what religion they might practice, or the color of their skin, or if they were rich or poor, or whatever characteristics they might have. The respect was accorded because they were fellow human beings. The respect was automatic, and while respect could be lost for someone based on their actions, respect for others was rooted in respect for myself.

Love for family members has to be valued, because it is with the people closest to us where we are often our very worst selves. And when people are bickering, and arguing, and behaving badly, love has to be present to keep the bonds between us strong and enduring.

Education is a legacy. Great people, great thinkers, have left behind a legacy for all of us today. The discoveries and lessons learned by earlier generations allow us to venture further, to push the boundaries of knowledge, and to pass what we learn on to future generations. And education should embrace all kinds of knowledge. All the arts and disciplines have something of value that enriches our own lives.

Working to get things I want isn't just about fulfilling materialistic desires. When you work to achieve your goals, you add value to those goals. Appreciating the work involved leads to taking care of the things you have. And when you value yourself and your own efforts, the idea of cheating becomes repulsive, as cheating and stealing don't add any value, they actually diminish the value of the things you desire and aspire to.

My grandmother was raised in a wealthy family, but raised her own family in poverty. She instilled the value in all her children that cleanliness wasn't just a value, but it was about being of quality. A dirty house wasn't just dirty, a dirty house was lived in by people who didn't care. Careless people. My grandmother's children might have worn hand-me-downs, but the hand-me-downs were clean and pressed. The floors were scrubbed and swept. The dishes cleaned and put away. The beds made each morning, the sheets changed each week, rugs beaten and left in the sun to "cure". Because my grandmother did not raise careless children.

I was taught that good manners weren't about knowing which fork to use, or about anything that had to do with being exclusive. Good manners were about making others feel appreciated. You opened the door for your elders because people who are older have earned that courtesy. You don't point out others shortcomings, because it makes others feel bad about themselves. You do everything possible to make your guests feel welcome. Because manners and etiquette aren't about distinguishing between the classes, about excluding people. The whole point of manners and etiquette is about including people, about making people MORE comfortable, not uncomfortable.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:34 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
1. Honesty
2. Responsibility
3. Morality
4. Work Ethic
5. Respect
6. Tolerance

Old 06-14-2019, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 324 times
Default All but #5.

[quote=WesternPilgrim;25374727]Now that's more like it.

1. Marriage. The indissoluble covenant between one man and one woman for life.

2. Children. A culture that fosters the spiritual, moral, cultural and intellectual development of children and protects their innocence.

3. Sanctity of Life. Reverence and respect for all human life from conception to natural death.

4. Extended Family and Community. God's built-in social "safety net".

5. The Catholic Faith. Only Catholic Christianity consistently opposes divorce, abortion, contraception, materialism, consumerism, and all the enemies of the family in its teaching.[/QU

I agree with all but #5. Where Catholics go wrong is the put the pope on a pedestal to the point of idolization of a man. They also do not believe that we cannot be free from sin, thereby they never truly attempt to be free from sin, and go in a merry-go-round confession cycle every week. This is not how it is supposed to be.

I absolutely love how you worded the first 4 points, and these are all possible when we live our lives centered around Biblical virtues, and make Christ our authority, rather than a man in a fancy outfit.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
1) Don't be a dick to other people

That's it.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
How does a 7 year old thread come out of the woodwork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies