Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Democratic Party to add gay marriage to platform | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Well can't blame them for passing up a chance to further pervert Amerika.
Might as well draw up clear battle lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Might as well draw up clear battle lines.
Yep, it shows which side actually believes in the phrase liberty, and justice for ALL

Old 08-05-2012, 04:45 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Marriage was a Biblical covenant long before it became a civil contract.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,392,148 times
I don't get the Right's hangups about what two consenting adults do in their bedroom. And I really don't get why they want to deny said adults the same rights that they (the Right) currently enjoy.

But then again, this is a movement that wants to cut Social Security and Medicaid...but also wants to hold on to their own benefits at all costs. This is a movement that calls itself Christian, yet hates the underprivileged and poor, contrary to Christ's message. This is a movement that acts like the perpetual victim, yet cheers when the REAL victims are persecuted.

This is the mentality of wanting to take full advantage of society, and not let others do the same. Climbing the ladder of social mobility, and then kicking it down so that others cannot make that same climb. Disgusting, but that's the Right for you.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:58 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Marriage was a Biblical covenant long before it became a civil contract.
No. Civil contracts existed long before the Bible. Remember, the Bible was not written that long ago.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancap View Post
Democratic Party to add gay marriage to platform | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Well can't blame them for passing up a chance to further pervert Amerika.
They're simply supporting their constituency. It's what they're supposed to do.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
No. Civil contracts existed long before the Bible. Remember, the Bible was not written that long ago.

Moses wrote the first 5 books of the Bible, plus testimonies of the patriarchs. These were passed down as oral tradition before then. Please cite the beginning of written civil contracts prior to then please. Thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post

I will stand my ground. How long ago was the first MARRIAGE contract written? Can anyone answer my question?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
I will stand my ground. How long ago was the first MARRIAGE contract written? Can anyone answer my question?
I dont think marriage contracts were "written" as much as they were an oral agreement between tribes or families.

The Code of Hammurabi, from ancient Babylon, has written laws on dowry payments for marriage, which I guess could be the first written contract law on marriage. Either way, the concept of marriage as a "contract" between families has existed for a long, long time, probably pre-dating recorded history.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I dont think marriage contracts were "written" as much as they were an oral agreement between tribes or families.

The Code of Hammurabi, from ancient Babylon, has written laws on dowry payments for marriage, which I guess could be the first written contract law on marriage. Either way, the concept of marriage as a "contract" between families has existed for a long, long time, probably pre-dating recorded history.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies