Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:52 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It's the path we take in life and our choices in life in most cases and both can work long hours
I suspect that the most overworked are the people who run their own businesses, although any job that requires you to supervise somebody else while maintaining that posture of feigned self-effacement that characterizes life on the bottom rungs of the corprate ladder would be almost as rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 03:53 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I think this is one of the fundamental differences between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans feel sorry for rich people. Republicans think that the rich deserve everything they have, because they worked harder than other people to get it. Democrats feel sorry for poor people. Democrats think that poor people work just as hard, and in many cases harder, than rich people, but that rich people got lucky.

Personally i tend to side with the Dems on this issue... i'm sure the CEO making $500,000 a year works long hours, but so does the single mother doing a minimum wage job trying to feed her kids. I think a lot of Americans work very hard and deserve to be wealthy, but only a handful get lucky enough to actually have it. I have a lot of trouble feeling sorry for the rich when Obama asks them to pay a bit more in taxes to help others.

Feel free to agree or dispute.
The people in my life that I know of, who are poor, are that way because they did it to themselves.

Some folks decided to goof off and party, as in not work hard in high school, and barely graduated, or they dropped out. After they graduated they did not get a job that had a future in it for growth.

Some folks who graduated high school did not further their education thru college or a tech school, or did not enter the workforce out of high school and join a company where they could learn a trade skill.

I also know some people who work that dead end job, and even though they put in hard manual labor, they are either too lazy, or too afraid to go to night school, or take a chance at getting a different job that might have a future to it.

A close relative got married young, to a lazy POS. They had two kids, and since he quit every job he started, they were always poor. She ended up divorcing him, and struggled, working a tough job and going to nursing school at night. It all paid off three years later, and she is doing very well now, but it took a lot of hard work. She could have just worked at her tough job, and not bothered to work even harder and going to school.

The point is, you can have a tough eight hour a day job, and and no one will accuse you of not working hard. However, some folks work that same job, and then go the extra mile at night school, or they work a second job, or they search for a better job that allows for growth.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I think this is one of the fundamental differences between Republicans and Democrats. Republicans feel sorry for rich people. Republicans think that the rich deserve everything they have, because they worked harder than other people to get it. Democrats feel sorry for poor people. Democrats think that poor people work just as hard, and in many cases harder, than rich people, but that rich people got lucky.

Personally i tend to side with the Dems on this issue... i'm sure the CEO making $500,000 a year works long hours, but so does the single mother doing a minimum wage job trying to feed her kids. I think a lot of Americans work very hard and deserve to be wealthy, but only a handful get lucky enough to actually have it. I have a lot of trouble feeling sorry for the rich when Obama asks them to pay a bit more in taxes to help others.

Feel free to agree or dispute.
Ah yes, that old Liberal excuse - LUCK. A convenient way to blame away failure.

Was it luck that the CEO went to college? Made good grades? Moved every few years to further his career? Made connections that helped him? Does he work smarter?

Did that single mom have her kid before she got her education? Did she get pregnant by a man that had no desire to support his family?

Republicans don't feel sorry for the rich. They appreciate them. And feel that you shouldn't punish success and sacrifice.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:00 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think the rich and lower/upper middle class. The poor work enough to get by, some don't work at all and some have never held a job. Doesn't take much to collect welfare and food stamps.
Sounds like a person i know, he never had a good paying job in his life, because he is one of those antagonistic and self destructive people. He ends up working jobs that require hard work, which he doesn't like. Inevitably he angers his boss and is fired, or he quits, or he does such a poor days work that he gets fired.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:05 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I began working when I was 14 years old and am 60 now, still working and i plan to work til I die....

In all that time I was never hired by anyone not wealthy.... For me it is enough to know poor people don't hire..

If you tax the rich too much they will stop earning interest and quit hiring.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:07 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,414,997 times
Depends on how the rich person got rich. If he was self made, he probably worked harder than a lot of poor people. If he was just born into money, probably not.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times
Some poor may work hard at their jobs but they are definatly not working hard at their lives.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:54 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
It depends. Some people are only where they are because of their pedigree and or their connections. It depends on what the person does as well. My step-son is an electrician. He makes almost 1.5 what my wife, a teacher. He would argue she, by virtue of dealing with people, works harder.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:57 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Poor people work?

What's so hard about going to the mailbox and getting welfare checks?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Poor people work?

What's so hard about going to the mailbox and getting welfare checks?
Not all poor people collect welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies