Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 01:32 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
There are a lot of Asians who actually hold more Republican/Conservative principles and values. At least fiscally. Socially, they tend to be pretty Conservative too, but there are a lot of younger Asians that are socially Libertarian. Which also falls into the Republican party.

But in many Asian cultures, how you appear to others matters a lot. The left has done a good job at making people believe that the tiny minority of racists control the Republican party, when it isn't the case at all. But people think it's a larger group because many people end up labeled as guilty by association.

So if you vote Republican, people assume certain negative things about you and your character because of some of the loons.
Um... the overwhelming majority of the republican party are anti-gay. Before 2003 when the supreme court declared anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional, republican states had anti-sodomy laws through popular vote.

Like my parents, we hold a lot of conservative values. But the current republican party scares the hell out of us. The hate coming from the right can only be described as frightening to those of us who just want to live in peace.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:33 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Um... the overwhelming majority of the republican party are anti-gay. Before 2003 when the supreme court declared anti-sodomy laws unconstitutional, republican states had anti-sodomy laws through popular vote.

Like my parents, we hold a lot of conservative values. But the current republican party scares the hell out of us. The hate coming from the right can only be described as frightening to those of us who just want to live in peace.
It is only a voiciferous minority. Somehow though they keep the party from allowing any dissention.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:43 PM

624 posts, read 379,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

I'm a registered Republican that sees myself as fiscally conservative and personally pretty socially conservative, but when government is concerned I'm socially libertarian. For example; just because I personally do not believe in getting divorced doesn't mean that I hold other people to that standard.

I love all people. There are many many many like me. But we don't fit into the narrative of how Republicans have been defined.

The toughest part about being a Republican isn't my belief system. It's that there are a few wackos that really do ruin it for everyone else. It's like if I say that I am a Republican I have to give a disclaimer that I don't share the views of the losers that also have decided to hitch on to the party.

The same thing doesn't happen as much with Democrats. They have their share of loonies. They have racist scumbags too. But on the left it's accepted that these people aren't the entire party.

When people think of the right, it's automatic guilt by association. And that's unfortunate. The left has done a great job at painting a stereotypical picture of the right, and enough people buy into it that they don't realize that they're buying into a prejudiced stereotype.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:31 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times
Quote:
I'm a registered Republican that sees myself as fiscally conservative and personally pretty socially conservative, but when government is concerned I'm socially libertarian. For example; just because I personally do not believe in getting divorced doesn't mean that I hold other people to that standard.

I love all people. There are many many many like me. But we don't fit into the narrative of how Republicans have been defined.

The toughest part about being a Republican isn't my belief system. It's that there are a few wackos that really do ruin it for everyone else. It's like if I say that I am a Republican I have to give a disclaimer that I don't share the views of the losers that also have decided to hitch on to the party.

The same thing doesn't happen as much with Democrats. They have their share of loonies. They have racist scumbags too. But on the left it's accepted that these people aren't the entire party.

When people think of the right, it's automatic guilt by association. And that's unfortunate. The left has done a great job at painting a stereotypical picture of the right, and enough people buy into it that they don't realize that they're buying into a prejudiced stereotype.

I've met plenty of right-wing loonies around the country to know that they are prominent and are found in just about everywhere. I don't think I just happened to repeatedly stumbled into the few "minorities" out there. And they are usually very open about their beliefs and took every chance to express it. One moment we were talking about having a hard time hiring qualified temps, then the next moment it's, "We wouldn't be having this problem if abortion is illegal!! Think of all the qualified applicants we'd get if they were allowed to live!!"

But thank God, most Asians are not in that camp.

I've read a study that for Chinese (those in China, not Chinese Americans), they tend to be conservative when young and become more liberal as they aged. Which is the opposite of how things are here, where most are liberal when young and then become more conservative as we age. I wonder if this is also true of the Chinese Americans.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:14 PM

624 posts, read 379,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I've met plenty of right-wing loonies around the country to know that they are prominent and are found in just about everywhere. I don't think I just happened to repeatedly stumbled into the few "minorities" out there. And they are usually very open about their beliefs and took every chance to express it. One moment we were talking about having a hard time hiring qualified temps, then the next moment it's, "We wouldn't be having this problem if abortion is illegal!! Think of all the qualified applicants we'd get if they were allowed to live!!"
I don't think that being pro-choice makes someone loony. I hope you don't define looy as someone that disagrees with you.

I've also met a bunch of left-wingers that are quite extreme in their views and their intolerance. But the difference is that I don't judge the whole by the ones I've met, because I also have met many good people.

I'm sure you've met a lot of good Republicans, but the instances of bad ones are the ones that stand out to you.

Quote:
But thank God, most Asians are not in that camp.

I've read a study that for Chinese (those in China, not Chinese Americans), they tend to be conservative when young and become more liberal as they aged. Which is the opposite of how things are here, where most are liberal when young and then become more conservative as we age. I wonder if this is also true of the Chinese Americans.
That's interesting. I think it could be people just eventually slowly going towards somewhere in the middle (relatively).

If you start off as very liberal, you'll probably float towards more conservative as you age. If you start off as far too conservative, you'll become less stringent and float left.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:23 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,764 times
Chinese American Politicians. Mostly Democrat. (for those I clicked on)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...hinese_descent

As for everyday people. Majority Democrat or "don't gives a rats @zz" mind their own business and just want to be left alone.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
also very few Asian homeless people

Old 08-19-2015, 01:01 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times
For reasons others have mentioned before me. However, these cultural attributes come with a cost. Asian Americans often have low self esteem and are burdened to meet high expectations set out by their parents.

BTW, what type of Asians are you referring to because East Asians and Southeast Asians have different cultural norms. There are a segment of Southeast Asian communities that find themselves in poverty and in and out of the criminal justice system. In Seattle, there are Cambodian gangs. I believe in California that there are gangs where Filipinos are heavily represented.

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 08-19-2015 at 01:54 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I don't think that being pro-choice makes someone loony. I hope you don't define looy as someone that disagrees with you.

I've also met a bunch of left-wingers that are quite extreme in their views and their intolerance. But the difference is that I don't judge the whole by the ones I've met, because I also have met many good people.

I'm sure you've met a lot of good Republicans, but the instances of bad ones are the ones that stand out to you.
Being pro-choice doesn't make one loony, but being pro-choice and thinks every conversational topic, regardless of the settings, can be tied directly back to pro-choice is definitely loony. When we're talking about business, I don't think politics (especially one as hot potato as abortion) would be brought up by anyone other than a loon.

I've met plenty of friendly Republicans. I think being loony doesn't stop one from being friendly and nice - I'm sure many loony conservatives who think Obama is a Muslim secretly working for a Sudanese rebel forces hell bend on destroying the world are also model citizens who would give help to strangers. So just because I've met plenty of nice people in Red states, doesn't really prove anything. But I've met more than my share of loony conservatives to know that they exist and are not uncommon to run into.

Quote:
That's interesting. I think it could be people just eventually slowly going towards somewhere in the middle (relatively).

If you start off as very liberal, you'll probably float towards more conservative as you age. If you start off as far too conservative, you'll become less stringent and float left.
Could be.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
For reasons others have mentioned before me. However, these cultural attributes come with a cost. Asian Americans often have low self esteem and are burdened to meet high expectations set out by their parents.
I've found that to be completely and utterly hogwash. Think about it, any kid who could meet the high expectation would not have self esteem issues, and any kid who fail to meet that expectation would be just like everyone else; and would fit right in.

I've found these so-called high expectation to be utterly untrue. Sure, there are always a few families like that, but in general, most Asian parents are just as overwhelmed about raising children as everyone else. Forget high expectation, most Asian parents are just happy if the kids stay out of trouble; just like most parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
BTW, what type of Asians are you referring to because East Asians and Southeast Asians have different cultural norms. There are a segment of Southeast Asian communities that find themselves in poverty and in and out of the criminal justice system. In Seattle, there are Cambodian gangs. I believe in California that there are gangs where Filipinos are heavily represented.
In CA, it's mostly Chinese and some Vietnamese; and they sometimes work together or as a subcontract type settings. Yes, there are a few Philipino gangbangers as well, but they're generally not as prominent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies