Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Imagine the freedom of being able to concentrate on smoking crack and engaging in unprotected sex knowing that should the need arise one is covered and will be treated no matter what.

What a concept!

I hope you get help with your crack addiction. I am all for free healthcare to treat that. It is money well spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When watching the ceremonies and the part that paid tribute to the childrens hospital i mentioned to the wife that the righties will be howling about this piece tomorrow and here we are and the righties are howling,
just hate that socialized healthcare
just hate those unionized workers
just hate the fact that taxes have to pay for the system
just hate a government that institutes such a system
Just hate the opening ceremonies
Just another topic the righties can foam at the mouth about.
I was in the kitchen and overheard the announcer when this segment came on. I was thinking the exact same thing, but I was also thinking about how shameful it is that while the Brits celebrate their system of healthcare for all, we have a fasction in the USA that condemn it. Sad.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:58 AM

441 posts, read 501,431 times
The ceremony was beautiful and great theatre. I guess for people who aren't familiar with theatre and prefer military parades, it must have been incomprehensible. The hospital scene connected with the celebration of British authors' extraordinary works for kids and, in particular, Peter Pan. J.M. Barrie left the rights to Peter Pan to the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children.

In Britain, conservatives support the National Health Service as much as liberals (Labour) do. It isn't even vaguely controversial - Brits are very proud of it. David Cameron has spoken movingly of his experiences with the NHS because of his seriously disabled son Ivan - who died a couple of years ago.

A couple of the examples shown (how Britain was an agrarian society and the Industrial Revolution changed all that, turning Britain into the most powerful country in the world (the U.S. in its day..), may not be familiar in the U.S. - but should be, I can remember studying the Industrial Revolution (and found it depressing) in my Texas schooldays.

I thought the underlying theme of the ceremony - the respect for human rights and freedom (maybe a bit of nose-thumbing at Beijing?) was well-done.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:00 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
The ceremony was beautiful and great theatre. I guess for people who aren't familiar with theatre and prefer military parades, it must have been incomprehensible. The hospital scene connected with the celebration of British authors' extraordinary works for kids and, in particular, Peter Pan. J.M. Barrie left the rights to Peter Pan to the Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children.

In Britain, conservatives support the National Health Service as much as liberals (Labour) do. It isn't even vaguely controversial - Brits are very proud of it. David Cameron has spoken movingly of his experiences with the NHS because of his seriously disabled son Ivan - who died a couple of years ago.

I thought the underlying theme of the ceremony - the respect for human rights and freedom (maybe a bit of nose-thumbing at Beijing?) was well-done.
Rep to you

I like that they added touches of humor. Made it very human indeed.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:07 PM

441 posts, read 501,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Rep to you

I like that they added touches of humor. Made it very human indeed.
I thought the Queen, Daniel Craig and the corgis were adorable! What a good sport, she is.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Please know that not everyone here finds the idea of national healthcare objectionable. There are many Americans who agree with you 100% on this point. The problem is there is a brick wall in Congress known as the Tea Party that absolutely refuses to let us move out of the 19th century.
National Health Care has not been brought forward by either party for anyone to be against it.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic View Post
I thought the Queen, Daniel Craig and the corgis were adorable! What a good sport, she is.
The bit with the Queen was great. I loved her jumping out of the plane. LOL. She seems like a good sport.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:37 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
i thought that the opening ceremony was just crazy bad, not because it was political but because it was so over-the-top messy and disorganized.

i can't imagine how much that cost, but i am sure that it could have been done a lot better. the only halfway decent parts were the british music section segment and the lighting of the torch. (which they should have put more into, because britain has given the world a lot of great music). i am also surprised that they didn't put something more into the harry potter theme, since that has generated so much revenue for britain and it is so well-loved.

i couldn't even even stay awake for the arrival of the US athletes, and only made it to trinidad. (i tried, though ) i love the part where you get to watch your country's athletes get recognized by the crowd for all their hard work and dedication. i don't know if it was me or not, but i couldn't see or hear the reaction of the crowd to the arrival of the various athletes.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The NHS is not a political matter in the UK. All political parties support it.

I doubt that the organizers really cared or gave any thoughts to the sensibilities of American conservatives
Why do you think that is? Just like social security and medicare/medicaid in the states it would be political suicide to actually oppose it. I mean the other side would immediatly start calling you a baby killer and hater of old people and on and on. Hell they do that now if anyone even hints about trying to fix the damn problem to begin with. That is why the can is kicked down the road heading right for the cliff at the end.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:49 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I hope you get help with your crack addiction. I am all for free healthcare to treat that. It is money well spent.
Then you spend it don't make me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies