Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
California is the most liberal, illegal immigrants and welfare recipients than any other state. Kind of like Britain.
Yes and much of the problem is that our government is importing massive amounts of poverty from third world regions and not doing anything for the American citizen poor.

The only real way out of poverty is jobs -- welfare handouts don't do it the trick. We seem not to care that a whole lot of American youth especially inner city American youth are finding difficulties in getting employment, and meanwhile they're passing out work visas to foreign youth like crazy. A million new work visas to foreign youth while our own face a very uncertain future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 10:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The tour our Irish friend did of California along the north end of the coast highway...Is the same one I took as a young man 40 years ago...It was strikingly beautiful- the small towns he describes were not slums full of drunks and methadrine addicts...They were sweet simple towns of plain good people- It was comfortable and safe...not once did I notice human degradation or suffering...I guess things may have changed....if so - I am so sorry- That area of the world was as close to heaven as I have ever been.
Amazing what another 40 years of the Great Society along with California's liberal policies "accomplished".

When you toured California the governor of the state was Ronald Reagan.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
OP I think the word you want is 'depradation,' not 'depravation.'

Depravation=state of depravity, such as sexual depravity.
Depradation=state of ruin, collapse, destruction

Sad to see what has happened to the once-great Brit education system that produced so many brilliant scholars, writers, and thinkers. This is what happens after decades of liberalism.

OTOH you probably would have encountered both on a vacation trip to California.
How exactly have they had more "decades of liberalism" than we have? And speaking of "liberal," why do we finish behind a bunch of liberal countries in education?

Ooops...there goes one more generalization straight into the toilet.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
This debate is a doube-edged sword. Britain also pays more in foreign aid than most of Europe. Alot of this is tied to contract procurement. But I have to confess when I see that India is pusuing a nuclear program and 5-6 year old children are allowed to trawl through raw sewage for pitiful wages it makes me very uneasy.

No to slave labour. But more of a not in our own back yard approach to economics and Britain is equallly culpable.
Kids playing in sewage is happening in the USA also. Right near where I live in fact.

Slum lords make a lot of money with third world immigrants who of course cannot afford the high cost of living here until they start getting welfare handouts like food stamps and WIC and housing vouchers. We have what are called "colonias" where people will live in a shack or broken down trailer with no running water or septic system. One landlord was renting completely crappy old trailers without any septic system, the plumbing was just to the ground and a pond of sewage where young children would play and splash.

Everytime the government comes along and fixes up one colonia with lots of tax dollars, another ten spring up just as bad as the first. Some will explain that we need all this dirt cheap labor pouring over the borders, some want to provide the whole over 2 billion impoverished with a nice comfortable American lifestyle, even if it means very high unemployment and taxes for Americans.

A great deal of our poverty is imported and as the needs of the imported poor are so high, they come before our American poor. In California you will see Americans even our veterans living in tents, but the illegals are living in government housing because we try to be so very generous.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If that's the case, it sounds like the US has alot in common with the UK.

The number of Brits that leave the UK seeking a better life far outweigh the number of Americans that leave America. Most Brits that leave the UK for a better life tend to end up living the rest of their life outside the UK. The majority of Americans do not stay outside the US for very long and at some point go back to the US to live their life out.

I know a woman from the UK who told me that the UK has a problem with gypsies. Apparently at a certain time of the year they set up camp across from her farm. It's the only time of the year that she has to do a head count of her sheep every morning!!!
Yeah well they have a program called 'Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' in America too so that phenomena isn't really an entirely English one. Alot of them are Romany gypsies or Irish travellers.

As for more Brits leaving the UK more British people have passports so it is hardly a surprise. Only one third of Americans even hold a passport. In Britain approximately 70.1% of the population holds a passport.

So as a consequence it's hard to gauge how many Americans would leave if they wanted to and how many are constrained by economic circumstances. It's a big wide world, culture, climate and lifestyle are different for everyone but I've known many people leave only to return to Britain and there is also far more people coming into Britain from the outside world than choosing to leave.

Many British people have to move to Spain or mainland Europe to move to a warmer climate whereas New Yorkers and Americans tend to migrate to places like Florida. Apples, oranges etc.....

Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How exactly have they had more "decades of liberalism" than we have? And speaking of "liberal," why do we finish behind a bunch of liberal countries in education?

Ooops...there goes one more generalization straight into the toilet.
One theory is this, from:

Morality And Inequality

International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences | 2008 | 700+ words | COPYRIGHT 2008 Thomson Gale. (Hide copyright information)Copyright
OPPOSITIONAL CULTURE THEORY

"When explaining educational inequality, consider the “culture of poverty†thesis that argued that the poor, and therefore minorities, had a flawed culture characterized by a propensity toward violence, lack of deferred gratification and general immorality. As Oscar Lewis pointed out in 1966, the relative educational failure of these groups was seen as inevitable because of their immoral culture, regardless of exposure to greater educational and occupational opportunity. This highly individualistic view of educational inequality was refined in the 1970s with the development of oppositional culture theory. As laid out by John U. Ogbu in 1978, this theory argues that involuntary minorities, or racial groups incorporated as a result of slavery, colonization, or conquest—such as blacks, Mexicans, Native Americans and Puerto Ricans—perceive limited occupational opportunity relative to whites. This promotes pessimism and resistance to school values: Schooling is associated with whiteness and is therefore viewed as inappropriate for these minorities. Oppositional culture theory assumes that high-achieving individuals are put-down, or sanctioned, by their minority peers when they achieve school success (Fordham and Ogbu 1986)."

I believe we have more involuntary minorities than most nations whose education scores are higher than ours.

Factor out the scores of the involuntary minorities and we are pretty high up on test scores measuring education.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:59 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
The world is about to change. The safety net is fading away with the economy.

I've noticed gypsies around here say there parents were hippies to explain their eccentricities. You know when your'e talking to a gypsy, because they can't listen and do their own thing.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Yeah well they have a program called 'Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' in America too so that phenomena isn't really an entirely English one. Alot of them are Romany gypsies or Irish travellers.

As for more Brits leaving the UK more British people have passports so it is hardly a surprise. Only one third of Americans even hold a passport. In Britain approximately 70.1% of the population holds a passport.

So as a consequence it's hard to gauge how many Americans would leave if they wanted to and how many are constrained by economic circumstances. It's a big wide world, culture, climate and lifestyle are different for everyone but I've known many people leave only to return to Britain and there is also far more people coming into Britain from the outside world than choosing to leave.

Many British people have to move to Spain or mainland Europe to move to a warmer climate whereas New Yorkers and Americans tend to migrate to places like Florida. Apples, oranges etc.....

Old 07-29-2012, 11:01 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Sounds like you were in California. Yes, California is a national disgrace. You should have come to Texas.
Except the thing about Texas (I live here also) is that nobody will show you Laredo or the Rio Grande Valley because guess what? They are poorer than those areas in California. Since they are 200 miles away from the nearest large city, they are also very easy to hide and ignore.

I've been to Indian reservations and would argue the poverty in Texas towns such as Weslaco, Mercedes, Rio Grande City and many others is just as bad, if not worse. It is most certainly amongst the worst in the United States.

The main "national disgrace" in our fine state of Texas is the politicians. I'm sure the OP has seen Perry, thanks to the political process here.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
I've always noticed San Francisco is incredibly cool and clean.

The rest of the Bay Area is like a third world country.
You don't even have a clue as to what you're talking about.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kids playing in sewage is happening in the USA also. Right near where I live in fact.

Slum lords make a lot of money with third world immigrants who of course cannot afford the high cost of living here until they start getting welfare handouts like food stamps and WIC and housing vouchers. We have what are called "colonias" where people will live in a shack or broken down trailer with no running water or septic system. One landlord was renting completely crappy old trailers without any septic system, the plumbing was just to the ground and a pond of sewage where young children would play and splash.

Everytime the government comes along and fixes up one colonia with lots of tax dollars, another ten spring up just as bad as the first. Some will explain that we need all this dirt cheap labor pouring over the borders, some want to provide the whole over 2 billion impoverished with a nice comfortable American lifestyle, even if it means very high unemployment and taxes for Americans.

A great deal of our poverty is imported and as the needs of the imported poor are so high, they come before our American poor. In California you will see Americans even our veterans living in tents, but the illegals are living in government housing because we try to be so very generous.
That sounds horrific. The trouble is there is no turning back the clock. As long as cheap, poorly paid, poorly treated immigrants are used as a stick to beat the blue collar/lower-middle class and serve as nothing more than whipping boys to stir up resentment for poor Americans on the one hand and poor immigrants on the other it seems there will be very little political will for change.

My area of London is changing all the time. It isn't just America. I very seldom walk down the road without passing a group of East Europeans, Somalians or Asians. How this impacts on infrastructure is my major and primary concern but sadly it is not a pressing issue of concern for the multi-national corporations that tend to fund the political class both sides of the Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies