Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times

Advertisements

Month after month we get the unemployment report from the Dept. of Labor. One thing I noticed is that Asian unemployment is consistently low. For July, it was only 6.2%:

Quote:
Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for Hispanics (10.3 percent) edged
down in July, while the rates for adult men (7.7 percent), adult women (7.5 percent),
teenagers (23.8 percent), whites (7.4 percent), and blacks (14.1 percent) showed little
or no change. The jobless rate for Asians was 6.2 percent in July (not seasonally
adjusted), little changed from a year earlier. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.)
What's the secret sauce here? Soy sauce? LOL....ok, kidding. My hunch is Asians are better educated (higher college attainment rate), which translates to better employability. College graduates do have lower unemployment than high school grads.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
I think that you answered you own question. Plus many Asian Americans own their own businesses.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM

502 posts, read 717,231 times
Orientals are logical thinkers who make wise decisions when it comes to finding the right field of work and moving to where the job market is. They do not rack up worthless art degrees and live in hip/cultural neighborhoods where there are no good jobs like caucasians do.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:56 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fightforlove View Post
Orientals are logical thinkers who make wise decisions when it comes to finding the right field of work and moving to where the job market is. They do not rack up worthless art degrees and live in hip/cultural neighborhoods where there are no good jobs like caucasians do.
"Orientals"?

Umm, this is 2012 right?

Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Month after month we get the unemployment report from the Dept. of Labor. One thing I noticed is that Asian unemployment is consistently low. For July, it was only 6.2%:

What's the secret sauce here? Soy sauce? LOL....ok, kidding. My hunch is Asians are better educated (higher college attainment rate), which translates to better employability. College graduates do have lower unemployment than high school grads.
Based on the large group of Asians I know the main thing that sets them apart from most other cultures and their work ethics. To them it not important as to what job they are doing, what is important is that they have a job, any job, and that they are earning money for their family. This work ethic is passed on to their children along with the knowledge that the only way they will be able to do this is to finish high school with very good grades so that they can get the college degrees that will actually give them a chance to find gainful employment in the work force. Out of the dozen or so teenagers and young adults from this group that I speak with regularly, most of them are either attending college or about to attend college to become a nurse or a medical technician. The rest are pursuing computer related skills.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:08 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I read a book with a reference to it a few weeks ago. More than other groups they rely on other Asian people they know to help them find work. I think my book is in the car or I would find the passage and quote from it here. I believe I read it in a book called "Quiet" that was about introverts.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I read a book with a reference to it a few weeks ago. More than other groups they rely on other Asian people they know to help them find work. I think my book is in the car or I would find the passage and quote from it here. I believe I read it in a book called "Quiet" that was about introverts.
This is a very good point. And a good reason to support strong ethnic ties among minority groups. This is also true among the Hasidic Jewish community. In "taking care of their own" they lower unemployment and add to the economic betterment of the group as a whole.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
I have never seen a homeless Asian person.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
In my experience, Asians who own businesses do not hire non-Asians unless they have no alternative, and they never publicly declare job openings unless they have no alternative. There is a nearby Asian restaurant which recently posted a window sign looking for a "helper" - and posted it in Spanish.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
I have never seen a homeless Asian person.
I've never seen a homeless Latino person either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies